MVP Support
13733 posts

Re: PS4 Update 1.60 out TONIGHT

Feb 3, 2014

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:
And actually a gaming device only or at least primarily certainly can survive. Media devices are over saturating the market. I own 6 devices that can play Netflix, Hulu, etc. One thing they can't do though is high quality gaming if they can play games at all. Looking at the sales numbers and demand of the PS4, its doing more than just surviving. Its dominating.

Who wants to switch back and forth to different devices to perform different functions?

My PS3 is more in use than my PS4 because I can do Netflix, game (GTA V), and stream my movies and music when we have parties.

We had a party Saturday night and my buddy was like "Dude, why aren't you streaming the music to the PS4 instead of the PS3?" and I was like "Uhhhhh it doesn't do that.". He said "Then why dont you put it on a flash drive and play them?". I said, "Uhh it doesn't do that either, I'll plug in the PS4 later when everyone leaves and we'll play Ghosts."

Don't get me wrong, I love playing Ghosts and Knack on the PS4, its definitely a big improvement and the console itself is very powerful, but why take the step so far backwards? People that say "ughhh why did you even buy it if you knew it wasn't going to have this this and this uguhhh?". We bought it because there are a few good games worth playing and the general usablity is much better, but a complete package this is not, and clearly won't be for a very long time if it really takes 2 months to patch in support for a few headsets.

Last I checked, most people.

There are very few things that are "universal" in usage, besides maybe a smartphone/tablet. People use different devices for different things all the time. Not everything is "all-in-one".

And why do we ask why you bought the system? Because all the complainers are complaining to the extent that it appears as if the system isn't worth it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 81 of 347 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Feb 3, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:
And actually a gaming device only or at least primarily certainly can survive. Media devices are over saturating the market. I own 6 devices that can play Netflix, Hulu, etc. One thing they can't do though is high quality gaming if they can play games at all. Looking at the sales numbers and demand of the PS4, its doing more than just surviving. Its dominating.

Who wants to switch back and forth to different devices to perform different functions?

My PS3 is more in use than my PS4 because I can do Netflix, game (GTA V), and stream my movies and music when we have parties.

We had a party Saturday night and my buddy was like "Dude, why aren't you streaming the music to the PS4 instead of the PS3?" and I was like "Uhhhhh it doesn't do that.". He said "Then why dont you put it on a flash drive and play them?". I said, "Uhh it doesn't do that either, I'll plug in the PS4 later when everyone leaves and we'll play Ghosts."

Don't get me wrong, I love playing Ghosts and Knack on the PS4, its definitely a big improvement and the console itself is very powerful, but why take the step so far backwards? People that say "ughhh why did you even buy it if you knew it wasn't going to have this this and this uguhhh?". We bought it because there are a few good games worth playing and the general usablity is much better, but a complete package this is not, and clearly won't be for a very long time if it really takes 2 months to patch in support for a few headsets.

There are very few things that are "universal" in usage, besides maybe a smartphone/tablet. People use different devices for different things all the time. Not everything is "all-in-one".

And why do we ask why you bought the system? Because all the complainers are complaining to the extent that it appears as if the system isn't worth it.

Fair enough.

Message 82 of 347 (301 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13733 posts

Feb 3, 2014

Black0Panther wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

XxsajinxX wrote:

if it was just for one headset and some bug issue then why would they put out a 1.60 update and not just 1.54. bug fixes would just be 1.54 and not 1.60. 1.60 should be huge

Not really.

Headset support is something a lot of people were waiting for.

They also only update by .01 increments, or to the nearest .10 or 1.00.

Yes but when you jump from something like 1.54 to the 1.6 It always has been a big upgrade. The 1.54 to 1.55 updates the .01 changes have been always tiny fixes to things but when it goes to the next number ie the 1.60 in this case. Generaly from PS3 updates have been decent too huge updates.

But look at it this way:

It only jumps that much because there weren't a lot of bug fixes in between.

Let's say they had released several bug fixes. So there were more .01 updates.

So if the system software was 1.58 (due to PURELY bug fix updates), and then went to 1.60, it would seem like "less" of a jump (even though technically, it's the same jump)

So it only looks large because there was only like two bug fix updates in between.

Message 83 of 347 (300 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13733 posts

Feb 3, 2014

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:

Fair enough.

From that response, you seem to be reasonable and open minded, so hats off to you.

Unlike some people (mastorofpuppetz......)

Message 84 of 347 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10139 posts

Feb 3, 2014
Not to mention most households have multiple televisions which makes other media options far cheaper then buying a bunch of PS4's. Media consoles were a good idea a few years ago but will soon become about as relevant as Web TV. Smart devices are the future of media. Not gaming consoles. And besides. You don't want to run your console that many hours as well. In a few years when the threads start to come in asking who's launch console is still working, the majority who say yes weren't running them 24/7 to view media
Message 85 of 347 (298 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13733 posts

Feb 3, 2014

Murderstyle75 wrote:
Not to mention most households have multiple televisions which makes other media options far cheaper then buying a bunch of PS4's. Media consoles were a good idea a few years ago but will soon become about as relevant as Web TV. Smart devices are the future of media. Not gaming consoles. And besides. You don't want to run your console that many hours as well. In a few years when the threads start to come in asking who's launch console is still working, the majority who say yes weren't running them 24/7 to view media

*cough* Chromecast *cough*

Message 86 of 347 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Feb 3, 2014

I'm not going to argue the case against the PS4 having DLNA, because there's one shining reason that it should - in-game music.  Also, I want to be able to enjoy my media library while I'm using the Party feature.  Not a tall order.

No other device out there that isn't a substantial investment of money can offer me in-game music, regardless of my sonic environment (I don't always want to be wearing a headset), on my PS4.  It should be there, but, it isn't.  It will be there when it is ready.

The difference is, I can accept that.  In the meantime, I use several workarounds to the issue, and enjoy the games on the system.

Not sure why this concept is so difficult to grasp for some people on both sides of this issue.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 87 of 347 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Feb 3, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

XxsajinxX wrote:

if it was just for one headset and some bug issue then why would they put out a 1.60 update and not just 1.54. bug fixes would just be 1.54 and not 1.60. 1.60 should be huge

Not really.

Headset support is something a lot of people were waiting for.

They also only update by .01 increments, or to the nearest .10 or 1.00.

Yes but when you jump from something like 1.54 to the 1.6 It always has been a big upgrade. The 1.54 to 1.55 updates the .01 changes have been always tiny fixes to things but when it goes to the next number ie the 1.60 in this case. Generaly from PS3 updates have been decent too huge updates.

But look at it this way:

It only jumps that much because there weren't a lot of bug fixes in between.

Let's say they had released several bug fixes. So there were more .01 updates.

So if the system software was 1.58 (due to PURELY bug fix updates), and then went to 1.60, it would seem like "less" of a jump (even though technically, it's the same jump)

So it only looks large because there was only like two bug fix updates in between.

Almost every update on the PS3 that changed the 1.5 to 1.6 was a fairly big update changing  a bunch of things. Just just simple bug fixes. Seeing they did go to 1.6 Then this is a decent firmware update. Im by no means saying its going ot have everything everyone wants bot its no tiny litle update for stability either.

Message 88 of 347 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Feb 3, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:

Fair enough.

From that response, you seem to be reasonable and open minded, so hats off to you.

I used to like debating with friends, then I felt too much like a politician...and I HATE POLITICIANS!

Now I'm just a master-debater.

Message 89 of 347 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 3, 2014

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Kickflipper1087 wrote:

Murderstyle75 wrote:

Fair enough.

I used to like debating with friends, then I felt too much like a politician...and I HATE POLITICIANS!

Now I'm just a master-debater.

Um Really? Was this realy necesary???

Message 90 of 347 (274 Views)
0 Likes