Splicer
63 posts

Re: PS4 Hard Drive SATA Controller?

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2013

@SHANE523 Well considering i originally put it in general instead of support, yes i thought it should be in the proper place.

Thought this fit the support section more

@Unicorn--Justice  Do you have any insight or words of wisdom on this matter?

Message 11 of 24 (2,341 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2853 posts

Nov 5, 2013
Wouldn't the sticker on the HDD that's installed in the PS4 have that information? If it does, then you could wait until you buy yours and check yourself. Or if you're not getting one, I'm sure someone in the world will post pics of it. IF that doesn't even happen, I can let you know when I get mine next week.
Message 12 of 24 (2,330 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7108 posts

Nov 5, 2013

NinjaZeroEight wrote:
Wouldn't the sticker on the HDD that's installed in the PS4 have that information? If it does, then you could wait until you buy yours and check yourself. Or if you're not getting one, I'm sure someone in the world will post pics of it. IF that doesn't even happen, I can let you know when I get mine next week.

The HDD and the actual controller could be different. I don't see the point of putting a large SSD for the amount of money it will cost. There are hybrid 1TB drives that will give you better performance that are much cheaper than a flat SSD. Regardless, the cost between SATA2 and 3 drives is really minimal. Your best option would be to determine size and SSD or Hybrid and not worry about the SATA controller.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 13 of 24 (2,322 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Nov 5, 2013

SHANE523 wrote:

NinjaZeroEight wrote:

The HDD and the actual controller could be different. I don't see the point of putting a large SSD for the amount of money it will cost. There are hybrid 1TB drives that will give you better performance that are much cheaper than a flat SSD. Regardless, the cost between SATA2 and 3 drives is really minimal. Your best option would be to determine size and SSD or Hybrid and not worry about the SATA controller.

The whole point of this is to determine if it's at least SATA II 3.0Gb/s because if it's only SATA I then there's no point in upgrading to anything beyone a 7200 rpm drive. so it's literally buy a ssd or not to buy a ssd. which is around $400 in limbo.

Message 14 of 24 (2,318 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Nov 5, 2013

NinjaZeroEight wrote:

thanks ninja but unfortunately the speed of the hard drive and the speed of the controller on the board of the ps4 are two separate things. Sorry I didn't exactly make that clear in the title.

Thanks for the offer to help though!

Message 15 of 24 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2853 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2013

Hmm... I'm not sure how else you can find out. I doubt customer service reps at Sony would know such things.
Good luck!

Message 16 of 24 (2,308 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
6003 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2013

Hunter926 wrote:

Hi, I was looking through your online faq here, http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#sect1

I saw that the ps4 will have a SATA 3GB/s HDD inside of it, and that it will support hard drives smaller than 9.5mm and 160GB and up.

It states that the HDD is upgradable, however does not specify what type of SATA controller it will have.

I'm looking into a SSD and really don't want to waste my money on a faster SSD, if i will never be able to use the drive to it's full potential.

So my question is:

Can a sony official please specify the speed at which the SATA controller operates at inside the ps4? (eg. 1.5Gb/s, 3.0Gb/s, or 6.0Gb/s)

If your telling me the HDD is upgradable can you also tell me to what extent it is upgradable to?

If not how will I know i'm "upgrading" anything except storage space. It would make no sense to purchase a SSD if all the PS4 will have is a SATA 1.5Gb/s controller.

Thanks for your time,

Hunter

Doing some digging would have gave you your answer but I'm here to help Smiley Wink!

I agree that the FAQ does not mention what SATA controller but we can do some research and find out what it is.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hardware_Specs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6770/sony-announces-playstation-4-pc-hardware-inside

It's an AMD Jaguar board, here's a good breakdown.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6976/amds-jaguar-architecture-the-cpu-powering-xbox-one-playstation-4-...

Now that we know it's an AMD Jaguar architecture (x86-x64), we also know it's based off of the Kabini set.

http://extremespec.net/amd-mobile-processors-named-richland-kabini-temash/

http://technewspedia.com/leaked-details-of-the-future-some-kabini-apu-amd/ 

A SATA 3 controller is the answer if you didn't read the article(s) btw. I'd love an official statement from Sony but this is more likely the answer.

Message 17 of 24 (2,293 Views)
Wastelander
811 posts

Nov 6, 2013
Nice work and info da1writer!

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 18 of 24 (2,290 Views)
Splicer
63 posts

Nov 6, 2013

@da1writerThank you so much! All of that goes a little over my head.

I just checked those articles but quickly came to the conclusion that

I had no idea what half of it was talking about soooo, thanks man = )

Message 19 of 24 (2,277 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2013

SHANE523 wrote:

There really shouldn't be a huge difference in a SATA3 costs and it will dumb down IF the PS4 uses SATA2.

Are there SSD SATA2 still available? I would think those would be older and smaller data size. I have not looked but I think the newer larger SSD are all SATA3.

Regardless anything 2.5" and 1 or 1.5TB seem to be SATA3. As long as it is 2.5" and 9.5mm you will be fine. The connection will dumb down so getting a SATA3 is fine.

Yes, there are SATA2 and even SATA1 SSD's.

Even still, an SSD of a decent size no matter what interface it uses is still pricey.

Intel 320 SATA2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167058

Almost every SATA2 SSD of a decent size is going to be somewhere around $300 for something like 128-256GB all the way up to $700 for 750+GB. 

I've said it many times before..... SSDs need to come down below $.50 per GB before we get decent prices and capacities.

As it stands, hdd's are almost dirt cheap, larger capacity and they're pretty fast even at 5400rpm spindle speeds. 

Unless you're baller status and have disposable income, I can't recommend ANYONE get an SSD for a game console.
The benefits are not enough STILL. And there aren't enough games that take much advantage of SSD.

Most games, comparing running off of an SSD and HDD, are just a few seconds here and there faster than HDD. And that usually just initially loading the game up. Most games today have very little load screens, and if they do, they're pretty quick anyway.

That said.... without opening the PS4 and looking at every chip that is on the motherboard to identify which is which, theres not going to be much information about this.

I really wouldn't waste your money.

If anything.... I'd spend the money on a SSHD. Over time, the SSD section of the drive will learn the data is most commonly uses, and puts that into the drives' cache. So things like the UI/bootup and the most commonly accessed game will reap its benefits.
Sad part about these Hybrid drives, is that the flash memory for the cache is only 8Gb.

Apple has some Hybrid drives it calls "Fusion Drive" where it has a MASSIVE flash memory side. They currently offer 2 Fusion Drives, one is a 1TB where its 1TB of hdd and has 128GB of flash memory. The other is a 3TB with 256GB of flash.
They're much cheaper than having a massive SSD, and about twice the price of current 1-3TB hdds, but there a really good balance.
I am looking at buying a pair of iMac's for myself and for my mother for Christmas and this Fusion Drive looks like its worth the extra $200 for the 1TB  and $350 for the 3TB. 

Here's some info I dug up in a hurry
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412726,00.asp

Maybe someday we'll see these Fusion drives show up in the future and offer the best balance of price vs performance vs storage

Furiously Chaosing
Message 20 of 24 (2,267 Views)
0 Likes