Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 04 2012
By: partys4food First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 freezing on both downloaded and disc games

3 replies 540 views Edited Sep 4, 2012

Hello, I have a 160 gb slim, it is about a year and a half old.  I can play games such as Castlevania, MLB the show or any God of War games fine.  But other games such as Mass Effect 2, it always freezes at the point when the "gold loading disc" is spinning at the bottom left hand corner. This happens the exact same way wether the disc is physically in the ps3 or when I try to play it downloaded from PSN. When I try to play skyrim, it plays fine for a while, but then all the graphics start pulling twards the middle of the world (seems to happen the most when graphics get intense)  Also Battlefield 3 also freezes after playing for about 5 minuets. 

This is what I have done to try and fix it:  I have reformatted everything to defalt like 5 times as I could give a crap less what I have saved, but to no avail. I have changed out hdd, that did not resolve the problem. The ps3 itself is in an open area and to my knowlege it has never overheated, although the hdmi cable seems to get hot were I plug it in (is that normail??)  If it was the blu ray drive itself would that mean that downloaded games would still play normally? I have searched and searched on the net but cannot find anyone with this same problem.

Also the files seem to be corrupted no matter what, everytime I go into safemode and reformat , thats what it tells me, even after I had the new hdd installed, at this point I realize that I prolly got to get a new system but I am so freeken courious to what is causing the problem. I mostly read that when motherboard goes out the system turns on and off, and I am having no issues with that, like I said it works fine on many new and old games, but some games it just does not at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (540 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Re: PS3 freezing on both downloaded and disc games

Sep 4, 2012
Sounds like you may be having issues with your HDD. There is a procedure to boot the system into a safemode. You will need to restore your file system. I would suggest contacting playstation @ 1-800-345-SONY(7669). Or you can follow the steps outlined in the Knowledge Center/Support link below. or simply click this:

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1488

Be sure to follow the intstructions provided and then select option 3 - restore file system
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (536 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 29, 2012

As i stated I have already did these steps as I have reformatted everything as well as change out hard dirve. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (506 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7966 posts

Sep 29, 2012

If you can try to install a new 2.5" drive. Reformatting doesn't always repair these types of problems.

If installing a new drive doesn't work you may want to look into getting your system reballed. Since this problem seems to be with the hard drive or the motherboard. It could be either one with the way you explaned the graphics going crazy and the freezing.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/rseverclear/Lightemuprsteele2.png

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (502 Views)
0 Likes