Jul 02 2012
By: coopertigers First Son 5 posts

PS3 slim Blu ray issue

11 replies 257 views Edited Jul 2, 2012

My ps3 slim will play everything but blu-ray movies. After the movie is inserted it spins faster and slower a few times then the drive makes a sound like it is trying to eject the disc but doesn't when i push the eject button the disc ejects with no issues. the ps3 never recognizes what the disc is nor does it send up any type of error codeI have tried multiple discs, fixing corrupted system files, having it sit on both sides and flat but nothing will work please help

Message 1 of 12 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Re: PS3 slim Blu ray issue

Jul 2, 2012
Hello, welcome to the forums. How long have you had your PS3? The disc drive may not regonize the blu-ray properly or the lens may be dirty.
Message 2 of 12 (255 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 2, 2012

I'm having the same problem on my 120gb slim.  Do your games work?

Message 3 of 12 (251 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 2, 2012
The ps3 is about 9 months old but out of warranty. Games work fine with no problems whatsoever. A friend though maybe the spindle couldn't spin the larger Blu ray movie disc fast enough.
Message 4 of 12 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jul 3, 2012

coopertigers wrote:
The ps3 is about 9 months old but out of warranty. Games work fine with no problems whatsoever. A friend though maybe the spindle couldn't spin the larger Blu ray movie disc fast enough.
How is your PS3 9months old but out of warranty? did you buy it used? did you break the warranty seal?
Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 12 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Jul 3, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

coopertigers wrote:
How is your PS3 9months old but out of warranty? did you buy it used? did you break the warranty seal?

I think if it was used the previous owner must have worn out the blu-ray reader possibly.  If you can send it somewhere to have it checked before you do something it might save you money on repairing the wrong thing.  You could repair it yourself ,but you have to have experience in that skill of electronics as you run the risk of breaking it.  

Message 6 of 12 (233 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 3, 2012

If it is problam with the blu ray lens then why do the blu ray games still work?

Message 7 of 12 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 3, 2012

My bad, I misread your problem.  You might have to replace it ,but i'm not shure.  Sending it to a expert first though can save you money in fixing something you don't need to be fixed.  Sometimes the blu-ray player won't regonize a type of disc for some reason and i'm guessing the information to identify a movie in this case is not possible.   think you can send it into Sony for them to check it.  This I think is more of a problem that might needs fixing ,but who knows.

Message 8 of 12 (217 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 3, 2012

this is exactly what mine is doing when I Try to play Blu Ray. reading the comments and other articles I've decided to first try cleaning the lens with 91% iso alcohol and if that doesn't work buying the 20 dollar replacement laser, swapping out the boards and reinstalling. much better option than over $100 with Sony. The previous owner was a smoker and I think it may have left a lot of residue on the lens. if you have any thoughts on this let me know.

Message 9 of 12 (200 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 3, 2012

If its a problem with the blue ray your games should nit be working either.  My ps3 hasa similar problem. It cannot play blue ray movies or games, but it can play dvds.  

Message 10 of 12 (194 Views)
0 Likes