I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Re: PS4 and Fiasco Partnership Interesting Ideas

Aug 17, 2013

Everyone has and is talking about how the XB1 wants to change TV Entertainment in your living room.

Really the only thing they are doing is changing the way you watch TV channels.

Sony it appears wants to change how you purchase TV channels. I wonder where this is going now?

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 11 of 18 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3642 posts

Aug 17, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

Everyone has and is talking about how the XB1 wants to change TV Entertainment in your living room.

Really the only thing they are doing is changing the way you watch TV channels.

Sony it appears wants to change how you purchase TV channels. I wonder where this is going now?

You make a very valid point. The Xbone simply takes your existing cable subscription and kinectifies it. The other thing that is being over looked is that Sony studios produce a lot of the content you see on these cable channels. I don't think most people have a firm grasp of just how big Sony really is. Even though the valuation of the company is about a third the size of MS, the company is heavily vested in the entertainment industry. When Sony tallks, companies listen. And for a company like Viacom that controls about 160 networks in God knows how many countries with probably close to a billion people paying for their services each month to cut a deal with Sony, that is indeed a BIG deal. I know the cable and dish companies have taken notice of this.

Message 12 of 18 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Re: PS4 and Viacom Partnership Interesting Ideas

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2013

I can't see this being anything for someone like me (Dad with 4 kids) if I can only use it through Sony products. We have 2 HDTV's in our 2 living rooms and 1 in my boys room, my 2 girls each have a TV, and one in our bedroom for a grand total of 6 TV's.

I only plan on having one PS4 in the house. So what would that mean for everyone else? Right now our cable provider gives access to all sets.

Hmm... this seems more geared towards people with one TV in the house, or a bunch of Sony products. So, more towards single people not families.

Message 13 of 18 (174 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Aug 17, 2013

Amnalehu 

I agree with you.

Some quotes;

Sony will have access to all of Viacom’s hit television properties. This includes MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, and VH1.

Now, a cable service that only consists of Sony properties and Viacom channels wouldn't be the most appealing. However, now that the Viacom news has slipped out, Sony has approached Time Warner and Disney about programming deals as well. A “hey guys, Viacom’s cool with it” pitch is much better than a “no one wants to be on our service, please join” pitch. Along with the PS4, Sony has plans to bring the service to the PS3 as well as its own televisions. Back on June 26, Sony trademarked the term “PlayStation TV,” so it does appear as though Sony will be pushing the service on its gaming products, if not directly tailoring the service to the consoles.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 14 of 18 (172 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2013

UnrealButcher

I don't have answers to your questions as I don't work for Sony.

I however can assure you Sony if they want this to work they will find a way as they do specialize in electronics.

That said

I completely understand I am in the same boat, I will be getting 1 PS4 for my household with 4 Tv's total.

Let's keep in mind this is all in the infant stages. We don't know all the details.

Message 15 of 18 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

UnrealButcher

I don't have answers to your questions as I don't work for Sony.

I however can assure you Sony if they wants this to work they will find a way as they do specialize in electronics.

That said

I completely understand I am in the same boat, I will be getting 1 PS4 for my household with 4 Tv's total.

Let's keep in mind this is all in the infant stages. We don't know all the details.

I was mostly trying to point out, that it wouldn't be a very family friendly service as you would have to buy Sony products of some sort (in this case PS) for each TV in your house to make the service work in the first place. Of course this would differ from household to household. Example: My brother in law is single and doesn't have kids, so this would work great for him. Not so much for households with 3+ TV's. 

I wasn't looking for any answers. Thanks though. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 18 (162 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28838 posts

Aug 17, 2013

Shadelon wrote:

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

Everyone has made a valid point.

So why is Sony approaching  and pursuing this then, that's the real question.

Because Google and Apple are also pursuing IP TV services, and Sony sees a real profit could be made from it and doesn't want to be left behind? IP TV services could theoretically be cheaper than cable or satellite, since you're not dealing with expensive wiring or equipment.

You're still going to need a cable connection or DSL to access these services. So you're not really "cutting the cord" just yet.

Message 17 of 18 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
2 posts

Nov 18, 2013

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com

The website does not allow me to post to get sonys attention on this idea?

I called sony up and they said they know nothing about this.

I would like the idea out there. I tried posting it on the site, but it shows I have 0 posts.

Today is my 2nd day trying to do this?

What can I do to make this work?

Thanks

Message 18 of 18 (84 Views)
0 Likes