Jun 17 2013
By: come-beat_me7 Splicer 61 posts

PS3 repairs.....

[ Edited ]
11 replies 192 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

Anyone knows of a reliable company thay repairs PS3s? I will take recommendations of trustworthy, advanced companies. My PS3 is not reading my PS3 games and is reading cds and dvds. So I suspect there is something wrong with the blu-ray drive.

Alot of people say Endless Electronics are really good and recommendable. Well, I've been calling them for the past week and they never pick up their phone. And they didn't reply to my e-mail. I don't know what's going on with them.

Message 1 of 12 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: PS3 repairs.....

Jun 17, 2013

The Blu-Ray diode in your PS3 is dead. Thats why only CD and DVDs still work.

You can replace the laser yourself, there are plenty of how-to videos that are very detailed and you can get a replacement laser, brand new, for about $60.  

Its really not that hard, and you only need just a few screw drivers.

Each model of PS3 has a different disassembly procedure, so you'll need to look up your specific model on how to disassemble your PS3 to get to the laster assembly

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 12 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Jun 17, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

The Blu-Ray diode in your PS3 is dead. Thats why only CD and DVDs still work.

You can replace the laser yourself, there are plenty of how-to videos that are very detailed and you can get a replacement laser, brand new, for about $60.  

Its really not that hard, and you only need just a few screw drivers.

Each model of PS3 has a different disassembly procedure, so you'll need to look up your specific model on how to disassemble your PS3 to get to the laster assembly

What are possible reasons the blu-ray diode would ide all of a sudden after 3-4 years of having this fat ps3? Even if I do fix it myself, what are the chances the diode can occur again? With all that questioned, I would like to fix it myself (especially to save money). So besides a screwdriver, what are all the tools that I will I need to do a successful job. Last, do you have a suggested tutorial that can guide me? Thank you for yor advice.

Message 3 of 12 (152 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14032 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Youtube is your friend.

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 4 of 12 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

usually getting it repair is a waste of money, just buy a new system that would last longer and have 1 year warranty. Getting it repair, usually gets broken in a few months and you will have to get it repair again.

But in your case, if it really just the blu ray thats broken, better than getting it repair by a company who charges you $100, just buy a blu ray on ebay, they go for about $50 used. Replacing the blu ray is easy.

Message 5 of 12 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 17, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

usually getting it repair is a waste of money, just buy a new system that would last longer and have 1 year warranty. Getting it repair, usually gets broken in a few months and you will have to get it repair again.

But in your case, if it really just the blu ray thats broken, better than getting it repair by a company who charges you $100, just buy a blu ray on ebay, they go for about $50 used. Replacing the blu ray is easy.

I don't think I will even get it repaired anymore. Getting it repaired and suspecting something bad can happen again would not feel right. If I purchase a PS3, I will just take the best care of it and keep it away from the carpet. My dilemma is I buy a new/refurbished PS3 and will have it for a few months until PS4 comes ou this fall. And I can see myself getting a PS4. Decisions decisions.........
Message 6 of 12 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3091 posts

Jun 18, 2013

I still have my 60gb space heater ps3.  I don't know what I'd do if something broke down.

Message 7 of 12 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

MindAssassin wrote:

I still have my 60gb space heater ps3.  I don't know what I'd do if something broke down.

How long have you had it for? And where did you purchase it?

Message 8 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3091 posts

Jun 18, 2013

Bought a 60gb on Black Friday at a local electronics store just after ps3 launch.  That one I bought had to be sent back to Sony under warranty, the power supply burned out.  They did send me a refurbished 60gb back though.  I had read reports of people having their 60's replaced with 80gb by that time: I guess they were phasing out the 60gb model.  I'm glad I have the 60, that was the last model with hardware based emulation for PS2.  The software version in subsequent models has trouble playing some games.

Message 9 of 12 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Jun 18, 2013

yeah, i'd just buy a new one myself. i am already having to send my ps3 back in to Endless Electronics for a 2nd Warranty repair. Hindsight is always 20/20, but Ii'd have just scrapped this 80gb and bought a new one.

Message 10 of 12 (62 Views)
0 Likes