Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 23 2011
By: interceptor007 First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 overheated?

7 replies 519 views Edited Oct 23, 2011

So i have an 80 gb ps3, the one that came with the motorstorm pack. it has backwards compatibility and 4 usb ports. Yesterday i started playing arkham asylum, and while installing the game, the ps3 just shut down. It's red light was blinking, and it turned off. I looked it up, and found out it had overheated. So today I vacuumed out the fans, and tried to turn it on again, but after around 3 minutes, it shuts off again, with the red light blinking. It hasnt YLOD'd yet, but i think it will. Any idea how to fix this?

Message 1 of 8 (519 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: PS3 overheated?

Oct 23, 2011

Vaccuming the vents isn't good enough, you need at the very least change the thermal paste and thermal pads for the PS3 to cool itself more efficiently. I wrote about this in a guide you can access through the link below...

Message 2 of 8 (519 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 23, 2011

Is the blinking red light different from YLOD?

I have the same in my 60G PS3 but the lab guys stated there is no cure.

YLOD is a yellow light blinking?

I don't understand how Sony have a product with a bad cooling design with no guaranty for their failure.

Thanks !

Message 3 of 8 (519 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25168 posts

Oct 23, 2011

mlrUsa wrote:

I don't understand how Sony have a product with a bad cooling design with no guaranty for their failure.

Thanks !

Here's the thing; this "YLOD" (I HATE these terms!) is a phrase coined by "gamers" to describe a warning light that appears during a GENERAL hardware failure. Note the world "general". That means it could be any number of failures associated with the system. Yet "gamers" have repeated the phrase to the point where they now believe it means a specific failure. When you get a general hardware failure that's just it, a GENERAL failure. It could be one particular thing, but it's not confined soley to it.

The other thing is you ask how could Sony have a bad cooling design and no gauruntee for their failure. PS3's are not dropping like flies, regardless of what you may read on the internet. Again, gamers are under the impression that this message board qualifies as tech support. It doesn't. Anything you read here is going to be at best, guesswork from you fellow community members. Also, nobody is going to come here and say "OMG!! MI PS3 IZ WURKNG PURFETLY!! PLZ DON HLP!!". And if you're cramming your console into a tight corner with no ventilation, that's hardly Sony's fault now is it?

This has been covered many, many times. It's not some grand conspiracy on Sony's part, regardless of what gamers want to believe. I don't have an ending here but I'll just leave it at that.

Message 4 of 8 (519 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 23, 2011

mlrUsa wrote:

Thanks !

The YLOD ends with the red light blinking, the yellow light blinks only for a split second, and many people miss it.

Usually when you get the YLOD there are cracked solder joints under the GPU that prevent the PS3 from working. It usually can be successfully repaired through reballing, where the lead-free solder is replaced with more robust leaded solder. It is also generally believed that the thermal paste Sony uses on the PS3 dries out after a couple of years, making it easier for the solder joints to crack.

You can refer to this guide regarding the lights on a PS3, although it isn't going to tell you very much:

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1733

Message 5 of 8 (519 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 23, 2011

that looks like a good link, i'll check it out

Message 6 of 8 (519 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 8, 2012
Help me my ps3 whenever i play black ops 2 it shuts down then i vacuum the vents but still the same thing happen after 3 minutes it shut down and shows a blinking red light.i tried cooling it down but still same thing happen
Message 7 of 8 (433 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 8, 2012

My PS3 overheat all the time but never shut down. I think there is something wrong with your cooling fans in the PS3. I suggest you should get your system look at by a professional. And I hope you didn't lose  your progress on arkham asylum . I hope this helped.

Message 8 of 8 (416 Views)
0 Likes