Oct 08 2013
By: Idealty First Son 16 posts

PS4 So Close To Launch, So Much Unknown

[ Edited ]
12 replies 10526 views Edited Oct 8, 2013

Here we are, a mere 5 weeks away from the PS4 being in living rooms in America and naturally it's an exciting time for gamers. The expectations for a game console launching in 2013 is exponentially higher than the PS3 in 2006 and the PS2 2000. The PS4 will have capabilities for everything from social gaming, motion control, video streaming, remote play, media entertainment ( movie and music streaming), and state-of-the-art gaming. In other words, there is a lot to communicate and a lot to prepare for launch. Yet, I have never felt that I knew so little of a system barely a month away from launch. Why are there so many questions still unanswered that will be essential for buyers at launch?

Hardware Unanswered Questions:

1. What are the final specs of the PS4 hardware? Specifcally, the CPU, GPU, and memory clock speeds? Note that Sony has never listed these specs officially at all. We only knew from unofficial leaked documents.
  2. What is the deal with the PS4 camera? How will the PS4 camera be used at a system level? Can we navigate the main UI with motion and voice controls? How will the facial recognition work? What games will support the camera at launch?
  3. How will the game streaming really work? Camera funcationality for picture in picture? Ustream/Twitch/PSN/Youtube use cases?
  4. When will the retail demo kiosks be available to try the system out? Again we out roughly a month out from launch?
  5. Why haven't we still seen final PS4 HW running actual PS4 software yet? Or even debug PS4 units?

Software Unanswered Questions:

1. What will be the launch form and function of the new OS/UI? Why have we still not seen this a month out?
  2. What is Knack really about? Plot? Style? Game Progression? Powers? All we've seen is some scattered segments from gameplay (usually the same sections) but what will make or break that game is how the gameplay segments are linked together.
  3. Why haven't we seen a single video of gameplay in Driveclub featuring an actual race with competitive cars? Isn't that the basis of any racing game? What gameplay modes will the game really feature? How many tracks at launch?

These are just some that are nagging me but there are many more. Feel free to add others I may have forgotten. But seriously, why is so many basic things still so secretive? Shouldn't the consumer be well aware of the product they are getting this close to launch? These launch games are about to go gold any day now so surely we should be able to get more of an idea of what an actual race is like in Driveclub for example. Anyone remember playing the Dreamcast at retailers 6 months before launch or even renting it from Hollywood video months before launch?

Message 1 of 13 (10,526 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
1849 posts

Re: PS4 So Close To Launch, So Much Unknown

Oct 8, 2013
Message 2 of 13 (10,516 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. That is a great summary but it just reiterates how much is either unknown or unconfirmed. For example, the clock speeds is listed as "estimated" in that thread. Why? Because Sony has never published the clock speeds at all so there is not official word.

Message 3 of 13 (10,483 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
1849 posts

Oct 9, 2013
^Why, if I may ask, is the clock speed so imperative to know? The average gamer doesn't care; as long as it plays games, why would they want/need too?

As I already stated, the general population isn't going to want to know every aspect or specification of the hardware, so, there really isn't a need to release it.
PS Customer Support: 1-800-345-7669
Live Chat

Message 4 of 13 (10,472 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Here we are, a mere 5 weeks away from the PS4 being in living rooms in America and naturally it's an exciting time for gamers. The expectations for a game console launching in 2013 is exponentially higher than the PS3 in 2006 and the PS2 2000. The PS4 will have capabilities for everything from social gaming, motion control, video streaming, remote play, media entertainment ( movie and music streaming), and state-of-the-art gaming. In other words, there is a lot to communicate and a lot to prepare for launch. Yet, I have never felt that I knew so little of a system barely a month away from launch. Why are there so many questions still unanswered that will be essential for buyers at launch?

5 Weeks cannot get here soon enough.

Have you been living with Gilligan and the Skipper?

Essential questions, ok let's have a look.

Hardware Unanswered Questions:

1. What are the final specs of the PS4 hardware? Specifcally, the CPU, GPU, and memory clock speeds? Note that Sony has never listed these specs officially at all. We only knew from unofficial leaked documents. It's the most powerful gaming console ever created say's Sony, Developers, Publishers and MS. Why do you think MS keeps trying to up their system to get closer to the PS4 that should be enough don't you think. Probably not, let's continue. Hope this helps.PlayStation-4-Specifications-Sheet.jpg
  2. What is the deal with the PS4 camera? How will the PS4 camera be used at a system level? Can we navigate the main UI with motion and voice controls? How will the facial recognition work? What games will support the camera at launch?
  3. How will the game streaming really work? Camera funcationality for picture in picture? Ustream/Twitch/PSN/Youtube use cases?
  4. When will the retail demo kiosks be available to try the system out? Again we out roughly a month out from launch?????
  5. Why haven't we still seen final PS4 HW running actual PS4 software yet? Or even debug PS4 units?

Heard of the Events lately where people are actually getting hands on with the PS4?

Software Unanswered Questions:

1. What will be the launch form and function of the new OS/UI? Why have we still not seen this a month out?
  2. What is Knack really about? Plot? Style? Game Progression? Powers? All we've seen is some scattered segments from gameplay (usually the same sections) but what will make or break that game is how the gameplay segments are linked together.
  3. Why haven't we seen a single video of gameplay in Driveclub featuring an actual race with competitive cars? Isn't that the basis of any racing game? What gameplay modes will the game really feature? How many tracks at launch?

These are just some that are nagging me but there are many more. Feel free to add others I may have forgotten. But seriously, why is so many basic things still so secretive? Shouldn't the consumer be well aware of the product they are getting this close to launch? These launch games are about to go gold any day now so surely we should be able to get more of an idea of what an actual race is like in Driveclub for example. Anyone remember playing the Dreamcast at retailers 6 months before launch or even renting it from Hollywood video months before launch?

I don't know this is all a joke, a conspiracy. Sony really isn't making the PS4. It's a bait and switch, Sony should't be keeping

all these secrets. They should be more truthful and honest like MS.

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 5 of 13 (10,457 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Here's another basic question: Will the PS4 support multitasking? Will I be able to switch to watch a Netflix movie from in a gameplay experience? Will I be able to video chat live while playing a game? What about stream some music from some streaming app while playing a game?

Message 6 of 13 (10,370 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

Here's another basic question: Will the PS4 support multitasking? Will I be able to switch to watch a Netflix movie from in a gameplay experience? Will I be able to video chat live while playing a game? What about stream some music from some streaming app while playing a game?

Yes to all questions and a whole lot more.

Did you even check the thread

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PlayStation-4-Everything-about-it-so-far/...

Go to the first page there is everything you want to know.

Are you getting a PS4?

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 7 of 13 (10,351 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Oct 10, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

Yes to all questions and a whole lot more.

Did you even check the thread

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PlayStation-4-Everything-about-it-so-far/...

Go to the first page there is everything you want to know.

Are you getting a PS4?

Yes I did check the thread and saw this  link http://www.gamerblahhhg.com/2013/07/sony-confirms-multitasking-on-ps4/. I guess to be clear, my point is that we have not seen it. So my question really wasn't "Will it..." but rather "How will it support multitasking?" A twitter comment and a bunch of yes and no answers don't really paint the picture of what the user experience will be like when I turn on my PS4 on Nov 15th. MS showed their vision/prototype of what using the system will be like from their initial unveil in May. Most of the questions I mentioned are already answered in their case. The XB1 specs are clear down to the clock speeds. The Kinect v2 capabilities were shown. How it works witth the system UI was also shown. That's why it stands in stark contrast that Sony hasn't shown this stuff so close to launch. All we got is that very edited UI video and the brief demonstration Shu did at Gamescom that only demonstrated a subset of the capability. Even things like remote play is nebulous. They have shown it twice (In Feb and TGS) but it still wasn't entirely reflective of what it will be like in the home. For example, at TGS when ACIV switched over to the Vita, we didn't actually see the dev perform the switch. The screen simply went black and it came up again and with the Vita already running. How many menus do I have to navigate to make that happen? How long does it take from initiation to live play on the VIta. Things like that just aren't clear.

I admit, I'm skeptical. Sony is first and foremost a hardware company and their attempts at software in the past were pretty lacking. The OS and software was by far the weakest aspect of the PS3. It's clear that the PS4 is a massive step forward in this regard but how it compares to Xbox One, Vita, or modern mobile platforms remains to be seen.  Again, I acknowledged that Sony has a tremendous amount of marketing and ongoing development to do, but I feel that by now most things should be past the conjecture point of "probably", "hopefully", and "most likely".

Message 8 of 13 (10,330 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13007 posts

Oct 10, 2013
Sony should make videos on their official youtube channel answering some Q's
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 9 of 13 (10,315 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Oct 10, 2013

I heard the CPU clock speed was set a 2ghz. So I think the final clock speed is a 2ghz 8 core cpu

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 10 of 13 (10,237 Views)
0 Likes