Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: PS4 connection speed too slow. Any other wifi device at home, ok

Dec 23, 2013

PAUL-AWOL- wrote:

sql-lover wrote:
Ok

So. So bought my PS4 recently and so far, happy with the device. Except that online experience is painfully slow. I test the connection speed from the actual console and I'm not getting anything higher than 2mbps, which is too slow. I have Xfinity with 40Mbps top. And all my other wifi devices at home get good speed.

Any ideas what could be? I don't think my console is broken, but it may be ....

To give an idea. My ipad air downloads are 24mbps at 12ms latency,

I have so much stuff going on in my house with all the apple products being used that I recently purchased the 199.00 Apple wireless router and made my family switch to that versus using my Net Gear gaming Router. I now have my new Net Gear gaming router just for my PS4 and it flies, so try reducing the usage of your router that is used for your PS4. 

I own two wireless routers that seperate the usage and I wish I would have done this years ago with my PS3. 

Router set up

If you have to use two routers... Something is wrong. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 31 of 58 (19,178 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 23, 2013

The

R1111001 wrote:

I have noticed it isn't just wireless or the PS4 speed tester. I am wired and tested my speed via browser with a third party company. I pay for 50mbps and on my PS4 I only get 20-25 mbps wired directly to the modem with all firewalls turned off. I know it isn't my ISP because I tested my speeds with my other devices and they are getting close to 50 mbps connection speeds. I work as a System Administrator and I have tried everything I can think of on my end. 20mbps is fine for gaming but when I am streaming hi def rented movies the quality fluctuates which is really annoying when I paid to rent the hi def version. Can anyone else with more experience comment? Is this a PSN server/latency issue or are the NIC in the PS4 no good? This is my first playstation so I have no prior experience with PSN to go off of.

PS4's speed test IS NOT an approximation/accurrate. 

You are still connecting to the PSN first, before the speed test is run.

You are almost NEVER going to fully saturate the bandwidth you pay for, it even says in your ISP contract that the speed you pay for, is not a guarantee. Also ISPs can fudge speed tests to make it appear that you are getting what you pay for. And regardless of any firewalls and proxies you bypass... You are still at the mercy of other proxies and firewalls that you cannot bypass, which exist on the backbone of the internet. 

I pay for 30/1.... sometimes I get more, sometimes less.

Most speed tests only show what you get when you're saturated.

Think of the internet as a highway, and your bandwidth is your car... While the speed limit says you can go 50mbps, the traffic around you doesn't let you because of other people on the highway.

Speed test sites are just separate highways with unrestricted speed limits that tell you how fast your car can go at full tilt. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 32 of 58 (19,178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Jan 19, 2014
Has anyone found a real solution to this ?
Message 33 of 58 (18,976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

OMG! you guys are killing me. especially the story about the cat 5 gets interference! If that was true every corperation in the world  would of never worked right. heres the scoop- if you want to connect your PS4 using  a wireless router  you need to add the ports that PS network requires. 

My sons connection went from 2 mb/s to 17/mbs download after doing this. but im about ready to cut it back off because i'm getting sick of hearing about his kill streaks.

I have no idea what routers you guys have, but they all have the ability to forward the ports. Google- PS4 router port forwarding. ...and what ever you do, don't listen to the morons advising you to run your router in DMZ. Now look all the money we saved! LOL

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-change-nat-type-open-port-forwarding/

your PS4 is assigned a IP address automatically from the DHCP of your router. after your done entering all the ports used for PS4 network.make sure you save and logout. restart your modem and router. unplug then plug in sequence modem then routher. comcast phone/internet customers will have to remove the battery from their EMTA (phone internet router) before reseting or unplugging. 

you might not get it right the first time, but all the info is on the world wide web. but, fortunatley i been in the buseness for 15 years.

Message 34 of 58 (18,950 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Nathandawg wrote:

I have no idea what routers you guys have, but they all have the ability to forward the ports. Google- PS4 router port forwarding. ...and what ever you do, don't listen to the morons advising you to run your router in DMZ. Now look all the money we saved! LOL

Putting the PS4's IP address in the DMZ is the easiest route to take because finding ALL of the ports for the PSN, Store, and individual games are difficult to find.

There is NOTHING wrong with putting a console in DMZ. 

Just because you've "been in the business for 15 years" doesn't mean squat. It just means you are more set in your ways and not willing to accept someone else's solution.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 35 of 58 (18,942 Views)
Fender Bender
2565 posts

Jan 23, 2014
^yea but putting it in DMZ opens up all the ports and will let hackers have very easier access to your network(in a nuteshell)
Message 36 of 58 (18,939 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1004 posts

Jan 23, 2014

ajgotti wrote:
I have the same exact issue you have even when i plug in my ethernet cord i only recieve like 26 mbps and if i hook it directly into my cpu i get 1 gbps

I don't think you know what a CPU is....

Message 37 of 58 (18,929 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1004 posts

Jan 23, 2014

sql-lover wrote:

Ok.

Fixed ... or let's say, improved performance. This is what I did.

It looks like the PS4 and actually, my PS3 as well, were located on an area with medium to low signal. A year or two ago I did not notice that too much as I did not have the same amount of wifi devices I have now (two more iPads, Vita, etc) so the bandwith was acceptable.

What I did was moved the actual Comcast modem 1 to 2 feet closer to that room. I also moved it higher. That move alone boosted performance 2 mpbs.

Long term, I will have to use a wired connection. The problem is that the Comcast modem is in another room. So I will have to hire someone to extend the connection and drop some cables or do it myself and plug the PS4 directly to the modem. This is the only way that I can get decent speeds, most of the time.

By the way, I also tried a wifi booster and that was a waste of money. I need to return it. I actually boost the wifi signal but on my case, did nothing in terms of speed.

If you want the best performace, I recommend that you ditch a wireless connection and go direct with an ethernet cord. Wired will always be better than wireless.

Message 38 of 58 (18,929 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

here is what i did : i gave the console a static ip and a...

Jan 23, 2014

here is what i did : i gave the console a static ip and add that ip to dmz setting in the router, also try and add your dns ips manually and don't do automatic settings. 

Message 39 of 58 (18,928 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Re: here is what i did : i gave the console a static ip and a...

Jan 23, 2014
I am wired and I use open dns settings for the static ips.
Message 40 of 58 (18,924 Views)
0 Likes