Nov 09 2013
By: MrBuri First Son 5 posts

PS4 Disc Games Cached to hard drive

11 replies 481 views Edited Nov 9, 2013

"Yes, all PS4 Blu-ray Disc games must be cached to the hard drive to ensure a smooth gaming experience."

I've seen a few games hard drive space requirements and to me it seems 25-50GB is about what most games will require.  So for sake of argument average that to 37.5GB and you might get to hold 13 gameson the original hard drive depending on system data storage space needed.  Does anyone know yet if game data and save data will be stored separately from the disc data?  I would imagine so if you can upload it to the cloud but then you still have to recache the disc when you want to play that game again so time later.  Maybe there will be a hard drive bay you can run cables through easily to attach the larger sized 3.5" hard drives, otherwise I'm not to keen on this aspect of 1st generation PS4.

Message 1 of 12 (481 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11492 posts

Re: PS4 Disc Games Cached to hard drive

Nov 9, 2013
The ps4 allows you to change the internal hard drive as long as the drive is a 2.5" drive...

Sea gate just announced a 2.0tb 2.5" drive
>

Message 2 of 12 (428 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Nov 9, 2013
There is something I dont understand fully.

Okay do I have to install into my HDD 30 to 50 GB even if I have the disc? I am talking about physical copies NO digital copies.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 3 of 12 (420 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14139 posts

Nov 9, 2013

darkforcegod wrote:

Okay do I have to install into my HDD 30 to 50 GB even if I have the disc? I am talking about physical copies NO digital copies.

Some people are saying that the 50GB or whatever is a temporary install until the you stop using the game, it will then auto delete.

Some are also saying that it stays there. Truth actually is we'll find out after the 15th.

Message 4 of 12 (417 Views)
Lombax Warrior
127 posts

Nov 9, 2013

im not sure. i didnt fully read into it, but i already have killzone and the back says 42 GB just like the ps3 games do when they have to install. so idk if it stays or if it deletes automatically. but i particularly would like to not have to reinstall everytime i put the game in... not sayin that is how it works. but the cache thing makes it sound that way

Message 5 of 12 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14139 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2013

Dimitry03 wrote:

im not sure. i didnt fully read into it, but i already have killzone and the back says 42 GB just like the ps3 games do when they have to install. so idk if it stays or if it deletes automatically. but i particularly would like to not have to reinstall everytime i put the game in... not sayin that is how it works. but the cache thing makes it sound that way

Isn't it better to resinatll everytime than to run out of space after 10 games?

if it works like that though all games are playable while installing so you don't even know it's installing.

Message 6 of 12 (394 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28544 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 9, 2013

I think what we have to also remember is that these are early games in the cycle. As development continues, I'm sure programmers are going to find ways to "cheat", and find more efficient ways to use the space. And games that span both consoles aren't going to be quite this large.

Message 7 of 12 (381 Views)
Fender Bender
3551 posts

Nov 9, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

darkforcegod wrote:

Some people are saying that the 50GB or whatever is a temporary install until the you stop using the game, it will then auto delete.

Some are also saying that it stays there. Truth actually is we'll find out after the 15th.

This is correct. Once you back out of the game, the space is free again. If all of your games are disc based games except for the indies you buy through the PSN, 500gb will be more than enough space.

Message 8 of 12 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3602 posts

Nov 9, 2013

Say you play 2-3 disk games a day. That much data installed and removed is sure to cause HD problems and data corruption bad sectors. Its going to need some heavy utility to keep the drive healthy. I dont think auto uninstall is a good option.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
My PS4 Games of 2016: Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4 SE, No Man's Sky SE. Also: PlayStation VR
Message 9 of 12 (360 Views)
Sackboy
483 posts

Nov 9, 2013

From what I read it's basicaly temapry as you play that certain game.  If you have 50GB left in the HDD and buy two games each having 35GB you can play both cause you get the space back when your done playing the game.  

Message 10 of 12 (337 Views)
0 Likes