2546 posts

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Oct 8, 2013

ToramaruTaiga wrote:

I

I bought HD/DVD (better than Blu-Ray)

Etcetera.

Smiley Frustrated

I guess that's why it failed in about 6 months b/c it was better then blu ray huh?

Sony is not going to have the PS3 play 3D movies then come out w/ a new system that wont play 3D movies. Each new system that comes out does eveything the previous system did and more, thats the point of upgrading. A company does not release a  new product and say ....Hey everyone come buy this even though  you get less then with the last one.......

Message 21 of 50 (1,000 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

Oct 8, 2013

ToramaruTaiga wrote:

I do not see HOW the PS4 will play movies and Games in 3D because the PS4 will have AMD Graphics chipsets; and I just bought a large 3D computer monitor to play 3D games and films, but, because I have AMD graphics cards, it will not allow 3D to play; as the Asus monitor only supports NVidia 3D graphics.

So; how will those of us with different monitors be able to play on a PS4 if NVidia will not let AMD develop hardware which can use its 3D system?

Will there be two versions oft eh PS4 to suit the two main types of 3D TV`s and monitors?

Who REALLY Knows. 

They already kept it a bit of a secret before  I just spent over $450 on a 3D monitor that I cannot use in 3D with my new build PC.

You are basically talking about two different variations of 3D technology.

For nVidia's 3D Vision (which is an active shutter technology), you do need a specific type of monitor to use it, as well as a pair of nVidia-manufactured active 3D glasses.  This technology is NOT compatible with current 'mainstream' brands of 3DTV.

For the 'mainstream' variations of 3D (active shutter / passive polarized), you can use virtually any 3D-capable TV manufactured after about 2009 (when the Blu-ray 3D standard was finalized).

Message 22 of 50 (976 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 10, 2013

Blue-Ray succeed not because it was better; but because SONY supported REGION CODING; AS DID MOST OF THE FILM INDUSTRY they are HEAVILY involved with; whereas most Toshiba HD-DVD movies are not and were not region coded.

If customers want to be controlled; and have lower quality (as VHS is to Betamax) then thats what they want.. 

I admit that Betamax was slightly more expensive though; but, like HD-DVD, it was better; the sheeple dont always see it through their purses though..

Message 23 of 50 (947 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 10, 2013

I also saw some `passive` 3D on a very new large SONY 55-inch TV today in 3D in an electronics store today, and I assure you it is not as good as Active shutter 3D on the VG278H Asus monitor.

That really is something to behold.

The SONY is ok though, if you like slightly lower resolution and quality. 

I keep dreaming that Toshiba will give up on viewing angle and bring out a set of glasses-free 3D TVs which you actually sit in front of and stop complaining about viewing angle (so all the head-tracking technology isn`t required) So the PRICE COMES DOWN.

But thats a dream.... for now. 

Message 24 of 50 (946 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Oct 10, 2013

timewasted wrote:

Hello - forgive my ignorance but will the new Playstation 4 play 3D Blu-Ray DVDS ?

I just purchased a new Sony KDL55W900A tv in anticipation of release of the PS4. 

I now have 3D glasses that came with the tv but not sure if the PS4 plays 3D Blu Ray movies ?  Don't want to waste my money on a separate 3D player !

Thanks.

No.

This is the PS4.

It will only play 4D Blu Ray movies.

Duh.

Be One With The Game.

Message 25 of 50 (940 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 10, 2013

ToramaruTaiga wrote:
Active shutter 3D on the VG278H Asus monitor.

I keep dreaming that Toshiba will give up on viewing angle and bring out a set of glasses-free 3D TVs which you actually sit in front of and stop complaining about viewing angle (so all the head-tracking technology isn`t required) So the PRICE COMES DOWN.

Really?  You think glasses-free will free you of viewing angle issues?

You realize with glasses-free technology, you have to sit 100% perfectly still in a precise position to maintain a 3D image, right?  This is why glasses-free 3D on a mobile phone lasted about a minute and a half, and there was only a single 3D mobile phone ever produced.

Most kids I know that have 3DSs play with the 3D turned off for this exact reason.  If people can't handle having to maintain a perfect viewing angle for a 3-4 inch screen, how do you propose to do it on a 60-65 inch screen?

By its very nature, glasses-free 3D has a viewing angle of about 1.5 degrees (horizontal AND vertical).  Whereas passive 3D has a horizontal viewing angle of about 160 degrees and a vertical viewing angle of about 90.  Active shutter 3D is about 170 degrees horizonal and about 120 degrees vertical.

And, btw...  who pays $500 for a 27-inch monitor?

Sony's specialty in 3DTVs is active shutter.  They are relatively new to passive 3D technology (which I admit is not very good with Sony).  If you want to look at a 'proper' passive 3D set, I recommend Vizio or LG.  Both brands use the same 3D technology found in movie theaters (Real3D / Cinema3D) and are compatible with those 3D glasses, which means you can acquire extra glasses by keeping the glasses from the theater when you go to a 3D movie.

Want to host a 3D viewing party for 5?  With active shutter glasses, you need to spend an additional $400 on glasses.  With Passive, you can find 5-packs of 3D glasses for about $10.  Of course, a party of 5 is going to be a bit cramped crowding around a 27-inch screen.

Message 26 of 50 (926 Views)
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Oct 11, 2013

ToramaruTaiga wrote:

I also saw some `passive` 3D on a very new large SONY 55-inch TV today in 3D in an electronics store today, and I assure you it is not as good as Active shutter 3D on the VG278H Asus monitor.

I did a ton of reseach on Active VS Passive 3D Before buying my 3D TV and I came to discover that the difference between the two is minimal and I would rather watch 3D TV w/ out having to wear glasses that require battery's to operate. Passive 3D glasses are very light and you cant even tell you have them on after awhile compared to the weight of active 3D glasses which after worn for awhile ( like a long movie ) will start to get uncomfortable

Message 27 of 50 (906 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Oct 11, 2013

1D = side to side

1D = Front to back

1D = Top to Bottom

1D = Time from beginning to end

1+1+1+1 = 4

My Ps3 supports 4D!

I expect more from the Ps4, just gotta figure out what the next D is........

Heres hoping the ps4 will give us some manual correction of parallax seperation.

I think this is what the ps3 screen size selection does but I cant figure out which way to skew it, I have a 61" tv and usually put 40" as my screen size because I figure a 40" screen is big enough for people to likely sit more then 8ft away, but at that distance the 3D effect would be hard to see so I assume or guesstimate this is one of the most pop out 3D sizes.  I cant really tell for actual content though.

Anybody know the trick of setting your screen size to increase the 3D effect?  Why else would screen size matter? 

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:
"Of course you can. You can do this with the PS3 and the PS4 would not be taking steps back."

Smiley Sad Smiley Happy

Vertigomega wrote:
Being angry that your gaming console focuses on gaming is kind of like being mad that your microwave focuses too much on warming up your food.
But the new model removed the light bulb and timer from the microwave, so now you never know when the foods done, so ends up burnt a lot or undercooked.
Message 28 of 50 (896 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Oct 11, 2013

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:

ToramaruTaiga wrote:

I did a ton of reseach on Active VS Passive 3D Before buying my 3D TV and I came to discover that the difference between the two is minimal and I would rather watch 3D TV w/ out having to wear glasses that require battery's to operate. Passive 3D glasses are very light and you cant even tell you have them on after awhile compared to the weight of active 3D glasses which after worn for awhile ( like a long movie ) will start to get uncomfortable

Yeah for the most part passive is fine or better in many ways, no flicker, less ghosting compared to LCD active shutter beyond 40", Less expensive so more can enjoy at once, better viewing angles, I hear less people complain about headaches, etc.

As long as you dont sit super close to see the resolution loss passive is more then good enough.

But I sit about 7ft away from my 61" 3DTV, so I had to go with shutter, luckily the main problems with active shutter dont really present on my tv because of its ultra fast response times (Far less then 1ms).  So i get no ghosting, flicker, or noticable resolution drop.

For flat screens I would think Plasma or OLED would have the best active shutter, although I dont like plasma and OLED apparently has a lot of growing to do before it can replace old faithful.  I hear OLED has burn in, and the colors degrade more quickley then with LED/LCD for some reason.

Basically I am so glad i grabbed the tv i did before they were discontinued way back in 2007.

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:
"Of course you can. You can do this with the PS3 and the PS4 would not be taking steps back."

Smiley Sad Smiley Happy

Vertigomega wrote:
Being angry that your gaming console focuses on gaming is kind of like being mad that your microwave focuses too much on warming up your food.
But the new model removed the light bulb and timer from the microwave, so now you never know when the foods done, so ends up burnt a lot or undercooked.
Message 29 of 50 (891 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2013

I recently upgraded from the 24" PS3 3D Display (active shutter) to a 42" Vizio 3DTV (passive), and agree with the fact that passive is much more comfortable to watch for longer periods of time.

While I had to take a couple of breaks while watching Avatar in 3D on the Sony display (a 3 hour movie) due to mild headaches coming on, I was able to watch both Star Trek Into Darkness and Men in Black 3, both in 3D, back to back (nearly 5 hours with only a brief rest room and disc change break in between) on the Vizio without any headache at all.

Color and brightness of the video is also significantly better on the Passive display.

Now, if only Netflix would get some "quality" 3D content (like the Marvel movies), I would be in absolute heaven...  though Nitro Circus: The Movie is pretty cool in 3D...

Message 30 of 50 (885 Views)
0 Likes