Sep 11 2012
By: drostbro First Son 7 posts

PS3 optical disc issue

11 replies 1477 views Edited Sep 11, 2012

I have read through every forum and tried every trick there is, but none work for my system.  I have a fat ps3 originally with the 40GB hard drive. The sequence of events is as follows:

1) ps3 worked perfectly since purchase with normal to mild use

2) sometime in June 2012 after updating to the new firmware no optical discs will load (just get the spinning circle in xmb)

3) buy a new optical drive (including new laser assembly) and install (Tranferring the "married" board to the new drive.  It works perfectly for a day.  Then the exact same problem where it will not boot any optical discs, but will accept and eject without any problem

4) tried every trick I've read about, reinstalling firmware, starting hard disk game and then optical game, turning off auto-load then turning it back on.  I also installed a different hard drive erasing any trace of saved data from my system.  Nothing worked.

5) I tried one last ditch effort before giving up and bought just the laser lens and deck on amazon.  I installed without any issue and once again it worked perfectly, FOR ONE DAY.  I just started it up and the same problem is back where it will not recognize any optical disc.

At this point I am thinking it is some firmware issue with the fat ps3 consoles.  Does anyone have a similar issue or any advice other than buying a new console?  Is there any word on a new firmware release that would fix the issues with the ps3 fat?  I love my playstation, but am getting sick of this.  The problem appears to be extremely common.

Message 1 of 12 (1,477 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: PS3 optical disc issue

Sep 11, 2012

could be a failing laser..... you COULD try replacing the laser.

You dont need to spend $250 on a console for something that will take $60 to fix

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 12 (1,464 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for the reply, but I've replaced two lasers now (the first in the replacement drive and the second laser only).  A new laser is not the issue with this console (unless i'm extremely unlucky).  The replacements work at first and then after a day of use fail to read anything.

Message 3 of 12 (1,462 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Sep 11, 2012

drostbro wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I've replaced two lasers now (the first in the replacement drive and the second laser only).  A new laser is not the issue with this console (unless i'm extremely unlucky).  The replacements work at first and then after a day of use fail to read anything.

You must not be buying the correct lasers then..... do not buy China made products.

Only buy lasers made from the drives original manufacturer. 
The only way to tell is look up the markings on the drive itself to see who the manufacturer was as each model used a different manufacturer.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 12 (1,451 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 11, 2012
Haha. Every drive/laser used for the ps3 is made in china. The drives/lasers used were OEM. They worked when installed and then just stopped after the system was idle for a day. Doesn't sound like the problem is a failing laser if the same thing happened with three different OEM lasers. Any other suggestions?
Message 5 of 12 (1,445 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Sep 11, 2012

Not all of them.... 

I meant "China" in regards to the low quality, knock off parts that Ebay is known for in most aspects.

and buying them as "OEM" is as obscure a description as possible when its posted on an ebay ad.

But if its not laser as you say, it could be the entire drive itself is faulty.

Without getting into too much detail, there are "ways" that people have "remarried" a BD drive to a PS3 that wasnt original to that specific hardware. 
I stumbled upon it by accident. Its a Wiki page of sorts. I didnt save the link, but I dont think it should be too much trouble to find

You could concievably buy a used PS3 BD drive that is known to be working and look at how to remarry a BD drive as an option.

As for losing out on 3 lasers.... have you made sure all the connections on the drive to the mobo are secured?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 12 (1,443 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 11, 2012
Thanks. Yea I was sure to look out for the low-quality drives/lasers. They were brand new and identical to the original ps3 parts. When you say drive I'm guessing you are referring to the drive board? Remarrying to another board is an option, but I was hoping to avoid investing more if the problem goes deeper than the drive. Anyone know if/when there will be a firmware update?
Message 7 of 12 (1,440 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 11, 2012
I've also checked the connections a thousand times
Message 8 of 12 (1,439 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Sep 11, 2012

no, i mean the entire drive..... but swapping just the logic board could be just as effective.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 12 (1,436 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Sep 11, 2012

I've replaced the entire drive once already (with a brand new one), but after working for one day the problem persisted.  The fact that it will read all optical media and then stops after a day leads me to believe it is something else going on in my system.  It is the same problem with two different drives and 3 different lasers.  This problem started upon the ps3 auto-updating the firmware and game data, but since then I have deleted game data, formatted the hard drive, reinstalled the firmware, and went to default settings.  I was hoping there is some fix I wasn't aware of, but I guess not.  My guess is the firmware is causing the problem.  A lot of ps3 fat owners reported issues after the update.

Message 10 of 12 (1,429 Views)
0 Likes