Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Re: PS4 - Does it play 3D Blu Ray ?

Oct 25, 2013

Nope.

It cant even play DVD's or CD's.

There is a day one patch to allow Blu-ray and DVD though.

How funny is it that people without internet will not be able to watch movies on their PS4!?!?!?!?

What is going on with Sony?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:
"Of course you can. You can do this with the PS3 and the PS4 would not be taking steps back."

Smiley Sad Smiley Happy

Vertigomega wrote:
Being angry that your gaming console focuses on gaming is kind of like being mad that your microwave focuses too much on warming up your food.
But the new model removed the light bulb and timer from the microwave, so now you never know when the foods done, so ends up burnt a lot or undercooked.
Message 41 of 50 (3,050 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11699 posts

Oct 25, 2013
Message 42 of 50 (3,049 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 6, 2013

All 3D TV sets use a standerd introdued with HDMI 1.4 called the Frame pack 3D format which sends both the right and left eye images through HDMI packed into each Frame , All modern  3D TV sets must support this standerd rather they use active active or passive

glasses , or even "lenticuler" displays with no glasses at all which require the user hold there head in a certan spot

, The Tv processes the Packed image containing both left and right eye images , stacked over each other, into two seperate

images usuly displayed "sequentualy" , so  the display shows the left eye, (glasses opticly block the right eye from seeing it)

then the right (glasses opticaly block the left eye)

If its a passive display it has a means of polarazing the light diffrently, for each eye most cinemas use this technoligy it makes the glasses

inexpensive to the point they can be thrown in the recycle bin  

Many tvs that do this are forced to operate at half detail (720 p) as apposed to (1080 p) because they use each alternating verical collum

behind a switchable polarazing filter , in this case its posable to display both left and right eye images at the same time but in lower detail

some find this easer to view as there is no sequancal shuttering required on active displays I find a noticabe diffrence in image detail

with some lines displayed in a jagged manor.

With Active displays , the images are sequenaly displayed at full 1080 p , left , right . left with the active LCD shutter glasses "synced" to the TV through infared beam , or in most modern Tv's RF signal (usuly bluetooth)

Nvida"s 3D vision Pc 3D system uses displays capable of 120 hrz or faster and has been around since CRT moniters where comon it normaly uses a high speed dual Chanel DVI link or equivlent (display port digital video link)  it does not  frame pack both images

together , so the link PC's Graphic Card and link to monitor must be very fast and low latency this standred is not suported by the

"HDMI 3D TV standred" ,

On the question on if the "AMD" Graphics processer can support the "HDMI frame pack standred"  if it can play a 3D bluray

film (and I am told the PS4 can play 3D Blueray with its day one update) it can easly play 3D games , probbly better the the ps3

as its graphics hardware can render much faster, then it becomes a case of will developers release 3D games for PS4

they will if players demand it .

If people are intrested in how HDMI 1.4 3D frame packing "works" simplly do a web search on that topic ,

Other notes of intrest might be "4k" video and displays for the future of ultra HD. and Cinema projection.

Sony makes 4K cinema and home projection equipment with astounding image quality but 4K gaming would require an

a big leap in computing and high speed rendering technoligy that would likly be well out of the price range people could afford at this time. even the highest end Pc GPU haardwares costing in excess of a $ 1000 would have real difficulty rendering a frame rate fast enougth to make a game playable.     

Message 43 of 50 (2,894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Nov 17, 2013
Just tryed it so far it does not work
Message 44 of 50 (2,561 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
28 posts

Nov 17, 2013
I enjoy the heck out of my 3D bluray movies, i have a ton of them really is immersive with my LG soundbar.

I hope its patched in a bit later on as i would love my ps4 to play 3D and not have to to keep switching to ps3, but for not its fine.

As for video support i plug my external hard drive into my tv to watch video/view pictures so its not a bother to me.
Message 45 of 50 (2,558 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 23, 2014

We just got the Samsung LED TV with 3D glasses. We hooked up the PS4 and tried to play a 3D disc and the PS4 will not play it. It says that we must hook up a 3D Blue Ray player to the PS4. Not sure why everyone else is saying that it plays 3D because mine doesn't.

Message 46 of 50 (1,599 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 27, 2014
So ok it's pretty much a given then that the ps4 plays 3D movies and games, however is it passive or active 3D capable? I have an active Panasonic Viera smart 3D TV and BluRay player and active 3D glasses but which version does the ps4 support... One problem with passive 3D is our daughter can't/won't watch passive 3D because it messes with her eyes and gives her headaches whereas active 3D she's just fine, and we've been planning on buying her a 3D TV and 3D BluRay and 3D glasses for her room but it has to be active or she won't be able to use and enjoy it and she wanted the new ps4 for Christmas so we got it for her not even thinking about the 3D capabilities so now I need to know if we still need to buy her a active 3D setup on top the ps4 system? We definitely prefer active 3D because of the incredible depth and picture quality we see on our Viera smart 3D TV and won't even consider passive now... Anyway is it passive or active 3D? It would be nice if active but if not you can get a really good 3D BluRay player for less then $200.00 so anyone know the answer here?

BC
Message 47 of 50 (1,565 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 27, 2014
Actually your half right, a passive 1080 TV (and first of all the lines are not vertical but horizontal) so with a passive TV and glasses your left eye sees the even lines, such as 2, 4, 6, 8.... Ect... And your right eye sees the odd lines such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 9... Or the other way around? And so on and this is done by one lens blocking either odd numbered lines and the other blocking even numbered lines, so at 1080 each eye is only seeing 540 TV lines 540+540=1080 so your only getting half resolution, at 720 resolution your seeing 360 lines per eye, And again this is accomplished by using different shades for each of the lenses, it's subtle on some and more noticeable on other glasses but if you hold them up to the light you can see one lens is darker then the other.... A lot of people complain about problems with passive TV sets and movie theaters, mostly eye strain or a motion sickness type feeling to as extreme as passing out or throwing up or smaller complaints like dizzy feeling or a headache... I haven't heard as many complain about active 3D and TV sets because of the way it works is much different then passive sets...

With active your seeing full 1080 lines and the glasses do the work because active glasses use two small LCD type lenses and they alternate opening and closing, some call them shutters, so when left screen or lens is closed or blacked out, then the right screen or lens is open and they alternate very quickly so you get a very deep clear 3D image that's why active glasses are so expensive compared to passive because they run off batteries, some use replaceable button cell batteries and some use rechargeable batteries, our Viera TV glasses use rechargeable batteries and the glasses are charged by plugging in USB cables from the glasses to our TV through four USB ports on the back left side of the TV and a 3 minute charge will give you roughly 3 hours of movie watching and a full 20 to 30 minute charge will give us 30 hours or more of 3D movie watching, and even with the TV being LED/LCD it's a only a little over 1/2 inch but less then 3/4 inch thin from front to back and it's the best 3D and 2D image over seen yet.. So you had the right concept but the lines are Horizonte and not vertical and each eye only sees every other TV line... Another thing that also helps or hurts the 3D image is the refresh rate, a 60hz TV won't give as good quality as a 120hz TV, same with a 120hz TV won't be as clear as a 240hz tv, I think ours is 400hz or 440hz refresh rate? Can't remember which? Anyway there's not a lot more to it then that but it's the basic way they work

BC

Message 48 of 50 (1,562 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Feb 28, 2014

thatoneperson109 wrote:
So ok it's pretty much a given then that the ps4 plays 3D movies and games, however is it passive or active 3D capable? I have an active Panasonic Viera smart 3D TV and BluRay player and active 3D glasses but which version does the ps4 support... One problem with passive 3D is our daughter can't/won't watch passive 3D because it messes with her eyes and gives her headaches whereas active 3D she's just fine, and we've been planning on buying her a 3D TV and 3D BluRay and 3D glasses for her room but it has to be active or she won't be able to use and enjoy it and she wanted the new ps4 for Christmas so we got it for her not even thinking about the 3D capabilities so now I need to know if we still need to buy her a active 3D setup on top the ps4 system? We definitely prefer active 3D because of the incredible depth and picture quality we see on our Viera smart 3D TV and won't even consider passive now... Anyway is it passive or active 3D? It would be nice if active but if not you can get a really good 3D BluRay player for less then $200.00 so anyone know the answer here?

BC

It is the exact same as far as the 3D output from the PS4 goes.

Your tv decodes the standard 3D output to what-ever format your tv is.

Now if you have an autostereoscopic display I believe that requires a special 3D format, but I can be sure on this one.

So dont worry about it.  All you need to know is if your tv accepts an HDMI 1.4a 3D signal, which is a standard now and all 3DTV's must conform to this standard.

Or is your tv like 5-6 yrs old?

If your tv uses checkerboard 3D, then you need a converter.  Checkerboard 3D didnt make the cut when they decided on the HDMI1.4a standard for 3D.

My tv uses checkerboard so I had to buy a converter to use with my PS3.

Anyways PS4 doesnt play any 3D Blurays at all, but if/when it does it will conform to the HDMI1.4a standard.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 49 of 50 (1,553 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Feb 28, 2014

thatoneperson109 wrote:
Actually your half right, a passive 1080 TV (and first of all the lines are not vertical but horizontal) so with a passive TV and glasses your left eye sees the even lines, such as 2, 4, 6, 8.... Ect... And your right eye sees the odd lines such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 9... Or the other way around? And so on and this is done by one lens blocking either odd numbered lines and the other blocking even numbered lines, so at 1080 each eye is only seeing 540 TV lines 540+540=1080 so your only getting half resolution, at 720 resolution your seeing 360 lines per eye, And again this is accomplished by using different shades for each of the lenses, it's subtle on some and more noticeable on other glasses but if you hold them up to the light you can see one lens is darker then the other.... A lot of people complain about problems with passive TV sets and movie theaters, mostly eye strain or a motion sickness type feeling to as extreme as passing out or throwing up or smaller complaints like dizzy feeling or a headache... I haven't heard as many complain about active 3D and TV sets because of the way it works is much different then passive sets...

With active your seeing full 1080 lines and the glasses do the work because active glasses use two small LCD type lenses and they alternate opening and closing, some call them shutters, so when left screen or lens is closed or blacked out, then the right screen or lens is open and they alternate very quickly so you get a very deep clear 3D image that's why active glasses are so expensive compared to passive because they run off batteries, some use replaceable button cell batteries and some use rechargeable batteries, our Viera TV glasses use rechargeable batteries and the glasses are charged by plugging in USB cables from the glasses to our TV through four USB ports on the back left side of the TV and a 3 minute charge will give you roughly 3 hours of movie watching and a full 20 to 30 minute charge will give us 30 hours or more of 3D movie watching, and even with the TV being LED/LCD it's a only a little over 1/2 inch but less then 3/4 inch thin from front to back and it's the best 3D and 2D image over seen yet.. So you had the right concept but the lines are Horizonte and not vertical and each eye only sees every other TV line... Another thing that also helps or hurts the 3D image is the refresh rate, a 60hz TV won't give as good quality as a 120hz TV, same with a 120hz TV won't be as clear as a 240hz tv, I think ours is 400hz or 440hz refresh rate? Can't remember which? Anyway there's not a lot more to it then that but it's the basic way they work

BC

Ok so actually lots of people get sick from active and can handle passive better, lots of factors though.

Essentially passive is more smooth, there is no flicker at all, but you are basically watchin in interlaced format.

The glasses arent tinted, they are polarized.  It effects what type of light can get through.  Lots of different ways to polarize.

But its basically taking the way light moves and using that to block every second line from each eye. (alternatiing)

If you sit very close to a large passive screen you can see every second line is black.  Sit farther back and you dont notice this.

I believe that is why some people get sick from passive, but I cant be sure.  I actually prefer passive at the correct distance.

Active uses shutter glases and no matter how fast you can kinda tell they are flashing.  

This depends on screen contrast/brightness/black level/type of glasses/etc.

This flicker is why people get sick uses active glasses.

Your 3d TV is no doubt 120hz.  Plasma has fake refresh rates of 400+ hz.  Most LCD's that say 240hz are actually 120hz.

The 480hz LCD tv's are actually 240hz or 120hz with backlight scanning/etc.

There are only a few true 240hz panels used in 3D tv's.  Last i checked only Samsung made them, I think.

Best 3D is on a Plasma or DLP, but some of the LCD tv's are getting a lot better and are reducing the ghosting/cross talk/etc.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 50 of 50 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes