First Son
2 posts

Re: PS4 connection speed too slow. Any other wifi device at home, ok

Jan 27, 2014
It's not for a specific game! whoever said anything about a specific game? its the ports for ps network which you need to be logged into to play all games!

Ok so everyone knows who is right. I challenge you! Make sure your router is in DMZ and post your WAN IP address!
I
Message 41 of 58 (3,022 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Re: PS4 connection speed too slow. Help?

Mar 3, 2014
Hey if anyone is still having issues with their router I may have found a fix to the issue. I too was also having speed issues with wifi and I have comcast. I was getting 40 Mbps down Ethernet and 2 wifi. I knew there was something wrong. I placed my ps4 closer to the router and that helped but what helped the most was I went to my browser on my PC and went into router settings. There is an option to change the router to a certain channel (1, 6, or 11) change the channel to 11. I now am only getting 20 Mbps (in the original spot, not closer to the router) but that is much better than 2 previously and having to run a Ethernet cord through my floor to the other room. So give it a try and see if it helps like it did for me!
Message 42 of 58 (2,769 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Mar 11, 2014

Yea mine was like that but i used custom network settings rather than easy now got 12mbps

Message 43 of 58 (2,720 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

Mar 11, 2014
Like others have said if you are running wired to you router/modem port forward all the most common ports that the ps4 will use. Now personally I would never run any video game console wirelessly due to throughput loss, and wireless interference. If you have no other choice do like the user said above and try switching channels or go to the 5ghz range ifnit is possible with your hardware. You have to remember that wireless routers usually default to the most common wireless channel. That means you will have severe interference especially if you have close neighbors. This is due to the fact that most people are running on the same channel by default because they aren't knowledgeable enough to change it.
Message 44 of 58 (2,712 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 11, 2014

Pinktoe_ wrote:
^yea but putting it in DMZ opens up all the ports and will let hackers have very easier access to your network(in a nuteshell)

No. It wont.

You might want to take some classes in Network Admin/IT.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 45 of 58 (2,706 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 5, 2014

What you said might work. But can you give me details where to do that plz.

Message 46 of 58 (2,073 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7600 posts

Aug 5, 2014

Nathandawg wrote:

OMG! you guys are killing me. especially the story about the cat 5 gets interference! If that was true every corperation in the world  would of never worked right. heres the scoop- if you want to connect your PS4 using  a wireless router  you need to add the ports that PS network requires. 

My sons connection went from 2 mb/s to 17/mbs download after doing this. but im about ready to cut it back off because i'm getting sick of hearing about his kill streaks.

I have no idea what routers you guys have, but they all have the ability to forward the ports. Google- PS4 router port forwarding. ...and what ever you do, don't listen to the morons advising you to run your router in DMZ. Now look all the money we saved! LOL

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-change-nat-type-open-port-forwarding/

your PS4 is assigned a IP address automatically from the DHCP of your router. after your done entering all the ports used for PS4 network.make sure you save and logout. restart your modem and router. unplug then plug in sequence modem then routher. comcast phone/internet customers will have to remove the battery from their EMTA (phone internet router) before reseting or unplugging. 

you might not get it right the first time, but all the info is on the world wide web. but, fortunatley i been in the buseness for 15 years.

First of all there is NO risk by putting a console in the DMZ. Please share what services are hackable on a console with it in the DMZ for us idiots...oh wait nevermind, there are NONE!

Second of all, with YOUR setup it will not work. And IF you have been in the business for 15 years this should be rather obvious.  How is port forwarding to a device  going to work IF the device gets a new IP address each time it reboots because you are using DHCP? Honestly that is a pretty big screw up for someone that has been in the business for 15 years!

OP. It is PERFECTLY safe to put a console in the DMZ. That being said you need to do a few things to make sure the rest of your network is safe.

I am not going to write a tutorial for you, you can look up how to do these tasks.

1: In your router make sure your DHCP settings only allow a small IP address block. What I mean by this is say your router IP address is 192.168.1.1 (usually this is the default) the DHCP range may be 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.255. We want to change that to 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.120. This means only 20 devices can be connected to your network at the same time, you can go higher than 20, this is just an example.

2: Once the DHCP range is set you want to set your PS4 with a static IP address OUTSIDE of that range. Say 192.168.1.80 and you can do this either in the manual setup of the PS4 OR if your router allows reservations.

3: Set the DMZ to be 192.168.1.80. So now ONLY the PS4 can get in to the DMZ and there should be NO risk of a PC getting that address, unless you manually do it and you do NOT want to do that.

IF your router is newer and it has newer firmware you can use UPnP as well. With some older routers and firmware this didn't work so well.

PSXBGamer- wrote:
"2000-2016 still in the year 2000 i didnt know we was in the year 3000"

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Does-it-bother-you-that-Sony-brags-about-how-well-they-re-doing/td-p/45935146/page/12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 47 of 58 (2,069 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
442 posts

Aug 5, 2014

When I first got the PS4 I encountered this problem and realized the DNS was set to my router's gateway (which normally works) but changing it to my ISP's DNS or using Google's DNS dramatically increased bandwidth.

Message 48 of 58 (2,061 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 11, 2014
Same for me, did you fix the issue?
Message 49 of 58 (1,550 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4927 posts

Dec 11, 2014

Doc_007 wrote:
Real world speeds and PSN speeds have never been related without proxy shenanigans. That being said, my PS4 is faster than my PS3 ever was.

Well my ps3 is faster than the ps4 on the same home connection. I think sony isn't giving good speeds due to the amount of ps4 owners. I think they under estimated how many consoles would be sold and their network is too small for the 14 million ps4 owners. Another reason why I have a problem paying for ps4 online when its no better than the free ps3.

Message 50 of 58 (1,548 Views)
0 Likes