Lombax Warrior
207 posts

Re: PS3 fan suddenly noisier than before

Jul 12, 2010

@Scarface:

Why do you think the fan stays in high gear after one quits the game and returns to the XMB?

This is what boggles my mind as it should cool down since the processor and drive are less strained.

However the only way to lower the fan is to turn off the system.

D4RkNIKON wrote:

Yeah mine does that too some times, when I am playing a game that uses more of the PS3's processing power. MAG does it some times, Uncharted 2 has done it and GOW3. It doesn't happen often but when the fan kicks into overdrive, it is loud and lasts a long time before restoring back to it's normal speed. The only thing that I can do to stop it is to shut down the PS3 and start it back up. I don't even keep my console in a hot or cluttered place. I also use Dust Off to clean out the dust that collects inside of the console. I don't want to get a YLOD so when ever the fan does that it freaks me out. 

Well that is interesting as I just realized since I started playing Uncharted 2 a few weeks ago the fan has been kicking into high gear.

Surprisingly while I was playing Metal Gear Solid 4 before that, it never produced such fan activity eventhough that probably also is a processor demanding game.

Omen signs in shape of things to come

Message 11 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
207 posts

Jul 12, 2010

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
Although most people don't even think of this, but when the PS3 fan is running fast/loud the cooling effect is even better than at the lower speeds. You should only be concerned it your PS3 is still hot after it hits the high speeds for awhile...

How should one detect if the PS3 is still hot, by feeling the machine or the exhaust vents?

The heat is exhausted at the rear side of the console and gets quite hot with allot less hot air exhaust on the right side.

Is this indicative of proper operation?

Omen signs in shape of things to come

Message 12 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 12, 2010

RogueSerpent wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
Although most people don't even think of this, but when the PS3 fan is running fast/loud the cooling effect is even better than at the lower speeds. You should only be concerned it your PS3 is still hot after it hits the high speeds for awhile...

How should one detect if the PS3 is still hot, by feeling the machine or the exhaust vents?

The heat is exhausted at the rear side of the console and gets quite hot with allot less hot air exhaust on the right side.

Is this indicative of proper operation?

I'm referring to the top cover of the console, I found it gets cool to the touch when the fan runs at a high speed for awhile...

Message 13 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1372 posts

Jul 12, 2010

RogueSerpent wrote:

@Scarface:

Why do you think the fan stays in high gear after one quits the game and returns to the XMB?

This is what boggles my mind as it should cool down since the processor and drive are less strained.

However the only way to lower the fan is to turn off the system.

Thats the thing that just bugged me so much after testing these units.  Some units would go back down to normal 2nd or 3rd fan level while at xmb, but others would stay in 4th or 5th level no matter how long the console stayed on. 

When i ran these tests, i ran each console the same way.  Airconditioned room to about 74 degrees, standing vertical and horizontal, open ventilation with absolutely nothing surrounding the console.  I went as far as keeping the units on for over 12 hours (for the ones that stayed in high gear even at xmb).  It just surprised me how some of these consoles were barely warm to the touch and the fans kept in high gear.  This is what led me to believe it had to be a faulty sensor or fan itself.

Majority of the systems I tested sayed in 3rd fan level at xmb and never went down (15 blade PS3).  A few 19 blade ones still ramped up to high gears but came down to about 2nd fan level at xmb, and several also stayed in 3rd fan level.  What shocked me was a few 19 blade systems (serial #CE136) manufactured Feb/March 2007 ramped up to 5th fan level within 15-20 minutes of game play while the console was cool to the touch. 

Im sorry i cant explain why this happens, its obvious its a faulty function somewhere in the ps3's cooling system. As long as your system is functioning properly and the system is properly cooling, i wouldnt worry about the fan noise. 

PS3 60GB Launch Owner (HDD upgraded to 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue), PS3 Slim 160GB, Apple Iphone 4S (white)

Message 14 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1372 posts

Jul 12, 2010

RogueSerpent wrote:

Well that is interesting as I just realized since I started playing Uncharted 2 a few weeks ago the fan has been kicking into high gear.

Surprisingly while I was playing Metal Gear Solid 4 before that, it never produced such fan activity eventhough that probably also is a processor demanding game.

I honestly think that the gameplay of uncharted 2 requires more of a processor demand than MGS4.  Graphically and the enviornents just seemed like they used alot more processing demand.  Dont get me wrong, MGS4 cutscenes were simply badass but unless you were fighting a boss in MGS4, I didnt think the game required nearly as much processor demand s uncharted 2.  Although games like Uncharted 2, MGS4, Resistance 2, MW2 or any COD game never made my fan ramp up, GTA4 had the tendency to warm up my console real quick and the fan would ramp up at times.  This did not happen during multiplayer features of the game. 

PS3 60GB Launch Owner (HDD upgraded to 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue), PS3 Slim 160GB, Apple Iphone 4S (white)

Message 15 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Jul 12, 2010

My 60 gig use to ramp the fan speed up a bit more than it did in the beginning until I replaced the thermal paste and allowed curing time for the paste. Now I hardly ever even hear any fan sound from my system even after leaving it running 24/7. The thing is the fan and temperatures could also be linked to how well the thermal paste is doing it's job to transfer the heat away from the processor and the cell. Maybe a few test should be run on different consoles and keep a record of how the temperatures and fan speeds are effected by different thermal paste compared to the original paste that was used in manufacturing.

Another thing is where exactly is the temp sensor and what type of system/technology is used to control fan speed. If the fan uses a multi speed switch system then it would mean it needs at least 4 or 5 different resistors for each speed. Or does it use a digital fan speed control where a single module controls the fan speed via a digital on/off signal that increases to speed the fan up and decreases when the fan isn't needed as much. Digital fans are much more efficient and use less power than the old analog multi speed system does. 

Message 16 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
277 posts

Jul 13, 2010

my 80 gb 4 usb console gets really hot and i can feel the heat when i touch the side of it.

the fans get pretty loud and stay that way throughout gameplay. The high fan speeds don't cool it down and it remains hot/warm all throughout usage.

Message 17 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jul 22, 2010

This is an interesting thread. I've recently also had annoying fan noise on my CECHG01 40GB PS3 model (2 1/2 years old not backwards compatible), as described in the original post. What I've really noticed impacts fan noise is room temperature, especially since this issue started this summer for me and this is the 1st summer I've played my PS3. When room temperature is 26.7 Celsius in my house (normal for a human), the fans kick into high gear within 10 minutes of playing any game. But at 22Celsius, the fans operate quietly. The PS3's manual says operating temp is between 5-35 C (41-95 F). I'm assuming it hits at least 30 C while playing games at a room temperature of 27 and likely goes over that once processing kicks in. Hence why the fans are making so much noise... This is my speculation anyway...

I think it's unreasonable to have 35 degrees as the max operating temperature to begin with...

I know fans/ cooling systems vary on different PS3 models but at what room temperature did everyone else here noticed their fans kicking in on loud (i.e. noticeably loud in a quiet/ semi-quiet room)?

Also, is it possible that replacing the blu-ray drive on the PS3 could somehow contribute to having more fan noise? I just got my PS3 back from repair (SONY replaced my Blu-ray drive) and I noticed the fans operate loudly after this repair (like in original post).

Message 18 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
314 posts

Jul 22, 2010

Replace your thermal paste as soon as possible.  Do not turn it on until then, unless absolutely necessary.

Message 19 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2438 posts

Jul 22, 2010

RogueSerpent wrote:

Since a month I have noticed my 60 GB PS3 has gotten significantly noisier than the whisper quiet sound I was used to.

I have had my PS3 for 3 years and never noticed the fans producing a noticeable level of sound.

Now after I start playing a game for 10 minutes the fan will kick into high gear producing a loud sound and heat from the vents.

If I then decide to quit the game and go to the XMB the fan will stay in high gear and won't lower untill I shut down the PS3.

It seems as though the heat is trapped because of faulty air circulation within the PS3 as I discovered through research.

Needless to say I have the PS3 in an open ventilated space and have kept the vents dust free with a light vacuum cleaner.

I have heard some PS3 models have a 15 bladed fan instead of the superior 19 bladed model, this is my only explanation.

This doesn't however explain why all of a sudden it became noisy but more important is to find a method to reduce the high fan activity.

Since the heat and high fan activity is worrisome to me, do any of you have advice on a solution for this problem?

I would replace compound on CPU and GPU. Sony has applied cheap one - it is probably already hard and does not conduct heat as it should. Use Arctic Sliver.

Message 20 of 27 (598 Views)
0 Likes