Apr 08 2014
By: HackedLife First Son 7 posts

PS4/Vita remote play performance? Tips?

14 replies 2180 views Edited Apr 8, 2014

I'm thinking about gitting a Vita, primarily for PS4 remotely play within my house on wifi, and I'd like to get some feedback as to how well this actually performs for people that have been using it.  How playable are the games?   It is my understanding you can either connect to your PS4 over your wifi network (i.e. via your wireless router) or via a direct wireless connection to your PS4.  Any opinion on what works better?  How far away can you get away from your PS4/router and the game is still playable?

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 15 (2,180 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Re: PS4/Vita remote play performance? Tips?

Apr 8, 2014

In terms of connection speed it works fine if you are connected to the same wireless network but I wouldn't buy a Vita for this feature with the main reason that the game play is cumbersome because of the lack of 4 trigger buttons and clickable analog sticks.  The Vita substitutes using the rear touchpad for some of this, but it just doesn't work very well.  Some games lend themselves great to remote play like Knack and Outlast would have worked well too (though I didn't try it).

Now trying to remote play over the internet is a completely different story.  I haven't had much sucess with that at all.  I've been able to make the conneciton to the PS4 with little problems from public wifi locations but once I start trying to actually play a game..forget it...it lags horribly.  Even from a very good wifi connection at my office I still got some lag.  It was playable, but barely.

Message 2 of 15 (2,172 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
354 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I have tried it both ways from within my house.  I had the best results using direct connect. Although you have to be somewhat close the ps4.

As far as game, some work better than other due to the button layout.  Knack works great. So does FIFA if you remap the most used button to a match what button you have on your vita.  I also played a lot of Assassins Creed on my Vita, it too was not bad once you get use to using the rear touch pad.

Message 3 of 15 (2,162 Views)
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Apr 8, 2014

My Vita and PS4 have to be in the same room to avoid any lag.

Can anyone share their experience playing via 3G?

Reduce prices for digital edition of games permanently if it is older than 2 years.
Message 4 of 15 (2,152 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1462 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I can't imagine 3G working at all with Remote Play.  If I can't get fairly responsive gameplay over a decent wifi connection I don't see how playing it over 3G would possibly work.

Message 5 of 15 (2,144 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I think platformers and sport games are the best games to play via remote play.  Trying to play BF4 or Killzone, one word, FRUSTRATING.  Really any game that requires heavy use of L2/R2 and L3/R3 forget trying to play it on the Vita.  My main example would be "sprinting" in BF4 requires you to click down the L3 button, on Vita this function is mapped to the bottom of the rear touch pad.  First, the touchpad isn't very responsive.  Second, if you run/sprint for a somewhat lengthy period you'll get on h3ll of a hand cramp!!!  I am really looking forward to playing MLB14TS via remote play when it finally comes to PS4 May 6th.  I am willing to bet that it will be a game that transitions very well when playing remotely on the Vita.  Unless Sony comes out with a very creative add on or attachment accessory (something with stylus triggers to make the rear touchpad more accessible) the experience on Vita will always be a bit lacking.  Actually probably the best idea I have for this is to somehow make the DS4 directly compatible with the Vita for remote play.  I know it works now, but only if you are signed in as a guest on your PS4.  A Bluetooth docking station perhaps???  I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Message 6 of 15 (2,137 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Apr 8, 2014

I have used both direct connection to my PS4, same Wifi in my house, and even used it 20 minutes away, at my brother's house, using his Wifi. I have had no issues with the first two, but at my brother's house I have experienced a couple of hick-ups here and there, but were completely eliminated when I sat closer to his router. I have yet to try this at a public hotspot, so it may have more hick-ups in that scenerio.

Madden 25, ACIV, and Mercenary Kings are the only titles I have played via Remote Play, so far, and all three ran smooth / looked beautiful on the OLED screen. One of my brother's friends told me I single-handedly sold him on the PSV, just from a couple of times I was able to join him, my brother, and another one of their friends on "Mercenary Kings," by remote play, while visiting my brother. He said he wants to experience this black magic for himself.

It's a great companion for the PS4, that's for sure. You will get enjoyment out of the remote play alone, even if none of the PSV titles interest you. Buy one and test run it for yourself. If you are unsatisfied with the remote play (have connection issues in your area) , simply return it to the retailer, risk free, within their return policy date.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 7 of 15 (2,130 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Apr 8, 2014

@HorrorGod 

Lets say I leave the PS4 in standby mode (Wifi enabled). Am I able to:

1. Use Vita to activate the PS4 from a distance location? Or the PS4 have to remain active?

Reduce prices for digital edition of games permanently if it is older than 2 years.
Message 8 of 15 (2,113 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13603 posts

Apr 8, 2014

Bowl10 wrote:

@HorrorGod 

Lets say I leave the PS4 in standby mode (Wifi enabled). Am I able to:

1. Use Vita to activate the PS4 from a distance location? Or the PS4 have to remain active?

Yes, if you enable the setting that allows you to turn on your PS4 via your Vita on Remote Play.
 You just need to leave it in standby.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 15 (2,111 Views)
Fender Bender
3007 posts

Apr 8, 2014
I know there is probably a good reason that the thumbsticks can't be clickable, and that there isn't a r2/l2. If there was though, the Vita would be pretty well perfect IMO. Especially with being able to use the screen as the touchpad.
Message 10 of 15 (2,107 Views)
0 Likes