Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: PS4 MANUFACTURING DEFECTS

Sep 22, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

Reason why some PS3's had over heating issues is b/c they get filled with dust. I know this does not count for launch systems but how many of you have actually opened up your PS3 and cleaned it out? The amount of crap and dust inside of my system was a shock, I'm really surprised it had not over heated or probably would have soon. It has nothing to do with how well it is ventilated b/c over time dust and all that will make its way into the system regardless. Once my warranty is up on my PS4 I'm going to look up how to take it apart and clean it out to prevent future issues.
Exactly. if you google "Dust inside ps3" and go to photos, you'll see a TON of really nasty and dusty PS3 guts, whom all have had a YLOD, overheating, or BD drive issue.

As far as launch system failures yes there will be some. It is an electronic device and no device can be made with 0% failure rate at launch. I'm sure there are people out there now that are having problems with the new iphone 5S as well. That's why products come with a warranty so you can get it fixed or replaced in that time frame and after the warranty is out you take the preventive measures like the ones I talked about above. 
Yup. Anything man made is not meant to last. Nothing is ever perfect.

I'm not concerned about it at all. I've been very lucky with electronics and not having issues. No console has ever broken on me ( PS1, PS2, PS3) and I still have a PS3 fatty. The only time I've had an issue is when my new 3D TV stopped working and I had to have one of the chip boards replaced in the back but it was under warranty regardless. My TV had great reviews, worked fine for  2 months and then one day would not turn on. That's just how it goes. Would I buy another LG TV again? Of course I would same thing could have happened with Samsung, Sony, Panasonic exc exc.. 
Same here. It doesn't make me go somewhere else. I don't make a big deal out of it if its out of warranty. If its under warranty, I will sure as hell make sure that it is either fixed at an authorized service center or replaced with a new unit.

I for one am not going to wait to get a PS4 just for them to work out issues ( even if there were any ) and waiting for a slim is no guarantee that you wont have issues with one of those. Like I said before all electronic devices can have issues, it does not matter when it was released and what revisions have been made. I'm not going to miss out on a bunch of games just to wait to buy the system. Id rather have the system and play the games as they come out VS. having all the games out I want to play and the system out but waiting and then having to play catch up with all the games I missed previously and playing all that are currently out at that time. Waiting to buy a PS4 b/c of possible failures is the dumbest reason I have heard. Its not like you eat the cost of it, its under warranty and once that's out just do what you can to prolong the life of your system. 
Again, 100% agree. 
Its a bit of fear mongering if you're worried about this happening. Sure, the PS4 isn't proven, but I'm very positive Sony AND Microsoft learn from past issues with their own hardware. I mean look at the PS3 Super Slim.... Its small, light, takes up very little power and doesn't make much heat vs the FAT which are huge, heavy and can double as a space heater in the winter.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 11 of 48 (352 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5729 posts

Sep 22, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

jjangel wrote:

My concern with the PS4, that's the same problem the PS3. I bought my first PS3 at launch and he gave faulty, lost device, will the same happen with the PS4?

That's why I'm waiting for the inevitable PS4 slim model (probably will come out 2-3 years after release). There will be a wider selection of games, major issues will be ironed out , and it will probably have a price cut by then (although I don't have any problem paying $399 for a PS4), and I also think slim consoles look better (and they take up less space).

Their will not be a slim model that is the slimmest it will be it is even smaller than the PS3 slim actually so yeah they won't make a slim ps3 because that is the only slim for PS4

photo yank10954_zpsvywwavr9.jpg
Message 12 of 48 (349 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Sep 22, 2013

ChangeDaBullets wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

jjangel wrote:

My concern with the PS4, that's the same problem the PS3. I bought my first PS3 at launch and he gave faulty, lost device, will the same happen with the PS4?

That's why I'm waiting for the inevitable PS4 slim model (probably will come out 2-3 years after release). There will be a wider selection of games, major issues will be ironed out , and it will probably have a price cut by then (although I don't have any problem paying $399 for a PS4), and I also think slim consoles look better (and they take up less space).

Their will not be a slim model that is the slimmest it will be it is even smaller than the PS3 slim actually so yeah they won't make a slim ps3 because that is the only slim for PS4

It can be smaller. Trust me.

the Slim and Super Slim PS3's use a 45nm die size. Some though have said the Super Slim uses 32nm size.

The PS4, and All of AMD's APU's are 32-45nm. 
Not to mention the ever evolving efficiency of integrated circuits/SMD etc etc.

Give it 4-5 years and we'll see a smaller PS4 using something like a 22nm size and be just as small as the PS3 Super Slim. 
Especially if they use an external power supply which will dramatically reduce the size.

Technology is advancing at an exponential rate. Barely 60-80 years has passed and we came from a hard drive the size of a house that was just a few megabytes large and new we're at TERABYTE drives the size of a credit card..... close to 20 years ago we got 1Ghz processors the size of a brick. 
10 years ago, we started seeing multi-core processors show up that do exponentially more work than a single core CPU ever did at a SLOWER clock speed. To get even a fraction of performance from a dual core Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, you would have to have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on a DUAL CPU motherboard and have specialized software to take advantage of it.

Saying that we won't see a smaller PS4 is jumping the gun.

I'm calling it right now, we'll see a PS4 Slim several years down the road.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 13 of 48 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Sep 22, 2013

^^^^^ Thats how systems get smaller, they are able to make computer componets more powerful with better cooling all in a smaller package.

Message 14 of 48 (327 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 22, 2013

So you are going to deprive yourself of possibly a couple years of gaming on the off chance that you MIGHT get a faulty unit and possibly save maybe $50?

Seems illogical.

Message 15 of 48 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Sep 22, 2013
Hoping not while all ps4 should come with at least at 1 year warranty, my 1st batch gen 1 20gig ps3 lasted till 3 months ago and got the ylod Smiley Sad
My names roastbeefbeast and I dislike most people Smiley Very Happy
Message 16 of 48 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Sep 22, 2013

It cant get smaller?

IBM can put data on atoms....

please...

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 17 of 48 (308 Views)
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Sep 22, 2013

RoastBeefBeast wrote:
Hoping not while all ps4 should come with at least at 1 year warranty, my 1st batch gen 1 20gig ps3 lasted till 3 months ago and got the ylod Smiley Sad

Why would it not? The PS3 had a one year warranty. Its only common sense that the PS4 would have the same thing. Pretty much every electronic device on the market today had a one year warranty out of the box. 

Message 18 of 48 (300 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 22, 2013

I bought the First Ps3 Aka the fatBoi and never had any Problems with it . Yes it ran a little hot but nothing like The 360 with the Ring of death and i just traded my Fatboi in like 2 months ago  for 100$ credit from gamestop Smiley Happy. i had to change Psn ID cause i let my little sister Create it and assassinkitten ID is not too manly now Smiley Sad .. I'm sure Playstation is running the Ps4 tough the ringer the last thing they need is a bunch of  people returning their Ps4 cause it can't handle gaming sessions 7-8 hours a day and going Boom..

Message 19 of 48 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Sep 23, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

It cant get smaller?

IBM can put data on atoms....

please...

Not to mention use DNA to store Petabytes of Data.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 20 of 48 (275 Views)
0 Likes