Aug 17 2013
By: heGOTmeAGAIN I Only Post Everything 1050 posts

PS4 and Viacom Partnership Interesting Ideas

[ Edited ]
17 replies 249 views Edited Aug 17, 2013

Internet TV subscriptions the new age of entertainment.

Sony is really trying to make the PS4 irresistible. What I understand so far.

Sony has just signed an agreement with Viacom to be able to stream their channels to the PS4 for a fee.

If your like me you probably have a satellite or cable provider.

You have 100 channels available (round number) but you only watch 5 - 10 regularly, right? All the other channels are bloat.

What Sony is allegedly doing is allowing you to choose the stations or company you want.

It will be like netflix or hulu. Nothing official has been announced from Sony or Viacom. But this was just released all over the web.

Here is the link

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/16/sony-signs-internet-tv-deal-with-viacom

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 1 of 18 (249 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28541 posts

Re: PS4 and Viacom Partnership Interesting Ideas

Aug 17, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

Internet TV subscriptions the new age of entertainment.

Sony is really trying to make the PS4 irresistible. What I understand so far.

Sony has just signed an agreement with Viacom to be able to stream there channels to the PS4 for a fee.

If your like me you probably have a satellite or cable provider.

You have 100 channels available (round number) but you only watch 5 - 10 regularly, right? All the other channels are bloat.

What Sony is allegedly doing is allowing you to choose the stations or company you want.

It will be like netflix or hulu. Nothing official has been announced from Sony or Viacom. But this was just released all over the web.

Here is the link

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/16/sony-signs-internet-tv-deal-with-viacom

"Bloat" is a cute little catch phrase that the gamer cognoscenit is throwing around these days, but not clearly defining. How exactly do you define which channles are bloat? We all know that "gamers" aren't big sports fans, so they might consider ESPN as bloat, yet they carry the most watced programs in the nation, NBA basketball and Monday Night Football. Gamers don't particualrly like to laugh (at least from what I've been able to tell), so they may think that Comedy Central isn't worth their while. Yet over two million people tune in to The Daily Show and Colbert Report per night. So who is to define what is "bloat" and not?

Second, you're reading what you want to read in this peice.

Unfortunately, those who are hoping Sony's alternative will do away with the inflexible, bundled nature of existing TV services -- which don't offer customers the ability to pick and choose the channels they want -- won't be getting what they wish for. A New York Times source indicated Sony's service will operate similarly to existing bundle services, rather than offering a la carte options that could save customers money by allowing them to opt in or out of notoriously expensive channels like ESPN that have no appeal to certain groups of people.

That does not sound anything at all like what you're describing.

Message 2 of 18 (240 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Aug 17, 2013

You had my hopes up for about 18 seconds... that's more than most manage.  Ala' Carte' or nothing.  I haven't had cable for over six years, and I see no reason to change that. The one thing that would Please me is the ability to piecemeal channels.  A flat fee of, say $5.00 that came with 2-3 channels, and an additional $1+ per month per channel could make a ton of money.

Then again, there's no way that I can think of to sell that to Viacom, so forget it.  Smiley Very Happy

Grindhead_Jim

Message 3 of 18 (230 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2013

Bloat for me would be QVC, Galavision, Own, Etc.... MO

Sony has just signed an agreement with Viacom to be able to stream their channels to the PS4 for a fee.

Sony's service will operate similarly to existing bundle services, rather than offering a la carte options

CaptainAlbator

The point I was trying to make is "Most" networks are owned by a "Mother comp"

Ex: Viacom, Turner Etc....

If You only watch Spike and  Comedy Central then a Viacom Stream Subscription might be worth it.

Rather than getting the whole "Bundle" from Comcast or DTV.

This is about more options and options are a good thing right?

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 4 of 18 (224 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10759 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2013

Daily Show and Colbert Report:  The most trustworthy reporters of real news on TV today.

Seriously.  Yeah, they put a comedic slant on it, but you gotta admit, they get the job done better than MSNBC, Fox, CNN, etc have done in the past few years.

As a side note:  I get a huge chuckle out of Faux News referencing "main stream media" from the third person perspective, as if they weren't PART of the MSM.

Message 5 of 18 (216 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Aug 17, 2013

Here is another link of the possibilities..

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/164108-playstation-tv-sony-to-bring-internet-tv-service-to-the-ps4

Message 6 of 18 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 17, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

Bloat for me would be QVC, Galavision, Own, Etc.... MO

Sony's service will operate similarly to existing bundle services, rather than offering a la carte options

CaptainAlbator

The point I was trying to make is "Most" networks are owned by a "Mother comp"

Ex: Viacom, Turner Etc....

If You only watch Spike and  Comedy Central then a Viacom Stream Subscription might be worth it.

Rather than getting the whole "Bundle" from Comcast or DTV.

This is about more options and options are a good thing right?

Again you're reading what you WANT to read. The article also states they're in talks with other companies. No TV provider simply, realistically can NOT have any such kind of service. Due to having to deal with all of these mother companies as you put it, it's simply not possible. Unless Sony bought all of them out. But don't hold your breath for that. Such a deal would be extraordinarily expensive and would screw over the competition.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 7 of 18 (207 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28541 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2013

People have been hoping for "a la Carte" options for cable for the last twenty or so years, and I don't see it happening, ever. First of all, it will probably cost you MORE money in the long run, and not less. How? You start paying for individual channels, before you know it your cable bill is over a hundred bucks.

Second, you can tell yourself that "I only watch these channels" all you want, it's just not true. People didn't watch AMC until The Walking Dead or Mad Men, now they can't live without it. How many people used to watch PBS before Downton Abbey? Or BBC America before Top Gear, or Orphan Black, or Doctor Who? Or Spike before the UFC? Or CW before Arrow? With the breakdown of the traditional network television system and the advent of more choices on cable networks, you have channels that are willing to take chances on things that the three major networks wouldn't touch in a million years.

Lastly, the bread and butter now of cable and satellite providers, much to the chagrin of many "gamers", is live sports. The networks pay BILLIONS for the broadcast rights for the NFL, NBA, NHL, Major League Baseball, the Olympics, and NASCAR. Now you can say "well I don't like football so I don't care", but you still have to acknowlege that Monday Night Football is popular television program in the NATION.  The NFL doesn't want games to go streaming, mainly because networks sell advertising and expose viewers to their regular lineup during games, also Congress will not let the league go to pay per view. Advertising dollars underwrites the whole thing. Add in your regional sports like Madison Square Garden, SNY, NESN, and YES Network (Viacom/CBS has about a 49% stake in YES from what I know), you'd have a veritable mess on your hands.

One of the other things that people do indeed want their local channels. I know it's a very passe' concept for the gamer cognoscenti, however I want to be able to find my news in one place, and at six o'clock every night I can find what is going on in my area, and then stay tuned for Jeopardy at 7pm, and How I Met Your Mother at 8p.m. Yes, a la carte may seem like a good idea in theory, but I think it's something that we're not going to see soon until many business models change.

Message 8 of 18 (205 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Aug 17, 2013

Everyone has made a valid point.

So why is Sony approaching  and pursuing this then, that's the real question.

Message 9 of 18 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 17, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

Everyone has made a valid point.

So why is Sony approaching  and pursuing this then, that's the real question.

Because Google and Apple are also pursuing IP TV services, and Sony sees a real profit could be made from it and doesn't want to be left behind? IP TV services could theoretically be cheaper than cable or satellite, since you're not dealing with expensive wiring or equipment.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 10 of 18 (185 Views)