Aug 25 2013
By: Mordekaiser1v5 First Son 17 posts

PS4 price differences

9 replies 454 views Edited Aug 25, 2013

When Sony released the PS4 price i was pleased to hear that it will be in stores for 400 euro (i'm from Europe).

But what i don't understand is why the price difference is so big between dollars, euros and pounds.

In America it will be sold for 400 dollar.

In Europe it wil lbe sound for 400 euro.

And in the UK it will be sold for 349 pounds.

When you compare this with the current currency you will see the following:

400 euro =     535,28 dollar

349 pound =  543,57 pounds

People from Europe and the UK pay alot more for their PS4 console then Americans do. In my opinion Sony should do something about this and there are multiple ways to do this.

- Increase the $ price

- Decrease the € and £ price

- Give people from Europe and the UK a free game or a discount on a future PSN purchase.

I know i'm currently surrounded by Americans because i'm posting this in the US forums, but the EU forums don't have a general forum to post at.

But does anyone agree with me? I mean as you can see it's a pretty big price difference and it would be more then fair to look into this. Maybe someone from PS4 marketing can look this over. To be honest, i'm pretty sure they've allready taught about this but can someone tell me why it's done this way?

Message 1 of 10 (454 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6003 posts

Re: PS4 price differences

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2013

Mordekaiser1v5 wrote:

When Sony released the PS4 price i was pleased to hear that it will be in stores for 400 euro (i'm from Europe).

But what i don't understand is why the price difference is so big between dollars, euros and pounds.

People from Europe and the UK pay alot more for their PS4 console then Americans do. In my opinion Sony should do something about this and there are multiple ways to do this.

- Increase the $ price

- Give people from Europe and the UK a free game or a discount on a future PSN purchase.

I know i'm currently surrounded by Americans because i'm posting this in the US forums, but the EU forums don't have a general forum to post at.

But does anyone agree with me? I mean as you can see it's a pretty big price difference and it would be more then fair to look into this. Maybe someone from PS4 marketing can look this over. To be honest, i'm pretty sure they've allready taught about this but can someone tell me why it's done this way?

Hasn't it always been like this because of the money value in that country? The PS3 's cheapest price is the 12GB model which is 175 pounds but converted to US dollars would be $272.50 (our 12GB US price is $199), it's always been like this. Japan is the same way where the conversion rate shows that if we were to import a PS3 from Japan now it would cost us over $300 for the cheapest unit. The value amount is key here, not corporate policies.

Message 2 of 10 (443 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13578 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2013

Mordekaiser1v5 wrote:

- Increase the $ price

You obviously didn't bother to look:

PS4 General Discussion EU:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-General-Discussion/bd-p/bEN_PS4GD

General Discussion EU:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/70

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 10 (439 Views)
First Son
23 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2013
I'm in Australia and the cost is $550.00 aus and we get it on the 25-11-13. As of today $399 Aus equals to $360.26 USA, but we pay a lots more. The ps4 in USA is ntsc and eu is pal, and different power volts for different courtiers. The system is cheater to build it for the ntsc region then the eu region, that's why we pay more, they have to recode it because of region restriction and it cost more to post over seas then in the usa. If they build the system for pal region first then ntsc, the price would be the other way around.
Message 4 of 10 (417 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28836 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 25, 2013

Mordekaiser1v5 wrote:

- Increase the $ price

Prices are not in the same currency all over the world. They are regionalized and subject to local sales, government, and Value Added Taxes. There's nothing Sony can do about it.

Message 5 of 10 (404 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Aug 26, 2013

The price difference, is because of the exchange rate between currencies as well as taxes.

If you knew anything about that, you wouldn't be crying about it.... 

Heres a thought..... don't worry about what something costs in another country, unless you're planning on moving to another country. The only thing you're doing is making yourself angry at something that is not in your control.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 10 (339 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Aug 26, 2013
It's not about exchange rate, if that was true it would be cheaper in Australia not a $150 more. It's because they use different parts in the eu(pal) ps4 then the USA(ntsc) ps4.
Message 7 of 10 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 26, 2013

k1rkworm wrote:
It's not about exchange rate, if that was true it would be cheaper in Australia not a $150 more. It's because they use different parts in the eu(pal) ps4 then the USA(ntsc) ps4.

Australia also has a higher minimum wage and overall higher average income.

Federal US minimum hourly wage is $7.25. Australia's minimum hourly wage is $15 DOUBLE. "

Yes, the exchange rate has nothing to do with Australia because $1USD = 0.90 AUD, but there are other factors attributed to the high cost of some goods and services.
Most of that can be blamed by those in charge in the Australian government who dictate such things.
Then again, when companies see that the minimum wage is $15AUD/hr they'll be inclined to milk it. But thats not to say that every company will. 

a $7/hr wage is JUST barely above the poverty line yet you can barely live decently with it. At $15/hr, you can make a decent living with that for someone who is single and no kids.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 10 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Aug 26, 2013

That's a pretty marginal difference when you look at it..Essentially the same price.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 9 of 10 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
521 posts

Aug 26, 2013

Increasing the American price is your solution? I'm sorry what?

Honestly I hate ho mucg they charge you guys, its not fair at all. I'm sure it has something tovdo with your economy, but I hope that soon people will come to their senses and lower the EU prices.

Message 10 of 10 (294 Views)
0 Likes