Jun 05 2013
By: Phillyblunz Umbrella Scientist 12347 posts

PS3 vs PS4, which has more TFLOPS?

4 replies 9640 views Edited Jun 5, 2013

PS3 was stated by Sony to sport a whopping 2.1TFLOPS, 1.8 of which was the RSX.

PS4 is stated by Sony to sport a measley 2TFLOPS, 1.84 of which is the GPU.

Now this is pure number crunching ability not to be confused with a direct ability to perform better at all tasks.

But the higher numbers cant hurt can they?    It almost seems like they reduced the power of the CPU very slightly, and very slightly increased the power of the GPU.

I guess what I'm getting at is it seems the real upgrade from PS3 to PS4 is the 16x increase in RAM, plus doubling its speed.

Is the PS4 just a PS3 with masive amounts of RAM, for dummies (of course because of the move to X86 so the laziest of lazy inept developers could actually use it, LOL)

I want to know how others see this, and maybe explain how this is any different to just adding more fast RAM to PS3, and teaching the stupidest of devs how to program like big boys, LOL.

This is just for fun, but technical explanations are welcomed!!

Be nice too!

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 1 of 5 (9,640 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13578 posts

Re: PS3 vs PS4, which has more TFLOPS?

[ Edited ]
Jun 5, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

PS3 was stated by Sony to sport a whopping 2.1TFLOPS, 1.8 of which was the RSX.

PS4 is stated by Sony to sport a measley 2TFLOPS, 1.84 of which is the GPU.

Now this is pure number crunching ability not to be confused with a direct ability to perform better at all tasks.

But the higher numbers cant hurt can they?    It almost seems like they reduced the power of the CPU very slightly, and very slightly increased the power of the GPU.

I guess what I'm getting at is it seems the real upgrade from PS3 to PS4 is the 16x increase in RAM, plus doubling its speed.

Is the PS4 just a PS3 with masive amounts of RAM, for dummies (of course because of the move to X86 so the laziest of lazy inept developers could actually use it, LOL)

I want to know how others see this, and maybe explain how this is any different to just adding more fast RAM to PS3, and teaching the stupidest of devs how to program like big boys, LOL.

This is just for fun, but technical explanations are welcomed!!

Be nice too!

Yeah, um, that was complete BS. it didn't have that many.

The PS3's GPU is reportedly only around 200-400 GFLOPS.

The PS4's 1.84 TFLOPS are all GPU.

So the GPU is essentially, 7-10x stronger.

And please explain where it says the 2 TFLOPS are for CPU and GPU. Most sites are saying that "The GPU provides nearly 2TFLOPS by itself". Nowhere have I seen that the total TFLOPS count is only 2.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 5 (9,635 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 5, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

And please explain where it says the 2 TFLOPS are for CPU and GPU. Most sites are saying that "The GPU provides nearly 2TFLOPS by itself". Nowhere have I seen that the total TFLOPS count is only 2.

I went and double checked and I think the 200GFLOPS number for the CPU was given by a random poster in the comments section, so I think I mistakenly placed that in my confirmed folder.

I may have to retract that part, but are you saying the PS3 specs were a lie, Sony would never tell a fib would they.....

That would be like them saying the PS3 was capable of dual 1080p output  gaming, or that we could activate 5 consoles per account, or that you could run linux on a ps3, its unheard of....

Cheers.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 3 of 5 (9,617 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10911 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 6, 2013

At first glance, my response was 'Lebron James', but then I actually READ the question...

All you need to know right now is that the PS4 will be the most powerful gaming console ever created.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 was measured in M/GFLOPS.

Message 4 of 5 (9,598 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
71 posts

Jun 6, 2013
hey lay off lebron we getting that ring !

ps3 graphics compare to 360 its a huge difference.
Message 5 of 5 (9,585 Views)
0 Likes