May 05 2010
By: SharkyRivethead Monster Hunter 40 posts

PS3 won't connect to wireless router...=(

6 replies 1551 views Edited May 5, 2010

For no reason that I can think of, my PS3 won't connect to my router. Under Network Settings/Settings Connection Status List, it showed everything was fine and that I was connected. But it would not log into the PSN. I tried re setting the connection through the PS3. Did a scan and my router showed up w/ a 100% signal but after putting in my security password it would timed out and that it may be the wrong password.

I checked my router settingsand all is good. Even unplugged it and re booted it. All other systems still work, ie, another PS3 and a lap top as well.  I did a hardline connection just to see if it would work, and it does. Now it won't let me do anything but hardline.

I was going to try one last ditch effort by turning off the security on the router and see if it would let the PS3 in.  Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 7 (1,551 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: PS3 won't connect to wireless router...=(

May 5, 2010

Have you tried the latest firmware for your router? Try a different wireless channel that's less crowded too. Use the easy configuration settings in the PS3 Network Settings.

Message 2 of 7 (1,551 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

May 5, 2010

I tried the easy config. it's after i put the security password that things go weird. I have a 120 slim in the other room that logs in just fine. Could it be that there is something wrong with with the wifi card? It's strange that it can scan and locate my router, even show that everything is good, but it won't log  in.

Message 3 of 7 (1,551 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

May 6, 2010
It's possible that your PS3 is in a dead spot. Does it connect if you swap it with the Slim in the other room?

Again, look for the latest firmware update. They provide bug fixes, improved performance and feature additions. If you need help with finding the update, then provide the router's model and version number.
Message 4 of 7 (1,551 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

May 6, 2010

My wife is really good at this stuff. I'll have her take a look. I would not think it's in a dead spot because it locates my router and shows a signal strength of 97 to 100%.  It just keeps timing out when it tries to connect after putting in the WEP password. I will relocate my PS3 and see if this help, even though now it's no more than 15 feet away. Thanks for your help and I will let you know what happens.

Message 5 of 7 (1,551 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
4 posts

Oct 27, 2012
The same thing is happening with my ps3 right now how do I fix it? I need to play games!!!!
Message 6 of 7 (1,496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

Oct 29, 2012

Are you sure your password is correctly in putted? ( caSe Sensitive )  if you are sure that you have put it in correctly and it says your password is still wrong, then maybe your router has a MAC filter blocking your system. If your lazy just reset your router via the small reset button on the router and just redo the passwordencryption type.

Message 7 of 7 (1,473 Views)
0 Likes