Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my

Dec 31, 2007
nothing at all wrong with the firmware, and these are questions asked on a daily basis,,

it doesnt have to be as complicated people make it out to be..

when in doubt reset your router, and redo your network settings on the ps3. should be pretty darn close to plug and play if you didnt or dont overly futz with the settings.

hyedipin wrote:
Is that really required? (Port Forward) How come PS3 documentation doesn't mention that. Plus you cannot forward ports if you are using DHCP (as suggested or as assumed by PS3, under easy setup)
I realized that the connection drops as soon as PS3 is checking "Playstation Network".  It passed "Obtain IP Address",  it passes "Checking Internet", but as soon as it comes to "Playstation Network" in that list of checking network connection, it suddenly drops the connection, causes my Router to disconnect everyone else, and also causes my router to disconnect from PPPoE network.

This is really frustrating. I also noticed a few other topics, complaining about the same issue, just started popping up recently, and I suspect there is something wrong with PS3 firmware...

Message Edited by hyedipin on 12-31-2007 10:23 AM

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 11 of 49 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Dec 31, 2007
...and the amount of this thats purely user error, user ignorance is staggering.
trust me on that one.
Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 12 of 49 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Dec 31, 2007
what about enabling dmz, i can get a nat2 with that and so far have not been disconnected, but i don't like that it leaves me unsecure. what are the steps i need to take now to start securing it a little more.  i've tried port forwarding but i still get a nat3. but someone was saying what about dhcp or something?
Message 13 of 49 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to disconnect everyone, and drop conne

Dec 31, 2007
My God,,, Just read the post that I made at the top of the forums. DMZ your PS3 and you will be groovin son. ( i can't beleive how many posts there are about these problems when my solution has been up there for like a week )
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PSN ID: Reisling
Message 14 of 49 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Jan 1, 2008
What do you mean DMZ? So I just tell router  DMZ Host IP Address is PS3's IP? But how could you run DMZ to PS3 if you are using DHCP, which means PS3's IP address will change each time it leases one off router...

I am still suggesting that there is another issue with DSL users. I am going to run absolute base, with DHCP, no security, and just default router config, only thing that will be changed is PPPoE username/password, and then I will see if it will still disconnect. Even with the way it is working right now, it is pretty slow. Does it matter if I setup my router to be Mixed B/G or strictly use G? I think PS3 is  802.11b/g, right?

Thanks.

Message Edited by hyedipin on 12-31-2007 04:14 PM

0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1429 posts

Jan 1, 2008

hyedipin wrote:
What do you mean DMZ? So I just tell router  DMZ Host IP Address is PS3's IP? But how could you run DMZ to PS3 if you are using DHCP, which means PS3's IP address will change each time it leases one off router...

I am still suggesting that there is another issue with DSL users. I am going to run absolute base, with DHCP, no security, and just default router config, only thing that will be changed is PPPoE username/password, and then I will see if it will still disconnect. Even with the way it is working right now, it is pretty slow. Does it matter if I setup my router to be Mixed B/G or strictly use G? I think PS3 is  802.11b/g, right?

Thanks.

Assign your PS3 a static IP address (you can still have everything else on the LAN dhcp). Apply the needed wireless security you'd like (WEP, WPA, MAC filter, etc.)

disable uPnP...then either DMZ the PS3 or port forward using the static IP address of the PS3.  PORTS 

Regarding the mixed or G....it doesn't matter for the PS3 but if you have any B devices (ie. PSP) they will not function if you select G only.

Message 16 of 49 (870 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 1, 2008
For any and all of you who have had/are having constant connection issues with the Playstation3 and the Playstation network I thought I would post what my problems were specifically with the Linksys WRT54GS Version 5 and the PSN. I got my PS3 about three weeks ago, and I must say first and foremost I am a pretty big XBOX fan, but the PS3 is by far a better value and a more complete system, the games are catching up but I love the PS3.

What I did not love was my constant struggle to get/stay on line with the PSN. I think I got about every type of message you could possibly get (“This is a DNS error” “The connection with the Playstation Network has timed out” actually connecting on start-up and then almost immediately being booted and on and on) My 360 has never had any issue connecting, it is a wired connection to the WRT54G. Each time the PS3 would connect it would cause every other computer in my house to be booted from the wireless network as well. I tried to go in and set up a DMZ with no effect. So I direct wired my WRT to the PS3 thinking this would help out.............. nope same thing. All through this I was always also getting NAT Type 3, if it would show it, a lot of times I could not get that far when doing the network connection test.

I did a lot of web-searching to all the major forums and I became very aware that there are a ton of people with the same set-up as me (specifically with the WRT54G) having the same nagging problems. I never really found any answers to my problems, and I tried a lot of different things before doing what I did, disabling the media server ability, re-setting the router and modem and any and many varied approaches you will find simply by doing forum searches, frankly too many to list.

Ok what I did (which I am sure is all you really want to know, sorry for the long intro) is two things. First, and I feel this is very important, I updated the firmware on my router, I was hoping to get the problem sorted out without it but I finally found a little hole in my time and did it, and I found a very informative site www.portforward.com which walked me through the specific ports I needed to open up for the PSN. Once I did these two things I was able to be instantly signed onto the PSN (which never had happened before) and by instantly I mean right as the menu is done loading I get the “Signed in” message at the top right of the screen, as well as not be booted constantly. I mean problem solved end of story. And I went from NAT type 3 to NAT type 2 just like that. Bear in mind that port forwarding apparently only works with static IP addresses not DHCP. In order to save you some search time I have included the direct link to the web-page for the specific port forwarding instructions;

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54GS/PlayStation_Network.htm

Now one other note of interest I would like to share with all of you. There is a lot of debate on the forums over wired/wireless connection types and which ones are better. Please understand before you read this I can only speak to my set-up and my results and I am not saying that my results are absolute, I am just going to tell you my findings for my set-up. In trying to get this all worked out I went and bought a 25 foot ethernet cable and ran it to my bedroom, the wall from my living-room behind my entertainment center is the wall that separates my bedroom and living-room so this was no big deal for me. As indicated above I was using my wireless connection while I was having all of the connection troubles, but I did try to hook it up direct with the ethernet cable as well to the same end result before the port forwarding and firmware upgrade. After the upgrade and forwarding however I still felt that the downloads from the PSN were very slow so I ran a batch of tests with the same download, MX vs. ATV, the new one that is in the Playstation Store. It is right around 750 MB. I first tried it wireless (after the firmware update and the port forwarding) and it took almost exactly 48 minuets. I hooked up the CAT 5 cable and tried it again, WOW....... 14 minuets. Um...... Ok lets try this again, deleted the download again.... went wireless 48 minuets.... deleted, hooked up the cable, downloaded in 14 minuets. Deleted the download disconnected the cable again went wireless and the same result. Deleted the download hooked up the cable and downloaded it again, 14 minuets. Three times I did this just to be sure. Each time I did this I went into the “Network Settings” and set it up for each type of connection. So for me wired is BY FAR better than wireless. Better than three times as fast for downloads, which I fell will give me a better on-line connection for gaming as well. So the end result is I left the PS3 Hooked up and set up for a wired connection

I am sorry for the long post but I really want to help any of you struggling with the same problems I was having and I really hope this helps you out.
Message 17 of 49 (870 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to disconnect

Jan 1, 2008
when you go into your router settings on your comuter disable UpNP it is located under the administration tab since you have the WRT 54G ROUTER. I have the same exact router and i had the same problem and disabling UpNP solved it for me.
Message 18 of 49 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
440 posts

Re: PS3 is causing my Wireless Router to disconnect everyone

Jan 1, 2008
ur ps3 dont like to share
Message 19 of 49 (870 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jan 1, 2008
I have the same router, it happens to me also, especially when I play UT3.
Message 20 of 49 (870 Views)
0 Likes