Big Daddy
16827 posts

Re: PS4 Used Game Fees?

May 23, 2013

Yea, lets start assuming that because the "language" someone uses is vague, it means there is some ulterior motive.

Lets wait until E3, and wait until launch to see what happens.... 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 11 of 45 (219 Views)
Monster Hunter
39 posts

May 23, 2013

If you mean is Sony going to to do what MS is with having to pay full price for the game to unlock a used copy of it... I really hope not. The PS4 is are last place of hope for a console. If they do happen to do it well console gaming will go extinct like some have predicted. I can only hope by E3 we have all the answers on what is going on.

Message 12 of 45 (209 Views)
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 23, 2013

ArkonBlade wrote:

If you mean is Sony going to to do what MS is with having to pay full price for the game to unlock a used copy of it... I really hope not. The PS4 is are last place of hope for a console. If they do happen to do it well console gaming will go extinct like some have predicted. I can only hope by E3 we have all the answers on what is going on.

Look, if the developer studios and the Sony and MS want to promote more full-retail sales, then do it the old-fashioned way: incentivize it! Give us good bonuses for pre-ordering; something more than new weapons and armor skins.

Instead, MS feels they should just punish people for daring to share games with a friend.

I genuinely hope Sony doesn't share this myopic view MS presented us yesterday.

My main question is why?  Why are any of these always-on, DRM, subscription-based schemes even necessary?  Is it just to squeeze ever more money from us?  It's not our fault if your "revenue streams" have flatlined, and it's not Gamestop's fault either.  Somewhere in the last few years MS decided their new business model should become punitive, and I don't think it was a good idea.  Like you, I just hope Sony has a better vision than Microsoft.

Message 13 of 45 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

May 23, 2013

Rad_Vlad wrote:

ArkonBlade wrote:

Look, if the developer studios and the Sony and MS want to promote more full-retail sales, then do it the old-fashioned way: incentivize it! Give us good bonuses for pre-ordering; something more than new weapons and armor skins.

Instead, MS feels they should just punish people for daring to share games with a friend.

My main question is why?  Why are any of these always-on, DRM, subscription-based schemes even necessary?  Is it just to squeeze ever more money from us?  It's not our fault if your "revenue streams" have flatlined, and it's not Gamestop's fault either.  Somewhere in the last few years MS decided their new business model should become punitive, and I don't think it was a good idea.  Like you, I just hope Sony has a better vision than Microsoft.

well one of the big reasons for the online DRM is for piracy. they want to make sure we are not all pirates and robbing them by modding are consoles. The no used game deal is all about 1 thing ... Money... Its much easier for them to control prices with no used game market out there . harder for us to try games and find out a game is crap so might get more people buying a crap game instead of renting one. Its all about game companys maximizing profits at are cost and convenience.

Message 14 of 45 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

May 23, 2013

Historically, games increase about $10 each generation. The new games will most likely start at $69.99. I remember average PSOne games were about $39.99, then PS2 was $49.99, PS3 was $59.99 and PS4...

Message 15 of 45 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

May 23, 2013

ArkonBlade wrote:

Rad_Vlad wrote:

ArkonBlade wrote:

well one of the big reasons for the online DRM is for piracy. they want to make sure we are not all pirates and robbing them by modding are consoles. The no used game deal is all about 1 thing ... Money... Its much easier for them to control prices with no used game market out there . harder for us to try games and find out a game is crap so might get more people buying a crap game instead of renting one. Its all about game companys maximizing profits at are cost and convenience.

Yes, you are right Arkon.  Software piracy is a crime, and I will never take part in it.  And DRM is one approach to curbing piracy. But, somehow MS conflated sharing games with piracy, and they are wrong about it.  Loaning a copy to a friend is NOT the same thing as piracy, not by a long shot.

Sony should listen to you.  You have this figured out better than the best minds at Microsoft.

Message 16 of 45 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

May 23, 2013

Rad_Vlad wrote:

ArkonBlade wrote:

Rad_Vlad wrote:

ArkonBlade wrote:

Yes, you are right Arkon.  Software piracy is a crime, and I will never take part in it.  And DRM is one approach to curbing piracy. But, somehow MS conflated sharing games with piracy, and they are wrong about it.  Loaning a copy to a friend is NOT the same thing as piracy, not by a long shot.

Sony should listen to you.  You have this figured out better than the best minds at Microsoft.

I am with you. Software piracy is a horrible thing but online DRM as a bad way to go about it. It causes more harm then good and its all harm to the consumer. you just need to look at Diable 3 and the EA's Sim City Fiasco to see that. I mean I'd rather have the online pass system that sony is doing now for its games . which still isn't a great system but far better then online DRM.

The irony of all this even with MS's no used games and online DRM some one will at some point crack the X1 and piracy unfortunitly will happen and all the trouble they put there loyal customers through will have been for nothing.

Message 17 of 45 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6829 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Yea, lets start assuming that because the "language" someone uses is vague, it means there is some ulterior motive.

I highly doubt it..

You have  to remember sony  had thing that blocked used games out right but never  used it.. They are debating all aspects..  I think these things have to do with  unfair play and protecting  the investments(devs). More than money(greed).

Theres is no easy answer here.. if it was me i wouldnt do anything to start .. I'd keep  everything like ps3 for about 6 mth-  13mths then   do a update or something to deter the climate for used games and all that. ITs a simple but complex risk gameplan in buisness called the " put the foot in the hand" which one would  you rather lose to  compromise.

Its important to get the sales 1st keep everyone happy for 6-13mths..  there for  i'd lose  a hand to make things  right  with the  customer, i rather  keep both feet and be more mobile and control the  climate  keep it moving not being so hands on(   not so physical controlled btw no puns intended)..   No matter  what sony  does  they are going to lose something the after effect is what important .

They have to "put the  foot in the hand" or you   can say give up the  foot or the hand.. which mean "to  try to  reach a ideal( resonable) way in great  efforts.. I think those  xbox exec's lost there legs  to keep thier hands..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 18 of 45 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

May 23, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I highly doubt it..

You have  to remember sony  had thing that blocked used games out right but never  used it.. They are debating all aspects..  I think these things have to do with  unfair play and protecting  the investments(devs). More than money(greed).

Theres is no easy answer here.. if it was me i wouldnt do anything to start .. I'd keep  everything like ps3 for about 6 mth-  13mths then   do a update or something to deter the climate for used games and all that. ITs a simple but complex risk gameplan in buisness called the " put the foot in the hand" which one would  you rather lose to  compromise.

Its important to get the sales 1st keep everyone happy for 6-13mths..  there for  i'd lose  a hand to make things  right  with the  customer, i rather  keep both feet and be more mobile and control the  climate  keep it moving not being so hands on(   not so physical controlled btw no puns intended)..   No matter  what sony  does  they are going to lose something the after effect is what important .

They have to "put the  foot in the hand" or you   can say give up the  foot or the hand.. which mean "to  try to  reach a ideal( resonable) way in great  efforts.. I think those  xbox exec's lost there legs  to keep thier hands..

Man i really hope you are right. if Sony was thinking about it and was playing it Vague ... which they have been so far. To see what MS was going to do and see what the reaction would be before they made a final decision . Well it should be a NO at this point. Though i am not going to jump to a final answer on this until i get the word from the source and thats Sony.

I mean no one thought the next xbox was gona have online DRM and a no used game policy... and look how that turned out.

Message 19 of 45 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

May 23, 2013
A lot of this are companies like GameStop not throwing some coin back to developers. There needs to be a balance. The wrong mindset is to charge more from gamers. I guess it's just wishful thinking but if Sony made a deal with used game companies, it could be a great partnership.
Message 20 of 45 (170 Views)
0 Likes