Nov 22 2013
By: sql-lover First Son 11 posts

PS4 connection speed too slow. Help?

[ Edited ]
57 replies 36207 views Edited Jan 23, 2014

Ok

So. So bought my PS4 recently and so far, happy with the device. Except that online experience is painfully slow. I test the connection speed from the actual console and I'm not getting anything higher than 2mbps, which is too slow. I have Xfinity with 40Mbps top. And all my other wifi devices at home get good speed.

Any ideas what could be? I don't think my console is broken, but it may be ....

To give an idea. My ipad air downloads are 24mbps at 12ms latency,

Message 1 of 58 (36,207 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Re: PS4 connection speed too slow. Any other wifi device at home, ok

Nov 22, 2013
Real world speeds and PSN speeds have never been related without proxy shenanigans. That being said, my PS4 is faster than my PS3 ever was.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 2 of 58 (36,204 Views)
First Son
11 posts

Nov 22, 2013
What are you trying to say, that I need to tweak my model or use a proxy? I mean, if the PS4 connection speed number is an approximation, let's say 1mbps up or down, still is slow. I can feel the pain when playing.

I don't think 2.5 or so it's normal.
Message 3 of 58 (36,200 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Nov 22, 2013
*** EDIT ***

Does not seem like a hardware problem.

I used my cellphone as wifi hotspot and I get 11mbps. So it is something with Comcast. I wonder what the problem is. Because I get decent downloads on my other devices.
Message 4 of 58 (36,188 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Nov 22, 2013
I have the same exact issue you have even when i plug in my ethernet cord i only recieve like 26 mbps and if i hook it directly into my cpu i get 1 gbps
Message 5 of 58 (36,182 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Nov 22, 2013

I mean speed via the PSN has always been slower than the speeds you get over your direct intenet connection with any other device.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 6 of 58 (36,179 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 22, 2013
Why I get faster speed using my cellphone? And why any other wifi device at home gets faster speed? It makes no sense. If I'm getting 2mpbs wifi using my PS4, I should get that or around that on my iPad, netbook, etc.

I mean, I'm not even getting 10mbps at least. I get 3mbps down if I'm lucky. That's painfully slow. I can't play BF4, the lag is horrendous,

Yes, I know wired connection(s) should be faster but it seems that the only slow wifi device at home is my PS4.
Message 7 of 58 (36,164 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 22, 2013

I am having the same wifi problem its a painful experience and I cannot find a solution to fix it anywhere. Any help would be great and from what I read Playstation is no help finding a solution.

Message 8 of 58 (36,158 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2013

Ok.

Fixed ... or let's say, improved performance. This is what I did.

It looks like the PS4 and actually, my PS3 as well, were located on an area with medium to low signal. A year or two ago I did not notice that too much as I did not have the same amount of wifi devices I have now (two more iPads, Vita, etc) so the bandwith was acceptable.

What I did was moved the actual Comcast modem 1 to 2 feet closer to that room. I also moved it higher. That move alone boosted performance 2 mpbs.

Long term, I will have to use a wired connection. The problem is that the Comcast modem is in another room. So I will have to hire someone to extend the connection and drop some cables or do it myself and plug the PS4 directly to the modem. This is the only way that I can get decent speeds, most of the time.

By the way, I also tried a wifi booster and that was a waste of money. I need to return it. I actually boost the wifi signal but on my case, did nothing in terms of speed.

Message 9 of 58 (36,018 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2013

Buy some Cat6 cable from monoprice.com and route it yourself.

They sell it in bulk lengths so you can get a few hundred feet worth for a couple bucks. A LOT less than having someone come out and do it for you, and a lot less than buying the length you need at retail costs.
They also sell 1000feet of unterminated (no RJ45/ethernet plugs) Cat6 so that you can terminate however long you need, and you only need the crimp/cutting tool and kit for a few extra bucks.

But it HAS TO BE Cat6.... as its shielded. Running cat5 through your walls/attic, which is unshielded, you will get network errors/time-out/lag due to interference from the electrical cables that exist in the walls and attic of your place.

I had a similar issue with my home where it was built with Cat5, but even running the best networking hardware and software still had me have all sorts of networking issues. After a long time of troubleshooting and replacing equipment, I re-ran the ethernet cables in my home with Cat6 and problem solved. Now I have one Gigabit Ethernet port in every room of my house.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 58 (35,998 Views)