First Son
11 posts

Re: PS4 connection speed too slow. Any other wifi device at home, ok

Nov 27, 2013
Well, yes, I can do it myself but I want the cables hidden, inside the dry wall. That's a lot of work and will require go to attic , etc. I may need a professional for that.
Message 11 of 58 (7,838 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10759 posts

Nov 27, 2013

I've learned to completely ignore the speed that the PS3/PS4 connection test shows.

My PS3 has never shown more than 2-3MBps on the connection test, yet when I download something from the store, it downloads as fast as I would expect it to.  Of course, I only run my consoles wired.  At any rate, I wouldn't trust a wifi connection with a file larger than about 1-2GB, as it only takes one or two bad data packets to corrupt an entire download.  Pretty much ANY file you download on the PS4 is going to be larger.

Luckily, in my case, my game room/den is directly on the other side of the wall from my router, so running the ethernet through a single wall is easy.

As for getting an ethernet cable to another room in the house, running the ethernet along the floorboards and under carpet would actually be a viable option for me, and would not be all that difficult.

Message 12 of 58 (7,836 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Nov 27, 2013

Well ...

You are right about using wired connections. It will always be faster than wifi. But like I said , it may or may not be a viable solution depending of the console's location.

I am temporary fixing the issue dropping the network cable over the wall and carpet. But long term, I will hire someone to do a more professional installation so the cable can be dropped from the attick and inside the dry wall. I do not have the time or skills to do a decent job in a reasonable amount of time. Let's call that ... stimulating the USA economy, lol ...

Message 13 of 58 (7,829 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

Dec 12, 2013

Actually cat5 is shielded. Cat6 just has better shielding. If you had issues with your old wiring it because there was a short in a wire or a rodent chewed through the shielding. It sounds like swapping out you old home wires were what solved the problem not upgrading to cat 6.

Message 14 of 58 (7,671 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13533 posts

Dec 12, 2013

ajgotti wrote:
I have the same exact issue you have even when i plug in my ethernet cord i only recieve like 26 mbps and if i hook it directly into my cpu i get 1 gbps

Absolute BS.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 58 (7,666 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9449 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 12, 2013

sql-lover wrote:
Ok

So. So bought my PS4 recently and so far, happy with the device. Except that online experience is painfully slow. I test the connection speed from the actual console and I'm not getting anything higher than 2mbps, which is too slow. I have Xfinity with 40Mbps top. And all my other wifi devices at home get good speed.

Any ideas what could be? I don't think my console is broken, but it may be ....

To give an idea. My ipad air downloads are 24mbps at 12ms latency,

I have so much stuff going on in my house with all the apple products being used that I recently purchased the 199.00 Apple wireless router and made my family switch to that versus using my Net Gear gaming Router. I now have my new Net Gear gaming router just for my PS4 and it flies, so try reducing the usage of your router that is used for your PS4. 

I own two wireless routers that seperate the usage and I wish I would have done this years ago with my PS3. 

Router set up

photo d59f01ca-fca3-486a-9154-fb049f5d92d9_zpsk0wxrdwb.png
Message 16 of 58 (7,666 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Dec 12, 2013
I had the same issue a while back with my wi-fi signal reaching my bedroom. My cable modem and wi-fi router were in my living room but the signal was slow by the time it got to my bedroom (this was in a one bedroom apartment too). That was with an old 802.11g wi-fi router. That signal type wasn't strong enough to go through the furniture and one wall separating my dining room from my bedroom.

I then upgraded to a dual band 802.11n wi-fi router and everything was peachy keen. Even now in my two bedroom apartment (which is about twice as big), my wi-fi signal is at almost 100% throughout. The new dual band 802.11ac routers are supposed to provide better signals even for 802.11n wi-fi.

You should also note that the download speeds listed by your PS4 can vary all over the place. I've run the test about 5 times now and get a different number every time. I'm paying for a 10Mbps connection but it's a solid 12Mbps for most of the day (except for 90 minutes between 5:00 PM and 6:30 PM due to peak traffic). My iPad, Mac, and iPhone 5 all register the full 12Mbps when using SpeedTest. My PS4 has reported five different numbers across the five different tests. The first one reported 25Mbps, the next reported 1Mbps, the third came in at 5Mbps, the fourth reported 7Mbps, and the last one said my connection was 3Mbps. My actual download speeds from the PSN stay at a solid 12Mbps (when nothing else is using the network) but the PS4's internet test seems to be a little wonky. Other people have reported irregular behavior with that test too.
Message 17 of 58 (7,643 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

Dec 12, 2013

I have noticed it isn't just wireless or the PS4 speed tester. I am wired and tested my speed via browser with a third party company. I pay for 50mbps and on my PS4 I only get 20-25 mbps wired directly to the modem with all firewalls turned off. I know it isn't my ISP because I tested my speeds with my other devices and they are getting close to 50 mbps connection speeds. I work as a System Administrator and I have tried everything I can think of on my end. 20mbps is fine for gaming but when I am streaming hi def rented movies the quality fluctuates which is really annoying when I paid to rent the hi def version. Can anyone else with more experience comment? Is this a PSN server/latency issue or are the NIC in the PS4 no good? This is my first playstation so I have no prior experience with PSN to go off of.

Message 18 of 58 (7,637 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Dec 12, 2013

I am having similar probs, i play some games such as acbf, nba 2k14 no probs,bf4 is a lag fest but think thats an issue with ea. And i can tell you now i played ps3 all gen 100 percent wifi strength. Ps4 only getting in the 60 or 70 range area. Ps3 no issues since 2010. I dunno if this is just a launch issue or if ps4 has no good wifi. My prob is i get cannot cnect to network every other day and i hav to put in wifi code again. Like u wired connection for me is a huge hassle.  Never had any issues wit ps3

Message 19 of 58 (7,632 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Dec 12, 2013

If your wired i have no idea my post was in reference to wifi I mean my ps4 online is fine on like acbf its saying upload GOOD etc Optimal experience But my ps4 keeps on disconnecting and wont find the networks i hav no explanation. Only differnce from ps3 is i hav 60 70 strength on ps4 ps3 was 100

Message 20 of 58 (7,627 Views)
0 Likes