MVP Support
10771 posts

Re: PS4: enough for everyone?

Aug 27, 2013

I just walked into my local gamestop as I haven't yet preordered a PS4 (though I am now near the top of my store's 'need to know' list).

According to the manager, they currently have 63 preorders for the PS4 (they expect to have a total of about 75 units for day 1, but they are only getting unit confirmations for about 8-10 at a time, which sell out in a matter of hours each time they open more preorders), 13 for the XB1 (for what is currently a day 1 stock of 25).

I also asked him about the supposed Nov 8 release date for the XB1.  He basically said that if it was going to be out before the PS4, they'd have heard something by now, which they haven't.  He said that he'd be surprised to see it before the end of November, and that would be pushing it. 

Message 21 of 24 (147 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Aug 27, 2013

I think it all has been said before. It really does depend on where you are located. Urban areas, college towns, and big cities usually will run out. Some stores like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Shopco will recieve more than their pre-order but they will not know how many until they get them. I believe corporate decides that based on demographics. 

You could be lucky enough to walk in and find one. I have done that with some special edition games, Jordans, and other specialty items. It is because the demand or following is not as high in the area I live in. 

Always know that when you buy a system at launch day one you are always buying the first gen of that system if you pre-ordered it or bought it as a walk in. Whatever system things happen such as read errors, bugs, glitches, and ect will be the same chance for anyone on their first release of the new system. So for whatever reason you are holding out on the pre-order I doubt is going to change if you did or did not pre-order.

If you are trying to figure out if you will enjoy the X-Box over the Playstation or vice versa then the only advice I could give is to wait until they are released a few months and do your research, play your friends, and see what happens.

Message 22 of 24 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 28, 2013

Amnalehu wrote:

Shadelon wrote:

Amnalehu wrote:

I think you will have a very hard time getting one on launvh day unless you do a pre-order. If you really want the system at launch don't take a chance. Go to Walmart and put 10% down and that will secure your PS4. I have heard many times that extra Dual Shock 4's will be in short supply so I would also suggest adding one of those to you pre-order as well.

Some people seem to have something against preordering. I wonder sometimes if they really have any idea what Gamestop's full preorder policy is, which if you ask me is far better than Walmart or Best Buy.

I think anyone who thinks they'll be able to get one on launch day without a preorder very easily at all is seriously out of their bloody minds. It MIGHT be possible, but it will be nigh impossible. It will be like trying to find a cat hair in a haystack.

how does the gamestop pre-order policy differ from the walmart policy?

Walmart, Target or Best Buy, I BELIEVE (don't quote me on this) will give you a certain amount of time to pick up your preorder. If you don't pick it up in time, they cancel your preorder. Gamestop doesn't do that. Gamestop will hold on to a console for you for 48 hours, but they keep your preorder in their system indefinitely, so you can wait for another shipment of consoles to come in if you need to. I like it cause it gives me all the time in the world to pay it off, kinda like an infinite layaway. I'll sometimes just throw down $5 on a game just to have the preorder so I can pay it off over time, even if I don't necessarily plan to pick it up on day 1.

I had a preorder on PS All-Stars for like 8 months after the game had come out before I finally took the $5 off of it for my Pokemon Y preorder. Just very convenient for me.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 23 of 24 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11495 posts

Aug 28, 2013
Walmart will give people till dec 13th to payoff their ps4 preorder
>

Message 24 of 24 (119 Views)
0 Likes