Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Re: PS3 froze and then shut off by it self.

Sep 14, 2012

Kinda sounds like its getting hot, make sure your vents are cleaned out. If they are not sure might try your post in the support **bleep** hope you can keep gameing.

Message 11 of 23 (2,102 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 14, 2012

I'm having the same issue with my 20 GB launch PS3. Just got Tekken Tag 2 and it crashes after about 5 -10 minutes of play. Uncharted 3 used to do the same on chapter 8. The system is really warm to the touch in the rear of it so I'll let it cool down for a bit. Maybe that'll help.

I know I'm going to have to upgrade to a slim soon if want to play newer games on it though.

Message 12 of 23 (2,090 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Sep 14, 2012

Fleakitten wrote:

I'm having the same issue with my 20 GB launch PS3. Just got Tekken Tag 2 and it crashes after about 5 -10 minutes of play. Uncharted 3 used to do the same on chapter 8. The system is really warm to the touch in the rear of it so I'll let it cool down for a bit. Maybe that'll help.

I know I'm going to have to upgrade to a slim soon if want to play newer games on it though.

The best thing for you to do is to open it up and clean it out..... if your CECHB01 is getting hot after a few minutes, then its likely that it has accumulated dust and could use a thermal paste replacement with something more efficient.

You dont need to spend money on a slim if you dont have to. 

If you dont feel comfortable opening up your PS3 there are some repair places, like Endless Electronics, they offer upgrade services that will extend the life of your fat PS3. 

If i were you, i'd wait until the release of the "Super Slim"

Furiously Chaosing
Message 13 of 23 (2,085 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 14, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Fleakitten wrote:

The best thing for you to do is to open it up and clean it out..... if your CECHB01 is getting hot after a few minutes, then its likely that it has accumulated dust and could use a thermal paste replacement with something more efficient.

You dont need to spend money on a slim if you dont have to. 

If you dont feel comfortable opening up your PS3 there are some repair places, like Endless Electronics, they offer upgrade services that will extend the life of your fat PS3. 

If i were you, i'd wait until the release of the "Super Slim"

I have no money for a slim ( or a slimmer lol ) right now so I'll see about cleaning it out.

Message 14 of 23 (2,079 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 7, 2012

Are you playing on the internet when it freezes? If so, it could be the servers.

If you are not playing on the internet and it freezes then it could be hardware troubles. Can you eject the game and return to the menu? if so, then insert the game again and see if you can play the game again.

I had this trouble on my PS before I got the yellow light of death. I had it repaired by Expert PS3 repairs in columbus ohio first and it only lasted a few weeks. They suck!

I then found Video Game Mechanic in columbus and they Reballed it and unit works great now For months and months!

Message 15 of 23 (2,069 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 15, 2012

Well, I just took mine into this place called CPR (Cell Phone Repair). My girlfriend works at the Gamestop near there, and told me that any customer that comes in need of console repairs gets sent over to that store. She says they're really good, so I figured I'd try them out myself.

Their game technitian was in today, so I described the problem in detail to him. He took it in for a while to test play it so he could diagnose the problem and give a free estimate. Turns out, it was an issue of over-heating (which I kinda figured it was anyways). Though he said since I've never gotten a yellow light, it's not that serious and no major internal work would need to be done. He just said that the fan wasn't circulating enough air, so the CPU was getting too hot and it would shut itself off as a result.

So basically, he said that all he would need to do is add a knob on it to control the speed of the fan. He told me that Sony designed the fans on the older PS3 models to spin slower so they would be quieter, not really anticipating how demanding the newer games were gonna be. Currently, he said the fans on the old models spin at around 3.5 volts, and once the knob is added, it would be spinning at over 12 volts. He's worked with many old PS3 models, and he's pretty confident that that would fix the problem for me.

So we'll see what happens...

Message 16 of 23 (1,977 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Sep 15, 2012
Its PS3 lens see YouTube to clean ps3 lens [You have to open your PS3 For it and BEWARE Not to replace any specs or you can get banned from ps network.]
Message 17 of 23 (1,965 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 15, 2012

My brother-in-law have a fat ps3 and he play different kind of games but he recently he bought TT2 and he experienced a weird YLOD problem. Coincidence ?

Message 18 of 23 (1,944 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 17, 2012

Hi guys,

i exoerience the same issue as you guys while playing tekken tag tournament 2 offline.

firmware 4.2.5

played few rounds and suddenly ps3 shutdown with red light blinking.

what i did to fix this is to turn off the internet connection of ps3, either unplug the ethernet cable or turn off the wifi. there was no more shutdown and manage to finish ttt2 until last boss.

see if it works with you guys.

Message 19 of 23 (1,896 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 18, 2012

I have been playing TTT2 since launch, every day for at least an hour or more each day. Played for about 1.5 hours last night and then all of the sudden it starts freezing on me. To be real clear though, the screen is freezing, the system is not shutting itself off or anything like that, just the screen freezing. It always occurs after about 10-12 minutes, like clockwork, regardless of what mode I'm in, or menu.

If anyone has a solution I would be really grateful, I have been looking forward to this game for years now, and this is borderline heartbreaking. I have never had this issue before with any other game.

Message 20 of 23 (1,862 Views)
0 Likes