Compare the last few games on the PS2 to where the PS3 was about a year later after its launch. Expect the same type of thing. The realism is going to be a big factor. Such as instead of a tree waving in the breeze you will be able to see individual branches moving in different directions VS the whole tree moving in the same movement. Does not seem like a big deal until you see all kinds of things like this happening on screen and it just adds so much more the the realism game experience.
What is the real difference between games that are available on both the PS3 and PS4? Are the differences really that big if they are the same game on different consoles?
I'll give you one Game for example...
During a conference held by Nvidia in Montreal we learned further details on the differences we’ll see in Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag between the next generation versions (including PC) and the versions on previous generation consoles, introduced by Associate Producer Sylvain Trottier
According to the presenter all the technology has been created on PC first and then ported to the consoles, and next generation versions will include the following visual goodies:
- Dynamic foliage (foliage will also be far denser and rendered at a longer distance).
- Rain/Wet Surfaces with 3D rain and particles independently lit. Puddles will be created as it rains. Rain will move with the wind.
- Parallax Occlusion mapping will make objects smoother.
- Screen Space Reflections with full reflections on surfaces, like the ocean.
- Volumetric Fog with fog rendered through locations, impacted by lighting.
- Lighted particles with smoke from cannon fire lit up over distance, such as ships battling at night.
- High Resolution textures.
- HBAO ambient occlusion.
- Improved shadows.
- Motion blur, depth of field, lens flares, god rays, etc.
Proof is in the pudding, lets see some screens!
Foliage – old gen
Foliage – next gen
Rain – old gen
Rain – next gen
Reflections – old gen
Reflections – next gen
Shadows – old gen
Improved Shadows – next gen
Digital Foundry will soon be HAPPY to let you know the differences between current and next gen versions of titles, it's going to upset a few current gen owners here and on the web though (expect "Lazy Developers" to be a norm word soon despite the obvious power differences).
NEW? Read First! | Everything About PS4 Pro So Far | PlayStation VR : Everything About it so Far | [GUIDE] Improve Your DS4 Battery Life | [Tutorial] Swap Stock HD & Install New One in PS4 | My PlayStation Gold Headsets Review | INFO Threads : What I've Helped With and Create |