Apr 30 2013
By: PlasmidFusion First Son 2 posts

PS4 Backwards compatibility

18 replies 259 views Edited Apr 30, 2013

I've heard alot of rumors and sounds like backwards compatibility is being tossed.... but I am aware that you are able to buy PS2 and PS games from the store and with new PS4 maybe you'll be able to buy PS3 digital games too; but one great thing that would be great if you can't put the disc reader in for backwards compatibility, is just make it so when you put in a PS, PS2 or PS3 game into PS4 it will recognize you already own that game so when you go into the store, it allows you to download it for free rather than paying for it all over again. Maybe that still requires the disc reader thing or whatever which you dont want to add into PS4 or maybe its something else that really wont take up space and you could add into it. It would be a wonderful feature allowing us consumers to not create stacks of consoles that may eventually not be played. I hope you read this and take this idea into consideration.

Message 1 of 19 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: PS4 Backwards compatibility

Apr 30, 2013

I don’t think Sony checks these forums.

That would be cool but I doubt that would happen.

Message 2 of 19 (254 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
15669 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Welcome to the forums, PlasmidFusion.

The issue is always cost.  Not sure how many consumers would be willing to pay more for such a feature, but will have to balance that against the costs of accessing digital PS3 games that they already had the physical disk.

We PS3 users may find out more in June when E3 happens.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 3 of 19 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 30, 2013

I forgot, welcome to PSN, PlasmidFusion! Smiley Happy

Maybe Sony will give us more details at E3.

Message 4 of 19 (234 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Hopefully Sony finds a way so I can play my psn downloads without having to pay for them again I have faith in sony!

Message 5 of 19 (227 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11152 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

ichigo334 wrote:

Hopefully Sony finds a way so I can play my psn downloads without having to pay for them again I have faith in sony!

It doesn't matter how the games are delivered.  The lack of B/C in the PS4 will have nothing to do with the Blu-ray drive.  It won't be able to play PS3 games, because it does not have the PS3 hardware in it, specifically the Cell processor.  Over 90% of PS3 games use Cell features, most of which cannot be emulated by any other processor.

If you want to continue playing PS3 games, it would be best to keep your PS3.  It will not magically explode if you buy a PS4.

Message 6 of 19 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Sony did say they might allow people to transfer their digital downloads to the PS4 where they can be played through Gaikai but they have not decided yet. 

Message 7 of 19 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15795 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Backwards compatibilty using the hardware will not be in the PS4. That's true. But Sony will have something called PS cloud where you can access all old Playstation games on your PS4 and Vita. How this will work and at what cost, we still don't know. Sony may explain this better at E3. So, at this point it maybe a good idea just to hold on to your PS3. You know, just in case you still have PS3 games you need to finish.

Multisystem owner. PlayStation owner since 2000. Inaugural PS Plus member:Legendary status. Former PS forum MVP with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Message 8 of 19 (206 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 1, 2013

well hopefully they through the ps cloud to access those games through PS4, I hope there will be a way for you to confirm you have bought those games already so it allows you to just download it for free. cause feel its a bit **bleep** and money hungry from them if they make you pay for a game again you've owned for 8+ years for old console

Message 9 of 19 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

May 1, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

ichigo334 wrote:

It doesn't matter how the games are delivered.  The lack of B/C in the PS4 will have nothing to do with the Blu-ray drive.  It won't be able to play PS3 games, because it does not have the PS3 hardware in it, specifically the Cell processor.  Over 90% of PS3 games use Cell features, most of which cannot be emulated by any other processor.

If you want to continue playing PS3 games, it would be best to keep your PS3.  It will not magically explode if you buy a PS4.

It will not magically explode, but it will definitly magically YLOD on you. smh

Message 10 of 19 (186 Views)
0 Likes