Highlighted
Sep 12 2012
By: Melee_Sovereign First Son 3 posts

PS3 froze and then shut off by it self.

22 replies 1884 views Edited Sep 12, 2012

While I was playing Tekken Tag Tournament 2, my PS3 froze and then shut off by it self, followed by a red blinking light. I was able to turn it back on. This is a Slim PS3 model too.

Now I dunno if this is a coincidence, but when I turned it back on, it said I needed to do the 4.25 firmware update. I was able to download and install the entire update without a problem. Then after that, I turned off my system out of fear of making any problem I might have worse. And I figured I may have a chance to prevent a further problem now if there is a problem.

What do any of you think? If it only happened once so far is it not a big deal? Is it possible the firmware update caused this?

This is also my second PS3, which I've had since Summer of 2010. I had a fat one before that and it YLOD'd. It didn't do the red blinking light thing any time before that. One day it just YLOD'd. So I dunno if my Slim is having the same problem.

Message 1 of 23 (1,884 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS3 froze and then shut off by it self.

Sep 12, 2012

since I did the new firmware update my ps3 has been freezing up too! this sucks

Message 2 of 23 (1,876 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 12, 2012

Seriously?! Is it doing the blinking red light thing? Mine happened right BEFORE I did the update. Though if I remember correctly, it made me do the update twice. One before my PS3 froze, and then one after.

Message 3 of 23 (1,870 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 12, 2012

What you just described is the EXACT same thing that happened on my ps3 (updated, played the game, crashed, and updated again). I can't even play Tekken Tag 2 for more than a minute without my system crashing. I've lost track of how many times I've tried, it just won't play. My system will also crash while playing Uncharted 3. There's an occasional crash when playing Infamous 2 and Killzone 3, but those are rare. All my other games play just fine though.

I have an 80 GB PS3 that still has backwards compatibility. So since your's is a slim, I'm starting to think that the model has nothing to do with it. Although I have heard that Uncharted 3 has been having problems with many older gen PS3's, this doesn't sound like the case with Tekken Tag 2.

My friend also bought this game, but has yet to play it. He has the same PS3 model as I do, so I'll add another post here once he lets me know what happens. In the meantime, I would really like to know if I'm a minority here, or if there are other people experiencing this problem with this game in particular, as well.

Message 4 of 23 (1,863 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Sep 12, 2012
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but my system has been running flawlessly since the update.
Message 5 of 23 (1,826 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Sep 13, 2012

Well, I just played my system for about 2 hours just now. Seems to be fine. Hopefully nothing will happen if and when I play for a longer session.

Message 6 of 23 (1,823 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 13, 2012
I also have an 80GB backwards compatible PS3 and this exact issue is happening for me when playing TTT2. I was on 4.21, updated to 4.25, TTT2 game updated to 1.01 and it's STILL happening. Can't even play more than 3-4 rounds in offline arcade without the system crashing.
Message 7 of 23 (1,803 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 13, 2012

same is happening to me. ive been been playing madden13 since it was release without problems. then updated to 4.25 and i just bought nhl13 and that and madden13 continue to freeze about 10-15 min into playing. as if the system is struggling to keep up with the game information. it also has trouble getting out of the games and shutting down. this has only been happening after the update. the only differences are that im pretty sure i wasnt asked to redownload the update and my system model is not the slim version. hope someone can resolve this.

Message 8 of 23 (1,736 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 14, 2012

My Ps3 is doing exactly the same thing as this. (PAL Fat launch model)

Happened with Uncharted 3 a while ago as well. Also this happened in Tekken Prologue that I had as well. Now it's happening with Tekken Tag 2. Everything else I've tried runs fine though.

I think it might be with quite graphically taxing games it's maybe a failsafe for if the processor or whatever if it gets too hot. I'm going to send mine somewhere to get a full service and clean out so it can cool itself better.

Will let you know if it fixes the issue or not.

Message 9 of 23 (1,693 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Sep 14, 2012
One Word...

Ghost!
Message 10 of 23 (1,678 Views)
0 Likes