Sep 22 2011
By: Fiero_SS First Son 2 posts

PS3 slim just shuts off, light doesn't do anything strange.

6 replies 10506 views Edited Sep 22, 2011

I bought my slim about late '09, early '10. Never had a problem till now, similiar to other random shut down stories I've seen. My shut downs have occured 5 times with 3 different games (Shift 2, F1 2010, and Wipeout HD played off the hard drive). Works fine for around 20 - 30 minutes of normal playing then just shuts off with no warning; lights beeps or otherwise. Its like I hit the 'shut down system option' without actually doing it. After the system shuts down, I've got no light at all and the system won't respond to any command (console power button, PS button on controllers, eject button, etc.). It will stay like this until I unplug it and wait a few seconds and plug it back in. From what I understand, its either overheating or the powersupply is faulty. I don't really remember how it sounded when I first got it but it seems like its running almost silently which leads me to believe the cooling fans aren't working. What is my best course of action to take in this scenario? How long is the factory warranty; am I still covered? I wouldn't mind trying my own fix but I'd rather not mess up my PS3 by jacking around with it. Thanks in advance for any help

-Tim

Message 1 of 7 (10,506 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Re: PS3 slim just shuts off, light doesn't do anything strange.

Sep 22, 2011

If it's overheating you should get a message on screen, then it will shut down with a blinking red light. Your problem sounds more like a power issue. Bad PSU, cable, connector? Hard to say, but power rather than heat would be my guess.

Factory warranty is 1 year. If you do send it out for service, remember to de-activate it from your account first.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 2 of 7 (10,506 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Ok, that makes sense. I found this video online about a possible fix with a lot of people saying that it works. It looks simple enough but I don't want to void any kind of factory service by doing this. Of course, since its out of warranty anyway, is there really any chance of Sony helping me out? Should I try the video's steps?

-Tim

Oops, forgot to post video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ENdoxIVshM

or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7OwDB7l21w&feature=related

Message 3 of 7 (10,506 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I don't know if Im gonna have to send it in to sony. Im pretty sure i will, because i cant hear the cooling fans so im going to have to send it in.

Message 4 of 7 (9,347 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Oct 22, 2012
This happened to me as well. I'm past my warranty though.
Message 5 of 7 (9,329 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Oct 22, 2012

i dont know how it is in the states but in the UK any electrical product sold has a 5year warranty by law. so all the 4 5 year extended warranties you get in the shop are just a con

Message 6 of 7 (9,319 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 19, 2013

I had this problem too, and replaced the power supply. That didn't work. Someone also said its the HDD. Anything else?

This is an old thread, it will be closed now Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7 (3,261 Views)
0 Likes