Nov 16 2011
By: Enos316 First Son 5 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 worked fine for 2 years, now won't connect wired or wireless(controller wonky too

8 replies 926 views Edited Nov 16, 2011

So my PS3 is one of the older, bigger models. But I purchased it brand new not too long ago. I began to notice that my controller would have issues connecting, but plugging it into the PS3 usually fixed that. Then it got to the point where I could only use the controller hard wired (I've tried the small reset button as well). I went to check for an update (to try and solve this issue) and noticed the PS3 wasn't getting out of my network.

The unit will not connect to my network wired or wireless. It connects hard wire into a switch which runs down into my router. My Xbox360, U-Verse, and HD-DVD player all connect fine on the switch. I get no link light on several different ports. I also tried plugging the PS3 directly into the switch up-link, no dice, not even a link light on that. Rebooted my U-Verse router, nothing.

I tried WiFi, which I use for my iPad, Wii, etc, and it won't connect on that either.

I tried to reformat the PS3 completely. Still the same connection problems, and the controller issue persists.

Anyone seen this? I've tried Google, but most answers are rebooting cable modems, not this 'no link light' thing.

Thanks for any help here.

tl;dr PS3 won't connect wired or wireless and controller is wonky as well.

Message 1 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: PS3 worked fine for 2 years, now won't connect wired or wireless(controller wonky too

Nov 16, 2011

It sounds like your PS3's Wifi/Bluetooth board has gone bad but needs to be replaced, since your controller isn't working properly. You can buy a replacement one pretty cheap on eBay, just make sure you buy the right version first.

You should also try hooking your PS3 directly to the U-verse router to see if that works at all, because I think it would be unlikely that the wired connection doesn't work too.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you can't get other wireless devices to work with your U-verse router too. I would suggest you call at&t and have them help you with your problem. They will probably end up having to replace it

Message 2 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: PS3 worked fine for 2 years, now won't connect wired or wireless(controller wonky too

Nov 17, 2011

Thanks for the info.  How hard is it to install this piece?  How do I determine the right part number?

Sorry for the confusion, the WiFi works fine with those other listed devices.  The PS3 does nto connect.

Message 3 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 17, 2011

You need to find out what PS3 model you have (e.g. 60GB/CECHA01) and look up to see if there is one available on eBay. As far as installation goes, it isn't too hard, but it does require a delicate hand because of the small ribbion cable and antenna connection.

To see what is involved in taking an older PS3 apart, there are some videos and links though my signature link below...

Message 4 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 21, 2011

Ok, so I believe I have a CECHL01.  I opened it up to see what the board would look like so I could match it up on Ebay, check out the pic:

full-prt.png

It looks like this one might not have a seperate board?  I see a WiFi antenna attached to this mobo up top.  Here's a zoom in.

2011-11-21_085330.png

What do you think?  Is it under the mobo?  I removed the blu ray drive and power supply.

Message 5 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 25, 2011

Bump.  Looking for any help I can get here.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 25, 2011

Your model has the Bluetooth/Wifi board built into the main motherboard, unless there is somthing wrong with that atenna I don't think there is anything you can do.

Here is  a link to replacement antennas on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=PS3+antenna&_sacat=0&_odkw=CECHL01+antenna&_osacat=0&_trksid=p32...

Message 7 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 25, 2011

Thanks for your help Dolphin.  I think I am going to have to break down and buy a new Slim.  But I appreciate your responses.

Message 8 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 25, 2011

Today is a great time to pick one up, since the new 160GB are selling for $200 today in the USA...

Message 9 of 9 (926 Views)
0 Likes