Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
2196 posts

Re: PS3 "Broken" hard drive fixed! No data lost!

Dec 26, 2012

Toe_Tag_ wrote:

You can just press the O button when the error appears to skip the whole process and you will be at your XBM. :smileyhappy:

That wasn't an option. It only said "The file system is corrupt and will be restored" with a button saying OK

I could only confirm by pressing X. Pressing O wouldn't do anything.

Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 11 of 77 (3,298 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 27, 2012

The best way to protect game saves is, like you said, have them off the console, so my best thought would be a nice-capacity USB flash drive to use. 

Message 12 of 77 (3,293 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Awesome write-up, invaluable information here.

Message 13 of 77 (3,290 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Dec 27, 2012
So let me ask you this OP. My HDD from my YLoD PS3 (which is now in a landfill somewhere) is sitting at my house. I have a LOT of data on there I would like to retrieve. We all know that some engineer from Sony who earned his degree online or something made it where only a single PS3 can read an HDD without restoring it first.

In your opinion, is there ANY way to extract the data and/or get another PS3 to read it?
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 14 of 77 (3,287 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2196 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

GuNz_52 wrote:
So let me ask you this OP. My HDD from my YLoD PS3 (which is now in a landfill somewhere) is sitting at my house. I have a LOT of data on there I would like to retrieve. We all know that some engineer from Sony who earned his degree online or something made it where only a single PS3 can read an HDD without restoring it first.

In your opinion, is there ANY way to extract the data and/or get another PS3 to read it?

I said on an earlier post on this thread.

Gojet-64 wrote:
... the PS3 encrypts data to each specific PS3. So I don't know what to do if the PS3 itself goes kaput.

Sorry...

Maybe you could try making an image of the hard drive, just to make sure you at least have your data.

Message 15 of 77 (3,270 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Dec 27, 2012
Is there no way to clone PS3 HDDs?

I don't understand how or why Sony would use CIA grade encryption on their HDDs. Somebody knows how to clone the information!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 16 of 77 (3,223 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2196 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

You can copy your PS3 hard drive. I just said you can make an image of your hard drive, and save it to your computer. Of course, you will need enough free space on your PC's hard drive to copy the entire size of your PS3 hard drive.

For example, if you have a 120 GB hard drive, you will need at least 120 GB of free space. Keep in mind, when making an image, it doesn't matter how much free space is on the hard drive you are making an image of. It will copy the entire disk size no matter what.

You may be wondering "What's a hard drive image?". Well, most of us know that data on hard drives is stored as 1's and 0's, or bytes. You need an operating system, and sometimes decryption software, to make sense of those 1's and 0's. By making an image, you simply copy all those 1's and 0's, even though your computer doesn't know what they mean.

Message 17 of 77 (3,219 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Dec 28, 2012
You got a Skype or something so we can go over that? Because I am lost when it comes to this type of discussion and Sony techs just tell me I'm screwed and have a nice day. :smileysad:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 18 of 77 (3,214 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Dec 28, 2012

If i use HDD regenerator on my old YLOD'd ps3's HDD will it fix it ?

and if it does fix how can i use it on another ps3 since the one it was initially on is dead.

Message 19 of 77 (3,209 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2196 posts

Dec 28, 2012

Dahem_Alias wrote:

If i use HDD regenerator on my old YLOD'd ps3's HDD will it fix it ?

and if it does fix how can i use it on another ps3 since the one it was initially on is dead.

I don't know what to do if the PS3 itself is dead. The hard drive is fine, you don't need to fix that. The problem is, you can't access the data on a different PS3.

I don't know much about Yellow Light of Death, but I think your best hope would be to physically repair the PS3 system somehow.

Message 20 of 77 (3,199 Views)
0 Likes