Reply
Jan 08 2009
By: Thorn04200 Lombax Warrior 111 posts
Offline

PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

23 replies 160425 views Edited Jan 8, 2009

a few days ago i  posted that my ps3 was not reading my blu-rays or my games. alot of people ( everyone ) told me my blu-ray drive was DEAD. one guy gave me a link to a post that talked about rebooting my ps3 , holding down the off button and using a cd cleaner ( the one with the brushes on it )...NONE OF IT WORKED...... so i went on youtube and found a video of a guy talking about cleaning his blu-ray player lense with a cotton swab , one side dipped in lens cleaner and the other dry.

 

so i looked at a youtube video about disecting my ps3 ( HERE ) then opened my blu ray using this ( HERE ) , and it worked!!!!...

 

SIDENOTE: i bought my ps3 3 weeks after it cameout , so my warrenty is long dead........also........ i did call sony , and they suggested rebooting also..obviosly didn't work and anyone who got rid of there ps3 because of this problem, i feel sorry for you.

 

but if you do have this probelm , trust me , this will help.

Message Edited by Thorn04200 on 01-07-2009 08:09 PM
Message Edited by Thorn04200 on 01-08-2009 01:00 AM
Message 8 of 24 (160,425 Views)
Shinra Executive
Registered: 10/01/2002
Offline
45016 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009

I have heard of others doing this to, and it did work...but not for long.

 

I hope it works for you forever, but keep us updated as to your consoles condition a month from now.


Message 1 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/03/2008
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009
Yea I tried that following those videos but my ps3  is still freezing during gameplay or blueray movies. laser lens was already pretty clean so it didnt make a difference. IM thinking I have to get another blueray drive.
Message 2 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/14/2008
Offline
111 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009

RatmanG73 wrote:

I have heard of others doing this to, and it did work...but not for long.

 

I hope it works for you forever, but keep us updated as to your consoles condition a month from now.


 

in all honesty , i did this with my ps2 and a dvd player before , i just didn't think about doing it with my ps3 , and it DIDN'T last long on the ps2, because the ps2 had a blu film type substance on the lens , and when you whipped it , it will take it off , which messes it up reading the games, the dvd palyer did work ,BUT i had to keep on doing it every so often . like once every 2 months , i think it gets dustier after cleaning it , i hope my ps3 holds for awhile , ill be happy with  6 months , i can totally clean it every 6 months , not a hassle.
Message Edited by Thorn04200 on 01-07-2009 08:19 PM
Message 3 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/14/2008
Offline
111 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009

WTFiSUCK wrote:
Yea I tried that following those videos but my ps3  is still freezing during gameplay or blueray movies. laser lens was already pretty clean so it didnt make a difference. IM thinking I have to get another blueray drive.

 

i didn't get the freezing problem ,  mine just didn't read it, i think your problem goes under the catogery of rebooting your system.
Message 4 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/05/2008
Offline
308 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009

Thorn04200 wrote:

RatmanG73 wrote:

I have heard of others doing this to, and it did work...but not for long.

 

I hope it works for you forever, but keep us updated as to your consoles condition a month from now.


 

in all honesty , i did this with my ps2 and a dvd player before , i just didn't think about doing it with my ps3 , and it DIDN'T last long on the ps2, because the ps2 had a blu film type substance on the lens , and when you whipped it , it will take it off , which messes it up reading the games, the dvd palyer did work ,BUT i had to keep on doing it every so often . like once every 2 months , i think it gets dustier after cleaning it , i hope my ps3 holds for awhile , ill be happy with  months , i can totally clean it every 6 months , not a hassle.

Awesome man! Congrats. I tried this method first before I swapped my laser but I wasn't successful. I'm glad its up and running. Hopefully you never need to swap the laser out at all. If you do its not that hard and you can always check out my blu ray fix thread to hear about how we all went about doing it. (about 8 of us now in the past month) 

PS3 60GB w/ Self Replaced ($60.00) KES-400AAA laser on 12/11/08....STILL going strong!
Message 5 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/03/2008
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009
sorry for the newb question but what is this rebooting solution? Not just the regular off and on is it? Is there a certain way to do it? I couldnt find anything searching forums.  ANy help appreciated
Message 6 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 04/19/2008
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009

thank you for posting this fix. my ps3 wouldn't read blu ray discs two days ago. my warranty ran out two months ago. if this does not work i think i'm going to buy another ps3 with three year warranty this time.

Message 7 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/14/2008
Offline
111 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009

WTFiSUCK wrote:
sorry for the newb question but what is this rebooting solution? Not just the regular off and on is it? Is there a certain way to do it? I couldnt find anything searching forums.  ANy help appreciated

 

the rebooting is basically ( system restore ). in your playstation setting..i think its under system settings ...something like that.........  i think it will work for freezing...if you value trophies ,save them  and your game saves on a usb before you do it.
Message Edited by Thorn04200 on 01-08-2009 01:05 AM
Message 9 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/14/2008
Offline
111 posts
 

Re: PS3 not playing blu- ray or games...FIXED!!!!!

Jan 8, 2009
updated
Message 10 of 24 (160,425 Views)
0 Likes