Highlighted
Nov 22 2011
By: Slobdell1 First Son 2 posts

PS3 on a Samsung dlp

3 replies 247 views Edited Nov 22, 2011

I have a fully updated PS3 and a Samsung 61" 3D ready DLP connected via an HDMI 1.4 cable.  The cable is plugged into the HDMI 3/DVI port and the 3d mode is active.  I can't get the ps3 to recognize my tv as a 3D setup.  Anyone have suggestions on what I am missing in the setup?  I have also already run through the video reset on the ps3 several times.

Message 1 of 4 (247 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS3 on a Samsung dlp

Nov 23, 2011

I have the same TV and PS3.  I'll answer this from memory (since I don't have 3D enabled). Unfortunately the Samsung 3D-Ready DLP uses a different 3D standard than the PS3.  Older Mitsubishi DLPs also use the non-standard 3D.  Last I looked, Samsung said they weren't going to make a converter to use the newer 3D standard.  However Mitsubishi did create a converter kit:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20008699-1.html

That only directly works with Mitsubishi DLPs.  However, I do recall seeing somebody created a "spoofer" that enabled it to work with the Samsung (basically the spoofer tells the 3D convert that that Samsung is a Mitsubishi).  The comments associated with the link above includes a note about a Tru3D kit that is supposed to work with the Samsung and PS3.  Don't know anything about that.  There are other newer comments that also sound like that converter can work with the Samsung.

Message 2 of 4 (247 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 24, 2011

Got the 3d to work.  I actually went and bought a Panasonic BDT310p and hooked it directly to the HDMI 3 port.  No adapter needed.  Set the tv mode to 3D and the player to checkerboard and it works great.  Crystal clear 3D.  Also using dlp link glasses by futurecinema that sell new on eBay for 40 bucks. 

Message 3 of 4 (247 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 20, 2012

Good news; Mitsubishi has relented; their first converter (model 3DA-1, converter only, no glasses) Mitsubishi released worked with many DLP sets including Samsung's.  Later Mitsubishi revised 3DA-1 to support only Mitsubishi products; ditto for model 3DC-1000 3D Starter Kit.  An HDMI EDID spoofing hack enabled Samsung TV with these products.

Mitsubishi now has "3D Starter Kit" model 3DC-100S which supports some Samsung DLP TV products.

Janary 2011, Hothardware.com posts "Mitsubishi's 3DC-100S Starter Pack Brings 3D To Older Samsung HDTVs" article; a much better product description than Mitsubishi's product web page.  Sigh... but to be fair, Mitsubishi does a complete Samsung disclosre but only in their PDF Specification Sheet, page 2.  Double sigh...

The "How and why the 3-D HDMI 1.4 update is possible for the PS3" posting, implies PS3 supports two 3D formats:

• Frame Packing 1080 (per HDMI) (Blu-ray) 1920 x 2205 24Hz
  • Frame Packing (per HDMI) (Blu-ray) 1280 x 1470 60Hz

and you'll find both on 3DC-100S PDF Specification Sheet, page 2.

I'm not ready to claim it works but looks promising enough to get me to buy one; this AVS Forum "3D on Samsung 1080p DLP with Mitsubishi 3DA-1 and no Gefen" article is reassuring.

Last Saturday Mitsubishi's "Buy Online" button on 3DC-100S page lead me to 4 online sellers only 1 had stock; tonight that same button shows no sellers.  Since seller choice was simple, I found Walt's TV 3DC-100S page; must place in shopping cart to see full Mitsubish list proce.  Scolling down to page footer show Walt's sells on many venues and it's worth going there to save $20.00 and get free shipping.  Why sell for more on your own site?  Beat's me, I took the deal on Amazon and ran!

I won't post again just to say, "It's working! It's working! It's working!" but I will post if there's any problems.

Happy viewing PS3 and Samsung DLP owners!

Message 4 of 4 (247 Views)
0 Likes