Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Re: PS4 backwards compatibility or rendering equivalent..

Apr 17, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:
Keep your PS3. Problem solved!

But...but... surely our PS3s will all die once the PS4 comes out!

Well I have 2 PS3's, a HD PVR, and my media laptop all connected to my tv, my tv has 3 hdmi slots, only 1 of which is 3D capable and uses HDMI 1.3a.  (I need the second ps3 because the new store will not allow my main ps3 store acees)

My tv being 3D ready needs a converter box to convert the hdmi 1.4 signals to checkerboard.

All this so far takes 5 HDMI cables and quite a bit of space.  Can I fit it all and probably a ps4 in there but the cords, and excess controllers is freaking me out a bit.

I was party hoping the ps4 would solve my PS Store access issue, and reduce the insane clutter and constant cord switching all the time.

But I am a dreamer.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 11 of 25 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55022 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

bronxsushi wrote:

I don't think that any of that "Backwards Compatibility with the Cloud" stuff is really going to happen. For those of us with long memories, we remember Sony promised that we would be able to transfer PSP UMD disc games to the new PSP-Go.

Sony’s director of hardware marketing, John Koller, told Gizmodo:

“We're in the midst of putting together a good-will program. We'll be unveiling that soon [because] we actually think there's a significant group that will be upgrading from the 1000...In the past, we've seen a 20-25% trade-up factor, and I assume that's going to be the case here. We've modeled that. So we're looking at a good-will program—a short term good-will program that would continue for years afterward."

Koller went on to say that the service would be similar to the current Portable Copy service, which lets PS3 users rip and then transfer Blu-ray movies to their PSPs, just minus the disc ripping. It’s believed that the service will use some form of PSN digital distribution model (along with, I’m assuming, some kind of authentication process). It’s still unknown if the service will be free like Portable Copy, or even what titles it will support. But given that Sony seems to have been taking this option very seriously, I'm sure we'll know plenty more as we get closer to the PSP go's October 1 release date.

Anyone out there not planning on buying a PSP go unless it offers UMD transferring support?

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696281/sony-working-on-umd-transfer-service-for-psp-go/

But guess what? That never happened.

Later Sony said: "We were evaluating a UMD conversion program, but due to legal and technical reasons we will not be offering the program at this time," a Sony representative told GameSpot.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/no-umd-conversion-for-psp-go-6230410 

So do not be surprised if the PS4 backwards compatible with the cloud thing, NEVER HAPPENS.

tumblr_mjjg6k1w5C1r1ult6o1_400.gif

Yes sir, someone with a memory!!

The first time was shame on them, if they get us this time its shame on us.

+1

This is why I've been actively vocal NOW instead of after they release it Smiley Wink

Not just vocal but providing reasoning for my mindest and options to sony that would be acceptable for all involved (such as charging me more for a BC unit)

EDIT:  BTW I've never once said "I wont buy a PS4 if its not BC" so anyone responding keep that out of it Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 25 (88 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13577 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Even though they already gave their reasoning behind it?

http://www.thegamersdrop.com/2013/04/10/ps4-cerny-and-ito-talk-about-backward-compatibility-and-x86-...

“Backwards compatibility, particularly in Japan, is something that is strongly brought frequently, so we thought long and hard about this. Realistically, to support backwards compatibility with PS3, the CELL Broadband Engine would have needed to been part of the new console. Currently, it’s not possible to simulate this via software. If CELL were the only requirement, that wouldn’t have been much of an issue.”

“We would also need to support the supporting hardware indefinitely. We can freely manufacture CELL if the decision is made that it is needed. However, that’s not the case with supporting hardware. There are parts which will become difficult to obtain since 7 years is already considered to be long in the IT industry…”

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 13 of 25 (84 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:
(I need the second ps3 because the new store will not allow my main ps3 store acees)

I think I know why.

All PS3s running on legit firmware can access the store, only hacked ones lose store access.

Message 14 of 25 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:
(I need the second ps3 because the new store will not allow my main ps3 store acees)

I think I know why.

All PS3s running on legit firmware can access the store, only hacked ones lose store access.

So I wasnt supposed to even hack my own console anymore!?!?!?!?!

Whose console should I hack then?  Not like I have an option to not hack do I?  I thought not.

Besides the people on the interwebs wont think I'm good at games If i dont hack every game I play and make myself win!

Its only then they will see my sad, sad real life shining through the void of my interwebs gaming fame.

So yeah, what was your PSn password again?

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 15 of 25 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 17, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

http://www.thegamersdrop.com/2013/04/10/ps4-cerny-and-ito-talk-about-backward-compatibility-and-x86-...

“Backwards compatibility, particularly in Japan, is something that is strongly brought frequently, so we thought long and hard about this. Realistically, to support backwards compatibility with PS3, the CELL Broadband Engine would have needed to been part of the new console. Currently, it’s not possible to simulate this via software. If CELL were the only requirement, that wouldn’t have been much of an issue.”

“We would also need to support the supporting hardware indefinitely. We can freely manufacture CELL if the decision is made that it is needed. However, that’s not the case with supporting hardware. There are parts which will become difficult to obtain since 7 years is already considered to be long in the IT industry…”

What would this supporting hardware be?

Message 16 of 25 (72 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13577 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Open your PS3 and find out Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 25 (70 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13577 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

I think I know why.

So I wasnt supposed to even hack my own console anymore!?!?!?!?!

Whose console should I hack then?  Not like I have an option to not hack do I?  I thought not.

Besides the people on the interwebs wont think I'm good at games If i dont hack every game I play and make myself win!

Its only then they will see my sad, sad real life shining through the void of my interwebs gaming fame.

So yeah, what was your PSn password again?

No. You're not.

Just because a feature you want isn't there  doesn't mean you have to hack your console. And if said hacking causes you to need an extra PS3, then it's not Sony's fault that your setup is "cluttered".

Which means you have no valid point to complain.

Message 18 of 25 (69 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 17, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Open your PS3 and find out Smiley Very Happy

But that would void my warranty! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Tongue

Message 19 of 25 (66 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13577 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Fine, go watch a video of someone who has the YLOD and just get it from there XD

I have no idea what this "supporting hardware" is, but from the way they talk about it, it's outdated, discontinued tech.

Message 20 of 25 (64 Views)
0 Likes