Monster Hunter
32 posts

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Sep 8, 2013

Thanks for all the responses - looks like it's good news then.

Although, I suspect the novelty of 3D will be gone before the PS4 is in my hands Smiley Tongue.

Message 11 of 50 (1,813 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1748 posts

Sep 9, 2013

Why would Sony Support 3D, push it into Development, Stock Stores up with it, & then after everyone buys it, all of a sudden just 

stop supporting it... That sounds wrong to me, oO

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 12 of 50 (1,802 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

Sep 9, 2013

I enjoy watching 3d movies on my PS3 and I would hope the ps4 would have that as an option. 

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 13 of 50 (1,799 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 7, 2013

I do not see HOW the PS4 will play movies and Games in 3D because the PS4 will have AMD Graphics chipsets; and I just bought a large 3D computer monitor to play 3D games and films, but, because I have AMD graphics cards, it will not allow 3D to play; as the Asus monitor only supports NVidia 3D graphics.

So; how will those of us with different monitors be able to play on a PS4 if NVidia will not let AMD develop hardware which can use its 3D system?

Will there be two versions oft eh PS4 to suit the two main types of 3D TV`s and monitors?

Who REALLY Knows. 

They already kept it a bit of a secret before  I just spent over $450 on a 3D monitor that I cannot use in 3D with my new build PC.

Message 14 of 50 (1,719 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Oct 7, 2013

Teus wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

Teus wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/

that answers nothing,, other than technical specs.....

ps3 had 3d bluray support since update 3.6.

and while 3d is a passing fad it is more of a yea it can support it if you want it..

there is nothing physically different between a bluray disc and a 3d blu ray disc.., the only difference is the data encoded on the disc..

its only the player that needs to be made to understand the 3d data.. which for the ps3 it was a simple firmware update that gave the ps3 the ability to use 3d bluray discs

3D at home was a passing fad in 1995, maybe, but thanks to James Cameron (Avatar) it is very much becoming mainstream, indicated by the fact that 3D TVs are no longer 3-4 times the price of a 2D TV.  3D in a TV, particularly Passive technology, is generally only $50-100 more than the 2D counterpart in any particular model.

Today's 'passing fad' as far as home TVs go is the 'Smart' functionality (Apps, Wifi/ethernet connectivity, etc).

Five years ago, there were maybe 5 to 6 3D titles available on Amazon.  Today, there are over 20 pages of 3D BD choices.

i know that 3d isnt going away...  just its no longer being used as a selling point... besides i dont see why the ps4 wont support it...  

I bought the TV I have exactly for what it had for 3D so that was a major selling point for me. Bc of the improved quality of 3D content and the price coming down it is not just a Fad, many people are upgrading to 3D as compared to when it was first introduced years ago. It just took awhile for the technology to make it a better option then just 2D

Message 15 of 50 (1,718 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Oct 7, 2013

ToramaruTaiga wrote:

I do not see HOW the PS4 will play movies and Games in 3D because the PS4 will have AMD Graphics chipsets; and I just bought a large 3D computer monitor to play 3D games and films, but, because I have AMD graphics cards, it will not allow 3D to play; as the Asus monitor only supports NVidia 3D graphics.

So; how will those of us with different monitors be able to play on a PS4 if NVidia will not let AMD develop hardware which can use its 3D system?

Will there be two versions oft eh PS4 to suit the two main types of 3D TV`s and monitors?

Who REALLY Knows. 

They already kept it a bit of a secret before  I just spent over $450 on a 3D monitor that I cannot use in 3D with my new build PC.

No there will not be two versions. You people need to calm down. The PS4 is going to play 3D movies your concerned over nothing.

Message 16 of 50 (1,717 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Oct 7, 2013
I bought the 50 inch variation of the same TV and took it back 2 days later. I couldn't take the delay from controller to screen, especially when playing Black Ops 2. I had to jack my controller sensitivity up 3 spots to compensate for the input lag. And that was with Game mode picture settings.
Message 17 of 50 (1,713 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4062 posts

Oct 7, 2013

ToramaruTaiga wrote:

That's totally differerent from a computer setup. The PS3 can play games and movies in 3D to any 3D monitor/tv. PS4 should have no problem outputting to any TV/Monitor.

Gaming on a PC to the same monitor/tv is a different animal. Like my desktop has nvidia graphics and I can watch movies in 3D on my PC but not play any games without tricking it. But it's only because of silly rules nvidia employs through drivers to control things.

That Asus monitor is perfect for the PC I built.  FWIW I have a PlayStation 3D Display.

Message 18 of 50 (1,706 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 8, 2013

I notice peoiple are dodging the issue that AMD are developing/producing/supplying the graphics chipsets for the PS4 (and X-One) and AMD DO NOT SUPPORT 3D for NVIDIA MONITORS (NVidia won`t let them).

Nowhere on the internet/news has anobody from AMD NOR NVidia ever said that AMD can develop System hardware which can use the NVidia 3D Monitor facility in full HD.

We are only being given PARTIAL answers. Patents notwithstanding.

I would like to think you are right though; but EXPERIENCE dictates otherwise.

I bought Betamax (Better than VHS).

I bought HD/DVD (better than Blu-Ray)

Etcetera.

Smiley Frustrated

Message 19 of 50 (1,682 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4454 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2013

ToramaruTaiga wrote:

I notice peoiple are dodging the issue that AMD are developing/producing/supplying the graphics chipsets for the PS4 (and X-One) and AMD DO NOT SUPPORT 3D for NVIDIA MONITORS (NVidia won`t let them).

Nowhere on the internet/news has anobody from AMD NOR NVidia ever said that AMD can develop System hardware which can use the NVidia 3D Monitor facility in full HD.

We are only being given PARTIAL answers. Patents notwithstanding.

I would like to think you are right though; but EXPERIENCE dictates otherwise.

I bought Betamax (Better than VHS).

I bought HD/DVD (better than Blu-Ray)

Etcetera.

Smiley Frustrated

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/Pages/hd3d.aspx

AMD does have and support 3D, please don't spread FUD

edit: just because your monitor doesn't support it doesn't  mean AMD is lacking 3D. I have a amd 6670 and I can play games and movies just fine on my Vizio 3D tv

Message 20 of 50 (1,680 Views)