Jun 13 2013
By: HBomb4-2-0 First Son 6 posts

PS4 Shortage?

15 replies 2630 views Edited Jun 13, 2013

Hey, I dunno if this is already a topic somewhere, so just redirect if there is.

We all know how bad the PS3 shortage was, there were shootings, stabbings, muggings, beatings, etc.  So with this year’s E3 drawing to a close, and seeing PS4’s homerun presentation as well as it’s reasonable price, I have to ask…

Do you think there will be a shortage, and if so, how bad do you think it will be?  Think we will see a lot of campers?

First of all, PS4 has been raised up to almost a god-like status (it helps when the competition shoots itself in the balls) among this generation of consoles with its lack of restrictions on trading games, its ability to play games offline without a constant connection or 24hr check-ups.

To compound matters, With Microsoft basically telling its consumer base to f*ck off, so we are getting a huge flood new gamers to our community.  It just makes me wonder what lies ahead as the launch date approaches.

So anyway, enough of my ranting lets discuss.

P.S.   I’m not new to the PS community, I’ve been with Playstation since the very beginning; I still have my pre-dualshock ps1 console even.  I just haven’t really posted here before, though I plan on changing that.

Message 1 of 16 (2,630 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

Re: PS4 Shortage?

Jun 13, 2013

I'm sure there will be a typical shortage with this kind of launch. I do not think any console has every launched without a shortage. The company can only manufacture so much, and, having a sense of scarcity is a long-standing marketing tactic used to keep buzz going about a product. Apple is notorious for doing this, as is Nintendo. While there will be more gamers with the PS4 then there probably has been for other PS consoles, I don't think the increase will be anything too drastic. I can't imagine there being insane shortages. We will probably see a month or 2 on average where the console is difficult to find because they fly off the shelves faster than normal.

Per crime and violence... that's just the under-belly of humanity, and it will continue to happen with the PS4 and the XB1. For me? I will just be taking the day off work while I wait for order from Amazon to hit my door.

Message 2 of 16 (2,626 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13014 posts

Jun 13, 2013
I would just order mine online and have it shipped to my door. Too bad I don't have a flipping credit card......anyone wanna buy me a ps4? I will pay for it in love <3
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 3 of 16 (2,620 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

Jun 13, 2013

This is just preliminary.....

Once there is a known, specific yield in the manufacturing process, there will possibly be more pre-orders opened up as time goes on.... A lot can happen in 6 months.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 16 (2,619 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Jun 13, 2013

When the ps3 came out, i dont know if there was preorder or not, seem like no. Thats why there were mugging, ect. With the preorder, tons of ppl are preordering their system, so less likely to get mug or kill for a ps4.

Message 5 of 16 (2,610 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
209 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Newegg was sold out in 2 days.....

Message 6 of 16 (2,605 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 13, 2013

From what I understand there were PS3 preorders, but the shortage left many preorders hanging because there were even less consoles at launch than there were preorders.

Message 7 of 16 (2,598 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
944 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Sony also had to push the release a year back than they wanted because of the problems in production

Message 8 of 16 (2,584 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16827 posts

Jun 13, 2013

AwesomeShockWave wrote:

When the ps3 came out, i dont know if there was preorder or not, seem like no. Thats why there were mugging, ect. With the preorder, tons of ppl are preordering their system, so less likely to get mug or kill for a ps4.

PS3 had a supply shortage, and there were pre-orders..... (I've said previously that pre-orders weren't a 'thing' and I was completely wrong) due to a manufacturing fault.

This allowed people to scalp PS3's on ebay for $1000+ easily.

Once Sony anounced that in one month they would be shipping more PS3's and on a more steady schedule, no more scalping was going on.

I'd like to assume Sony is going to do something similar again this time around. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 16 (2,552 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I don't know which was sadder, the fact that scalpers were able to get away with doing that, or the fact that people actually payed $1,000/$2,000 for a PS3.

I tried camping out for one, went to a Circuit City, very early on the manager came out and say they had six consoles.  I was number seven in line.  In the end all I had to do was keep a close eye on future shipments and got my PS3 a month after launch.

I just hope there isn't some last minute component issue in the PS4 manufacturing.

Message 10 of 16 (2,539 Views)
0 Likes