Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 18 2012
By: Series5Ranger First Son 6 posts

PS4 Backward Compatibility idea

6 replies 393 views Edited Oct 18, 2012

Just throwing this out there because "Backward Compatibility" seems to be such a problem to do.

How about making the PS4 with Expansion Port / Module Slots on it?

Then we can buy the Backward Compatible mods for the system as a separate item, Keeps the price of the main system down and we choose the backward compatibility we want / need .

All the system would need to do is detect which modules are installed and then gives you a menu option to boot into the PS2 OS / PS3 OS or the PS4, depending on which are installed in the system.  This eliminates a lot of the issues of trying to shoehorn the PS4 into running emulated software compatibility.

The only drawback would obviously be the price of said expansion modules, and how many people would actually want them (I would which is why I'm suggesting it, because I don't want 3 + consoles under my TV, when I could only need one.)

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (393 Views)
VP of Gaming
28658 posts

Re: PS4 Backward Compatibility idea

Oct 18, 2012

Series5Ranger wrote:

Just throwing this out there because "Backward Compatibility" seems to be such a problem to do.

Then we can buy the Backward Compatible mods for the system as a separate item, Keeps the price of the main system down and we choose the backward compatibility we want / need .

All the system would need to do is detect which modules are installed and then gives you a menu option to boot into the PS2 OS / PS3 OS or the PS4, depending on which are installed in the system.  This eliminates a lot of the issues of trying to shoehorn the PS4 into running emulated software compatibility.

The only drawback would obviously be the price of said expansion modules, and how many people would actually want them (I would which is why I'm suggesting it, because I don't want 3 + consoles under my TV, when I could only need one.)

It's not a feature that interests me, but this highlighted part is exactly my concern.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (381 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2012

I remember an old Laserdisc player I used to have that could to this.

There was a module that you insert into it that can play Sega Genesis games, and it can also play Sega CD games right out the box

The Genesis module cost me something like $150.

The lasedisc player cost me $650......  

The player and modules are hard to find now, and they didnt sell well and they became discontinued after a few months

I can't make an opinion on this as to whether or not this is a good idea.....

But this does bring up the fact that Sony did create a patent on a similar device (in your case a module) a few years ago.

just google "sony files patent ps2 emulator"
http://exophase.com/18243/ps2-backwards-compatibility-device-patent-filed-by-sony-japan/

I think such a patent could be used on the PS4

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (377 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Series5Ranger wrote:

If the PS4 isn't capable of playing PS3 games on its own, as you suggested it would cost nearly the same to add the necessary hardware to make it BC, making this idea not very practical for many...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (369 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Series5Ranger wrote:

When buying my PS3, I took into account whether or not I wanted it to be backwards compatible for the PS2 games or not.  I finally decided on the 250 GB model without the backwards compatibility.  It was cheaper, and I could get more HD for less.  As well, I had heard the PS2 compatible versions had problems, (some generations), regarding overheating and burn outs, due to the required additional processing.

My system does have PS1 capabilities, but this only highlighted my disappointment with not parting with the plethora of PS1 games, I chose to hold onto.  I thought I would love to play some games until the end of time.  The simple truth is; once the games got older and new generations of games with better graphics and all around play were released, playing the older PS1 games became boring.  I now own a ton of PS1 coasters, with little to no value.

I sold off as many PS2 games as I could.  I still have my PS2, in order to play the remaining games someday.  Ultimately, I may even part with the system while I can still get at least $10 for it.  I cannot help but think, even my most beloved PS3 games will eventually end up in the same classification of my PS1 and PS2 games.

In the initial launch of a new system; it seems good to have that backwards compatibility, so in the absence of immediate titles you can still have some games worth playing.  Additionally, you could trade in your existing PS3, towards the new purchase.

I think the added cost of the additional firmware to support the backwards compatibility, as you have mentioned, would be substantial.  The possibility of flaws in the system would most likely increase as well, as they did with the PS3 and the PS2 compatibility.

I see that you have the jist of this, in your suggestion of external mods.  I think this is a good concept; but with the additional costs involved, why not just hold on to the old system?  You would have already paid for that, and there would be no additional detractors from the quality of the new PS4.  If you do have a PS3 that plays PS1 & PS2, then you need only hold on to that system.

Just some thoughts, feedback, and merely my opinion.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (364 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jan 28, 2013
The OP's idea sounds similar to mine that I posted awhile back. The only smart things for Sony to do are either have a space on the PS4 unit for an add-in card with a PS3 Cell & PS2 EE, or produce multiple SKUs, one cheaper that only plays PS4 and PS1, and a more expensive one that plays all PlayStation titles. My question is: where can I post this where someone from Sony will see it and take note?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (286 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 28, 2013

SuprSaiynMusashi wrote:
The OP's idea sounds similar to mine that I posted awhile back. The only smart things for Sony to do are either have a space on the PS4 unit for an add-in card with a PS3 Cell & PS2 EE, or produce multiple SKUs, one cheaper that only plays PS4 and PS1, and a more expensive one that plays all PlayStation titles. My question is: where can I post this where someone from Sony will see it and take note?

You can always try Blog.Share to submit your ideas. 

There might be an option to add in a PS3 Cell chip in the PS4, but I don't believe that PS2 BC is ever going to come back, especially now that PSN is selling PS2 classics on PSN and the PS3 remakes of all the popular PS2 games....

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (267 Views)