Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
2196 posts

Re: PS3 "Broken" hard drive fixed! No data lost!

Dec 28, 2012

GuNz_52 wrote:
You got a Skype or something so we can go over that? Because I am lost when it comes to this type of discussion and Sony techs just tell me I'm screwed and have a nice day. :smileysad:

Try this.

It's some free software you can use to make an image (clone) of your hard drive. This isn't the software I used to make an image of my PS3's hard drive, but this might work better, as its primary purpose is to make images hard drives.

Let me know whether or not this works. Thanks.

Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 21 of 76 (2,194 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Dec 28, 2012
I have a Mac OS.

:smileysad:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 22 of 76 (2,188 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2196 posts

Dec 28, 2012

Maybe you can try this.

You don't need to buy the full version. The free trial should suffice.

Remember, making an image (clone) of your hard drive will not fix it. It will just backup your data in case anything bad happens to the hard drive.

Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 23 of 76 (2,171 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Dec 29, 2012
What I want to do is clone information from my YLoD HDD, and transfer it to my current PS3.

Would this work in your opinion?
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 24 of 76 (2,168 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
768 posts

Jan 20, 2013

Gojet, I gave Tunernaut at TPRA the link to your fix for his PS3, and it worked perfectly when he fired it back up.

He sends his thanks.

Sig by: exXboxFan.
Message 25 of 76 (2,138 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2171 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

Hey Gojet, yesterday I lost power and today after doing a system restore it tells me I have to reformat the hard drive. It's doing it now but it's been 15 minutes already and it's still at 0% completed. Did you have to do this before you got the software to fix your hard drive? Wish me luck.

edit: did a search and it takes around 5 hours to reformat an 80 gig ps3. zzzzzzzzzzzzz lol

Message 26 of 76 (2,115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

May 6, 2013

I also had this happen to me 3 days ago....ive looked all over and was thinking of regretfully hitting the reformat on my ps3, then i found this post, wipes brow

So although im stil staring at a big paper weight im hoping tomorrow i can get what i need to hook up my hd to my pc and try some of these things and hope it works, although the last month i was getting the odd day error where it would need to recheck i just wasnt thinking hey something is off here...i put it too poppin out one disk and throwing in another too quickly before the game ended, i would always get the "beep beep" and my ps3 would turn off....hind sight of course......duh!!!

if this works, its a new hd regardless and regular back ups :smileysad:

Message 27 of 76 (2,025 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8724 posts

May 6, 2013

GuNz_52 wrote:
You got a Skype or something so we can go over that? Because I am lost when it comes to this type of discussion and Sony techs just tell me I'm screwed and have a nice day. :smileysad:

I too have a HDD from a PS3 I no longer own.

It has pictures of my daughter from birth to 1yr old, I did regular backups on an external drive, and still have the 60GB HDD from the PS3 that Futureshop lost during repairs.

I would really love to get the pictures off this drive somehow, if I make an image of the drive can I somehow put the image onto some HDD that can be read by one of my current PS3's?

I get Sony encrypting game data or what-ever, but why oh why make my personal data completely unretrievable?

And like i said I was doing backups, when I try to restore to any other PS3 I get a message like this:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/Phillyblunz/PS3restorenotpossible2.jpg

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 28 of 76 (2,016 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 13, 2013
I have this exact problem. I was playing GranTurismo 5 just like you, it happened after the race just like in your case, and I really need my HDD just like you. Is there any other way I can fix that ? Because I am not as good as you guys in computers... I will appreciate any idea what can halp me. It is probably the HDD because it goes normally to 46% than for like 5 mins stops and than goes normally for 100% and than the screen stays black...
Message 29 of 76 (1,990 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

May 13, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

GuNz_52 wrote:

I too have a HDD from a PS3 I no longer own.

It has pictures of my daughter from birth to 1yr old, I did regular backups on an external drive, and still have the 60GB HDD from the PS3 that Futureshop lost during repairs.

I would really love to get the pictures off this drive somehow, if I make an image of the drive can I somehow put the image onto some HDD that can be read by one of my current PS3's?

I get Sony encrypting game data or what-ever, but why oh why make my personal data completely unretrievable?

And like i said I was doing backups, when I try to restore to any other PS3 I get a message like this:

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/Phillyblunz/PS3restorenotpossible2.jpg

The reasoning behind it is for ease of implementation, less decryption needed, less storage of decryption keys needed, etc. etc.  By just putting the "lock" on the door to the "house", there is no need to put locks on every single door going into every single room in the house.  It is far simpler to just encrypt everything in bulk than it is to encrypt every single game file on there.  If the entire hard drive itself was not encrypted and the game developers had to encrypt each data file, it would add a lot more work for the developers and therefore it would cut back on their available development time and budget.  Also, by leaving a portion of the hard drive unencrypted and other portions encrypted, it opens up a way for people to figure out the encryption key a HECK OF A LOT more easily.

So for security reasons, they just cannot go ahead and leave a part of the hard drive unencrypted and maintain the same level of encryption needed on the other parts of the drive to prevent thiefs from just coyping their hard drive and giving unlimited copies of their DLC and saved games to others.

Message 30 of 76 (1,982 Views)
0 Likes