Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 12 2013
By: MichaelWStevens Monster Hunter 25 posts

PS4 HDCP: Who does it matter to and why? Answers.

[ Edited ]
32 replies 27036 views Edited Sep 13, 2013

There is a lot of misinformation going around, particularly on forums, in regards to why HDCP restrictions on gameplay recording matter and to who. This post is designed to remedy that.

Who cares the most about HDCP restrictions on gameplay recording?

– 1 – YouTubers.

– 2 – Would-be gaming journalists trying to make a name for themselves.

– 3 – Streamers who do not want to use PS4's built-in streaming functions. Perhaps PS4 can't automatically detect and appropriately adjust settings in regards to proper bitrates and quality in order to produce the best stream for the user's connection. This can be done over the PC using Open Broadcaster Software, XSplit, etc.

– 4 – A mix of the above.

Why do HDCP restrictions on gameplay recording matter to these people?

– 1 – If a YouTuber can't upload to YouTube, there's an obvious problem there. If you take away their ability to record gameplay via HDMI from the PlayStation 4, they will take their money elsewhere. This isn't a small demographic, either. Some of these people have hundreds of thousands if not millions of subscribers and some average hundreds of thousands of views per video. I don't think Sony wants to alienate that vast audience.

– 2 – The press receive certain types of video game systems or accessories/peripherals that allow them to directly record gameplay from the system where the general public may not be able to. We see this with "nitro boxes" for handhelds or development kit units with built-in recording software or HDMI out. This gives you the best quality and is the preferred method of recording. Would-be employees of the gaming industry, typically using a blog or website and typically paired with a YouTube presence attempting to build a name for themselves as a freelance journalist or video producer, do not have access to these specialized systems. Only certain press outlets have them, such as IGN, Polygon, GameSpot, etc.

Why should Sony disable HDCP restrictions for gameplay recording via HDMI?

– 1 – May, 2013. Nintendo begins a crusade against YouTubers and starts claiming ad revenue on user-generated content. The backlash was immediate, fierce and unrelenting. Within a month, Nintendo backed down. This should have sent a very clear message to console makers and game developers: you - do - not - get - in - the - way - of - YouTube. There's no reason to do something like this, either. Nintendo's excuse was that they wanted their content to be "shared in an appropriate and safe way," which literally makes no sense. YouTube isn't piracy. It's not even close.

– 2 – PlayStation 4's competition is not enabling HDCP for gameplay recording via HDMI. With such a strong focus on socially charged gaming and connectivity, Sony would be sending an incredibly confusing message by closing a door that their competitors have left wide open.

Misconceptions people have in regards to PlayStation 4 and YouTube/Twitch connectivity.

– 1 – "The PlayStation 4 can still upload to YouTube, right? – That's a different matter entirely and has nothing to do with HDCP restrictions. When Mark Cerny appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, he specifically stated that YouTube was on the approved list of websites PlayStation 4 could directly upload to. Not only does this make perfect sense given the importance of YouTube in today's gaming industry, but Mark Cerny is one of the most well-spoken individuals on the planet and I doubt he misspoke.

– 2 – "It doesn't matter if PlayStation 4 can't upload to YouTube either directly or through gameplay recording via HDMI." – You could not be more wrong. YouTube is critical – indeed, absolutely vital – to the gaming community. It is because of YouTube that Call of Duty (love it or hate it) has become the behemoth it is. Without YouTube, Minecraft would never have blown up the way it did. If not for YouTube, the entire gaming industry would be far less profitable. We may not be where we are today and the entire concept of social connectivity in regards to gaming would not be the same if YouTube didn't exist. YouTube is its own form of media and entertainment. There's no dancing around these truths.

– 3 – "Have fun with USTREAM! Hahaha! Xbox One has Twitch and PlayStation 4 doesn't!" – At Gamescom, Sony announced Twitch would indeed be available for PlayStation 4. Stop spreading misinformation in an attempt to make your preferred console look better. The truth will eventually come out and become common knowledge, anyway.

We can just use HDCP strippers, right?
– 1 – No. First off, no matter what you are told, HDCP strippers are illegal if you plan to use them in the way YouTubers and Twitch streamers would use them, i.e. monetizing the recorded footage. They may be illegal, period. I'm not a lawyer. I'm not 100% positive. I do know that using HDCP strippers is not recommended and by extension I do not recommend using HDCP strippers to anyone that I know.

But Hauppauge said they had the HD PVR 2 working with PlayStation 4!

– 1 – Hauppauge never said this. They said it "looks like, unofficially, gameplay can be recorded with the HD PVR 2." This does not mean they had a PlayStation 4 hooked up to the HD PVR 2.

– 2 – This was the post from Hauppauge's Facebook page on June 20th, 2013.

Hauppauge Facebook.png

– 3 – And this was a response I got from Hauppauge when I included them in a tweet to Shuhei Yoshida last night.

Hauppauge Twitter.png

YouTube is preventing PlayStation 4 from uploading to it!

– 1 – Wrong. YouTube's policies have nothing to do with PlayStation 4's ability or inability to upload to YouTube.

– 2 – "But what about that thing with Microsoft and Apple?" – Completely unrelated. They each had their own problems with YouTube, but both were not due to YouTube being hard to work with or anything like that. The problems were not on YouTube's end.

Why does this matter to MichaelWStevens, the creator of this topic?

– 1 – I admit it. I never bought a PlayStation 3. I was deployed to Iraq from October 2006 to January 2008 and missed the launch window. A lot of us had our Xbox 360's shipped to us. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were huge in Iraq because we would hook CAT-5 cable up across our living area and enjoy LAN games in our downtime. Also, PS3's initial price tag was absurd and their E3 presentation was a total mess. Xbox One had extremely bad messaging at their reveal, but I would argue that PS3's debut wasn't much better. This essentially made a lot of us PlayStation fans feel a bit out of whack. Xbox 360 was already out. All our friends were on it. We felt like there was no real reason to throw down that much money on a PlayStation 3. We tucked PlayStation 3 in the back of our minds. "For later."

– 2 – Unfortunately, for me, "later" never quite came to fruition the way I hoped it would. I received a Purple Heart when I was struck by a large buried IED during my deployment. I completed the tour, but the injuries I received were long-term and would take me out of my combat MOS (Military Occupational Speciality). Instead of taking a desk job for the next 16 years, I received an honorable medical discharge in November, 2009. I met my wife shortly afterwards.

– 3 – My sole source of income has been disability pay from Veteran's Affairs. It's not very much. The wife and I tried a few things to move forward with our lives, but money was always an issue. Never ended up with the spare change to pick up a PlayStation 3. As of a couple weeks ago, I've started to attend college. I receive a little bit of extra money per month for using my Post 9/11 GI Bill. We also receive the loans and grants people normally receive for college as extra money in our pocket to do with what we please. So, for the first time in years, we have just a little bit of play money. The rest will be saved and used in conjunction with whatever I can get for a VA home loan once I've received my B.A. in English, which will be in 2017. We can't get a VA home loan now because my credit score is below 650... which is something they never tell you when they tell you how great the VA home loan system is. And before you say anything about "getting a job," know that this town in central/eastern Maine is an economic black hole. Here, finding a job is like finding a dwarven unicorn. You can't even apply anywhere because there's pretty much nowhere to apply to. Fortunately, I can do distance learning at a nearby technical college and that's how I'm doing ITV classes with the University of Maine Augusta to attain my English degree.

– 4 – With my little bit of play money, I can afford one next-gen console. PlayStation 4 is not only cheaper, but it's more powerful, more pleasing to my eye, and Mark Cerny did a wonderful job of winning me over during the reveal and at GameLab 2013. The difference in messaging from the PS3 reveal to the PS4 reveal has been so refreshing and bright. It reminded me of the PlayStation I knew growing up in the 1990s and early 2000s. From Final Fantasy VII to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the PS1 and PS2 days were magical. So far, PS4 has been a brilliant reminder of that era, a rekindling of an idea that games can be experiences and not just games. The bottom line is, I've never felt like an Xbox guy. I'm a PlayStation man at heart.

– 5 – As previously stated, YouTube and Twitch are important to me. I would like to pursue a career in the gaming industry. My dream job, as silly as it sounds, is to be PlayStation's version of Major Nelson, but better. I'd love to work for Polygon or IGN. I feel that building a strong online presence will be critical in helping me achieve my goals.

– 6 – I do not want to turn to Xbox One simply because they have disabled HDCP for gameplay recording via HDMI. I have one chance to nab a next-generation console and I am dead set on the PlayStation 4. If PS4 blocks gameplay recording via HDMI, I simply won't have a choice. Let me give you my money, Sony!

A couple more key points...

–1 – Executives implemented HDCP to prevent ripping. Yet HDCP strippers do indeed exist and, essentially, anyone who has the desire to bypass HDCP in order to rip Blu-Rays WILL, unfortunately, find a way. HDCP is a roadblock for the people who DON'T want to use the PS4 for nefarious purposes. We just wanna capture gameplay the way we've always captured it! The importance of having that raw video file at your command cannot be overstated. It's important. And it wouldn't be very efficient to have to use a USB thumb drive or external hard drive to get the files from the PS4's HDD to an editing platform. Please, do not try and convince me that PS4's built-in editing application is as robust as Sony Vegas!

– 2 – It's not a hardware issue. A firmware update could remove the HDCP block from gameplay recording via HDMI according to Jared Gerritzen of Zombie Studios.

JGZS.png

Closing Statement

– I am sure that PlayStation 4 hasn't come all this way just to shoot itself in both feet at the last second. I believe in them.

I have such faith in the people at PlayStation that I am going down to Walmart in the next half hour to place my pre-order. I'm way late, but it's a small Walmart in a small town and I only just got the money to do this. I should be lucky enough to pick one up on launch day.

Thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/MichaelMateria -- http://www.twitch.tv/MichaelWStevens
Follow me on Twitter: @StevensMichaelW -- Aspiring writer and avid gamer
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 33 (27,036 Views)
Monster Hunter
25 posts

Re: PS4 HDCP: Who does it matter to and why? Answers.

Sep 12, 2013

I have edited the topic a couple of times. I feel that I am done with the initial post. I hope readers will get something out of this. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 33 (26,985 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8410 posts

Sep 12, 2013

Interesting to know there is a community. I don't do uTube, but I can see it's importance.

Thank you for your service.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 33 (26,887 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4563 posts

Sep 12, 2013

Would like to point out that YouTube is supported, Mark Cerney - the LEAD Architect of the PS4 said so already.

http://cramgaming.com/ps4-share-to-youtube-confirmation-8131/

Machinima hasn't had good hits lately and pulled a straw to cause the community to go dumb for the past day now.

Twitch is coming to PS4, believe!

http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/08/twitch-coming-to-ps4/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/20/4641124/sony-announces-one-click-streaming-with-twitch-integration...

YouTube has already been confirmed coming by Mark Cerney and if not I'm sure a deal is being done. I'll trust the Lead Architect of the console over the Machinima group that popped the 4.5GB rumor of the PS4 a while ago (which was debunked - 6.5GB according to multiple developers)

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/06/youll_be_able_to_upload_your_ps4_videos_directly_to_youtube

With my link just now, developers are being allowed to use capture cards, I'm sure Sony will allow it for its users. If not, there are capture cards that work for PS4.

http://stickskills.com/2013/06/21/hauppauge-hd-pvr-2-will-work-with-xbox-one-ps4/

Would like you give those a reminder that the MEGA PS4 thread has the supported uploading services noted already...Here's a snip.

Upload to and View from:

Ustream | Twitch (Thanks al2009man), Link 2 | Youtube |Facebook | Twitter (thanks al2009man)

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 33 (26,821 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
25 posts

Sep 12, 2013
I almost feel like you didn't read the thread too closely, da1writer. I covered Twitch integration, the difference between uploading directly to YouTube as Mark Cerny said you could and recording with an external capture card (BIG difference), and Hauppauge's Facebook post.

Especially regarding Hauppauge's Facebook post... People took that as confirmation when it clearly was not confirmation. Look at the Twitter picture I posted or even the Facebook post itself. It is NOT confirmation.

Shuhei Yoshida took to Twitter an hour or so ago. I will update with a cell phone screenshot in a moment.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 33 (26,808 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
25 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 13, 2013

EDIT – Got home and uploaded a better picture.

YOSP PS4 HDCP Tweet.png

To me, it sounds like they had HDCP enabled, blocking gameplay capture via HDMI, and are in the process of fixing it.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 33 (26,798 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4563 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 12, 2013

MichaelWStevens wrote:
I almost feel like you didn't read the thread too closely, da1writer. I covered Twitch integration, the difference between uploading directly to YouTube as Mark Cerny said you could and recording with an external capture card (BIG difference), and Hauppauge's Facebook post.

Especially regarding Hauppauge's Facebook post... People took that as confirmation when it clearly was not confirmation. Look at the Twitter picture I posted or even the Facebook post itself. It is NOT confirmation.

Shuhei Yoshida took to Twitter an hour or so ago. I will update with a cell phone screenshot in a moment.

Apologies, I'm currently up in arms today over a bogus rumor started by Machinima, a site that hasn't gotten a lot of hits in a long while. It's also the very website that started the PS4 only having 4.5GB for games which got debunked by a multitude of developers saying it's over 6GB. I didn't believe the YouTube rumor once it was said today, especially with Mark Cerney saying it was coming or available already...

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 33 (26,794 Views)
Monster Hunter
25 posts

Sep 13, 2013

I updated the picture of Shuhei Yoshida's tweet.

Yeah, I've been fighting the same battle for quite a while, now, too. =\

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 33 (26,754 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1803 posts

Sep 13, 2013

da1writer wrote:

MichaelWStevens wrote:

Apologies, I'm currently up in arms today over a bogus rumor started by Machinima, a site that hasn't gotten a lot of hits in a long while. It's also the very website that started the PS4 only having 4.5GB for games which got debunked by a multitude of developers saying it's over 6GB. I didn't believe the YouTube rumor once it was said today, especially with Mark Cerney saying it was coming or available already...

Same. Had to create a vid of the thing (which you can find on these boards) which interrupted my KH 1.5 Remix time 

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGOODKyle
http://www.twitch.tv/thegoodkyle
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 33 (26,746 Views)
Monster Hunter
25 posts

Sep 13, 2013

Bump. Geez.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 33 (26,686 Views)
0 Likes