Jun 30 2013
By: shotgunn_surgeon Splicer 78 posts

PS4 and overheating

17 replies 3448 views Edited Jun 30, 2013

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/28/sony-confirms-playstation-4-does-not-have-a-power-brick

According to souce,PS4 won't have a power brick and its power supply will be housed internally. Does this not make the system prone to overheating?

Message 1 of 18 (3,448 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1209 posts

Re: PS4 and overheating

Jun 30, 2013

No. And No to all future posts on this topic.

Message 2 of 18 (3,444 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Jun 30, 2013

How would we know? Tell me that.

Do other PlayStation systems overheat frequently?

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 3 of 18 (3,436 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Jun 30, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

No, they do not.  My phat PS3 is over 5 years old running strong and the PS3 in general has never had an overheating problem per say.  Why am I talking about the PS3?  Most recent Sony console and it also has an internal power source.

The only company with overheating problems at launch every generation is MS, and they even have power bricks.  Smiley Wink

Shikenator Trophy Card
Message 4 of 18 (3,421 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Shikenator wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

No, they do not.  My phat PS3 is over 5 years old running strong and the PS3 in general has never had an overheating problem per say.  Why am I talking about the PS3?  Most recent Sony console and it also has an internal power source.

The only company with overheating problems at launch every generation is MS, and they even have power bricks.  Smiley Wink

I'm sorry I must correct you. YLOD is a bit more of a common issue than many believe or even realize and it is a system failure most often connected to overheating. And my phat has gotten it twice. I had to get it repaired through EE both times. And according to EE, the internal power supply does play a role. It's gotten better with the slims, sure. But I still hear of overheating issues arising from them from time to time.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 5 of 18 (3,414 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

I have a Playstation 3 from 2008 and I have never had any overheating issues with it, ever. I think that has to do with the fact that I keep it out in the open, and not in something like some people do. The console is almost 4.5 years old.

Message 6 of 18 (3,398 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

Shadelon wrote:

Shikenator wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

I'm sorry I must correct you. YLOD is a bit more of a common issue than many believe or even realize and it is a system failure most often connected to overheating. And my phat has gotten it twice. I had to get it repaired through EE both times. And according to EE, the internal power supply does play a role. It's gotten better with the slims, sure. But I still hear of overheating issues arising from them from time to time.

It isn't due to overheating per say if you know anything about how these consoles work, and have nothing to do with the internal power source.  The problem was that after about 3 years (much longer than MS launch versions held out) the heat sink used to keep the GPU/CPU cool would go bad and stop doing its job.  The consoles would not noticeably overheat, but the constant heating and cooling of the CPU/GPU at a higher temp than it was designed for would eventually cause wear and tear and cause the solder to crack, rending it a paper weight.

This is due to the ceramic based heatsink that was used in both MS and Sony platforms because it was cheaper.  I, and many others, simply replaced the heat sink before this happened (after the warranty was already expired anyway) with Arctic Silver 5, which needless to say is a much better product than the ceramic based.  THAT is why mine is still working great, and none of the problems came to light due to an internal power source like the OP was asking about.

Shikenator Trophy Card
Message 7 of 18 (3,395 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8179 posts

Jul 1, 2013
Any cooling system can give up if it is choked with dust or kept it in less-than-acceptable conditions.
Message 8 of 18 (3,380 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13094 posts

Jul 1, 2013
My ps3 slim doesn't have a power brick and doesn't overheat
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 9 of 18 (3,346 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Yup... the engineers totally built a console with an internal power system that is going to overheat. I mean... that's what they want to do right? Create a broken console?

Message 10 of 18 (3,338 Views)
0 Likes