Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to disconnect

Jan 2, 2008

Reisling wrote:
I pity the poor dad who bought his kid a PS3 for christmas and knows nothing about networking. Little Johnny says " daaaaad i can't get online to race carrrrrsss.... " only then does dad realize that he needs an associates degree in computer networking to get his kid's game to work. R...O...F...L.

( almost makes you miss Duck Hunt doesn't it )

I agree with you. It shouldn't be a rocket science, but to get online you still need some sort of knowledge, even to hook up duck hunt (hook up those RCA's in wrong order, and no picture!!)

For the first time, yesterday, everything worked fine, and I got 100KB/sec downloads from PS Store! I got NAT2.  I forgot if I turned off media sharing (I have to check), but I simply forwarded DMZ to PS3 and it seems to work fine, so far.. No securty or anything is in place. I will start adding security and will get back if I have any problems.
I have assigned IP to PS3 that is out of the ordinary (192.168.150.xxx) something like that, and used ISP's DNS addresses.

0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re:PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to drop connection.

Oct 24, 2008

Hi, I'm new to the forums. Sorry to bump an old topic... but I recently purchased a PS3 and had the same problem. I read this thread, and a few others trying to find a fix.

I just wanted to add, I use AT&T DSL 5.0mpbs service with a 2wire gateway (router/modem). It has a firewall, so I tried disabling my Windows firewall thinking the hardware firewall + software firewall weren't playing nice. Well, it works like a charm. No disconnects, no problems communicating with WMP11.

Before I did that, my 2wire would flash green/red every time the PS3 was media sharing enabled. If I disabled it I wouldn't have a problem. I tried changing the routers firewall setting for the host computer to DMZ Plus mode, I called AT&T and a rep told me to change my wireless settings from 802.11b/g to 802.11b, nothing worked. I pretty much set everything to defaults and started over (but set the router to 802.11g) and since I disabled Windows firewall, I've been online, streaming music (listening right now) and using the internet for about 3 hours with no disconnects. 

I hope this helps someone. 

Message 42 of 49 (581 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to disconnect everyone, and

Jul 9, 2009
I was having trouble with this too, use a linksys wireless G router. for me disabling the media server function in Network Settings in the XMB did the trick, now it works like a gem!
Message 43 of 49 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
565 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to disconnect everyone, and

Sep 28, 2009

Yeah, disabling the media server helped me too. But I have a question for anyone who can answer...

I've tried installing the the program for this router on my computer because I have an aircard that goes through it and I can get the aircard to share on an XP, but not a Vista. When I install the router program on eother version, I can't seem to get it to go through, saying it needs to connect to a computer and the internet/modem and my internet runs through my computer. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Message 44 of 49 (581 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to disconnect everyone, and drop connectio

Oct 10, 2009
Thanks this helped me a lot xD
Message 45 of 49 (581 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to disconnect everyone, and drop connectio

Dec 14, 2010

Hey i had the same problem.. the way i fixed mine was i changed my ip-address and i disabled the media sharing..hope this helped for u as it did for me.

Message 46 of 49 (581 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 16, 2010

I was having this same exact problem with the exact same router (linksys WRT54G). I usually use another router and had absolutely no problems with the default settings but when I tried connecting it to my parents' linksys, the connection kept dropping. I disabled media server and the problem was solved. Apparently this type of router has a problem with the media sharing.

Message 47 of 49 (581 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
593 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my

Dec 5, 2012

Disabling the media server option on the PS3 fixes this, but the real problem is the router, not the PS3.

This router's software has a broken UPnP implimentation, which causes the router to reboot when UPnP crashes. For some reason it crashes when the PS3 looks for media servers.

If you change to a better router you won't have this issue and you can keep your media server option turned on.

Message 48 of 49 (513 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2787 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my

[ Edited ]
Dec 5, 2012

LOL way to necro a thread no one's posted in for  2 years ago (or longer if your'e respong to the OP)......  goof.....

I actually waasted time reading the first page till i saw the dates.... >.<

Message 49 of 49 (508 Views)
0 Likes