I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Re: PS4 Used Game Fees?

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013
@Matsudaira I remember buying FF7 in 1997 for $50. I also remember buying Mortal Kombat 3 on SNES for $50 and Sonic The Hedgehog 3 for $50, Sonic and Knuckles was $60 on Sega Genesis. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 sold for $99 on SNES. Games have generally been around the same price, and HD graphics are more expensive to make, so it only makes sense to increase the price a little bit, not to mention that this generation as a whole has been pretty tough to program for.

The PS4 will be likely to see games stay at the same price, or maybe even drop slightly because of the ease of programming for the x86 architecture.

As for used games, Shuhei Yoshida has already said “So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?” (Src: http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-exec-playstation-4-doesnt-block-used-games )
EDIT: added space at end of link to prevent dead link
My PSN
Message 21 of 45 (208 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

May 23, 2013
They better not charge a fee...but i cant see them not doing it. It has to be an industry standard for xbox to jump into it like its not a big deal. I expect Sony will charge EXACTLY the same prices. But if I don't really own the games they're "selling" me then i only want to pay like $30 for a brand new aaa game. Otherwise Im not throwing spendy monies at them. I feel like these companies are trying to bully us into doing whatever they want...i don't respond well to that.
Message 22 of 45 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

May 23, 2013
Well, with the idiot that just tried to get people to gameshare with them, can you really blame MS and Sony for considering it and/or implementing it?
My PSN
Message 23 of 45 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13061 posts

May 23, 2013

I seriously think sony is going down the same road as microsoft with the used games issues. The way sony is answering the questions I can just see it happening. And if it does happen I most likely wont be getting a console this generation. I can't borrow a game from a friend without paying for it? Thats just plain stupid

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 24 of 45 (153 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28676 posts

May 23, 2013

Matsudaira wrote:

Historically, games increase about $10 each generation. The new games will most likely start at $69.99. I remember average PSOne games were about $39.99, then PS2 was $49.99, PS3 was $59.99 and PS4...

i know that traditionally gamerdom likes to use the "if B follows A then A+B=C" formula, however that often is what's referred to as faulty cause and effect. Consider this;

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100480852

On pricing, Tretton said that the PS4 is "designed with the game developer in mind and the consumer in mind," and will offer games with prices ranging from $0.99 to the more traditional $60 range with the ability for players to sample games before they buy.

Message 25 of 45 (147 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12922 posts

May 23, 2013

lauranichole25 wrote:
They better not charge a fee...but i cant see them not doing it. It has to be an industry standard for xbox to jump into it like its not a big deal. I expect Sony will charge EXACTLY the same prices. But if I don't really own the games they're "selling" me then i only want to pay like $30 for a brand new aaa game. Otherwise Im not throwing spendy monies at them. I feel like these companies are trying to bully us into doing whatever they want...i don't respond well to that.

That's what I'm hoping as well. It would be paying twice for something. And if it's around the price of a new game, why bother renting any of them at all? If that's what MS is trying to go for, then they're rowing up a creek with the wrong paddle. Definitely. They want to keep up the status quo, and keep people buying their products. What some companies are doing though will end up alienating their core audience. They'll get tired of getting the raw deal and end up moving to another company in order to try and get a better deal. Don't say I'd blame them for doing so either.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 26 of 45 (143 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 24, 2013

hjason1 wrote:

I can honestly say ms will be sued by rental companies for putting them out of business.. i'm sure sony will follow ms with thier stupidity.

All they will do is hurt the industry that is on shaky ground as it is now....

I bet rental companies make up half if not more in game sales, because they buy thousands for each state...

Just curious, but what legal ground or precedent would they have to go on to file the lawsuit?  

Message 27 of 45 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2013

I just think that fees for used games is alarming as it an outright challenge to consumer rights. It will alienate a lot of gamers and will probably just go away and do something else.

I hope Sony will not do what microsoft is planning and i hope microsoft backs away from this. Are there any lawyers here who can provide us some laws on reselling of a commodity/service?

Message 28 of 45 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2013

Everybody likes to keep blaming Microsoft and/or saying "I hope Sony does not do this."

Like Microsoft, Sony could have this feature, but It will be entirely up to the developers/publishers to implement it.

Same with online passes. Not all games had/have them. Only the devs/pubs that supported it.

I would assume the same would apply for this "used game fee."

So, if Sony allows this too, protest your anger by not purchasing games from that developer/publisher.

Not by refusing to buy an XBox One/PS4.

And for people saying they won't buy a PS4 if they do this:

Yeah you will. Maybe not at launch, but you'll eventually give in -- if they have games you really want to play.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 29 of 45 (112 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 24, 2013
The thing is, what the X1 is doing doesn't prevent you from selling the game to somebody else. Yes, it will make it incredibly difficult for you to find buyers of the used game you are trying to sell (which, by the way, will still be fully playable on that X1 it was first fully installed on, so technically you'd be selling a "copy"), but it's not fully stopping you from doing it.
Message 30 of 45 (110 Views)
0 Likes