Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Keyblade Wielder
9923 posts

Re: PS4 is like 'a really perfect gaming PC,' says Epic VP

Apr 3, 2013
You provided one Steam survey. I have a Steam account. Was I in the survey? If we took surveys serious, this means females make up 47% of the gaming market as of 2012 and are about to take over as the majority.

Now what good side does Epic need to get on? I'm pretty sure Sony would love to have something like a Gears of War or even a console exclusive FORTnITE. Right now, Epic is one of Microsofts key players. I'm pretty sure the buttering up wouldn't have to come from Epics side.
Message 11 of 18 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
You provided one Steam survey. I have a Steam account. Was I in the survey? If we took surveys serious, this means females make up 47% of the gaming market as of 2012 and are about to take over as the majority.

Now what good side does Epic need to get on? I'm pretty sure Sony would love to have something like a Gears of War or even a console exclusive FORTnITE. Right now, Epic is one of Microsofts key players. I'm pretty sure the buttering up wouldn't have to come from Epics side.

Cliffy left Epic last year. in the community

-Great Prophet of Sony
Message 12 of 18 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Apr 3, 2013
In the past, people called the original xbox pc, too. I read much about the failure of MS's first console and now somehow having, just a tiny, bad feeling about Sony's next console.

But I'm still saing up for ps4 now
Message 13 of 18 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7616 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:

"The other exciting thing is that... when you think about Windows, even Windows for most people is tied to about 2GB of addressable memory space. This really opens up beyond what most PCs can do, because most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows.

Just to clear any confusion:

Physical Memory Addressing =/= Per-Process Addressing

Windows 32Bit can physically address up 4GB of RAM, however a single process (Game, App, whatever) is capped by Windows to 2GB by dafault and with 3GB being the absolute limit with large addresses (not many supported).

Even the 64Bit version of Windows has a cap, 2GB by default (!) and 4GB with large addresses.

So even if your PC has 16GB of RAM, a single game maxes out at 4GB, full stop.

SOURCE:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx?siteID=rGMTN56tf_w-lzptnhHEdClzrgW....

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Message 14 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3946 posts

Apr 3, 2013
I'm not a PC gamer, but I know much about specs and even my roommates PC is still more powerful than the ps4. Granted, he put about 5K into it and come from a wealthy background ..Rich nerds.....
Message 15 of 18 (204 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
49161 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
http://m.computerandvideogames.com/398813/ps4-is-like-a-really-perfect-gaming-pc-says-epic-vp/

An Epic Games exec has compared the PlayStation 4 to "a really perfect gaming PC," citing the console's combination of "phenomenal" hardware and convenient user experience.

Speaking to CVG in a recent interview, VP Mark Rein called Sony's decision to incorporate off-the-shelf PC components in PS4 "very smart," because in his opinion it will allow many developers to hit the ground running with their next-gen game development.

He also pointed to the memory limitations of the 32-bit versions of Windows as an example of how PS4 titles could even surpass what "most PCs" can do.

"I think it's a very smart move on Sony's behalf to build this sort of enhanced PC architecture and then put so much in it," he said.

"Let's not forget it has 16 times the memory we had in PlayStation 3 - that's not insignificant. Knowing that every machine has that... we can do crazy, ridiculous stuff with that.

"The other exciting thing is that... when you think about Windows, even Windows for most people is tied to about 2GB of addressable memory space. This really opens up beyond what most PCs can do, because most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows.

"It's like giving you the world's best PC," he added, pointing to Sony's introduction of "super convenient" features such as the ability to play games while they're downloading and perform background updates.

"The kind of stuff that they announced that they're doing, the level of convenience and things like that... they're making a really perfect gaming PC," he added.

"I've always said that the things in the next-generation that aren't just brute force hardware are all about the service and simplicity of the experience - the things that make it as fun and easy to get a PS4 game as it is to get a game on your iPad."

So it COULD handle a MAG2 really really well!  :smileywink:

This is good news for us as gamers, it means game devs may bring more titles to the PS4 since they should be able to easily recode a few things for a PC game to run on the PS4

What's good Murderstyle75?

Message 16 of 18 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:

Just to clear any confusion:

Physical Memory Addressing =/= Per-Process Addressing

Windows 32Bit can physically address up 4GB of RAM, however a single process (Game, App, whatever) is capped by Windows to 2GB by dafault and with 3GB being the absolute limit with large addresses (not many supported).

Even the 64Bit version of Windows has a cap, 2GB by default (!) and 4GB with large addresses.

So even if your PC has 16GB of RAM, a single game maxes out at 4GB, full stop.

SOURCE:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx?siteID=rGMTN56tf_w-lzptnhHEdClzrgW....

You're interpreting that incorrectly (or simply not looking at the full data). The 2GB/4GB limit on 64-bit is for 32-bit apps. 64-bit apps can use up to 8GB. Not many games have 64-bit clients, but some do. If the extra memory was really needed, then I'm sure we'd see more 64-bit clients, but it's really only useful for resource-intensive apps like Adobe and Autodesk products.

Message 17 of 18 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3946 posts

Apr 3, 2013
I know my roommate has 12GB of RAM.....bad boy runs smooth as butter
Message 18 of 18 (117 Views)
0 Likes