Jul 10 2010
By: RogueSerpent Lombax Warrior 207 posts

PS3 fan suddenly noisier than before

26 replies 8478 views Edited Jul 10, 2010

Since a month I have noticed my 60 GB PS3 has gotten significantly noisier than the whisper quiet sound I was used to.

I have had my PS3 for 3 years and never noticed the fans producing a noticeable level of sound.

Now after I start playing a game for 10 minutes the fan will kick into high gear producing a loud sound and heat from the vents.

If I then decide to quit the game and go to the XMB the fan will stay in high gear and won't lower untill I shut down the PS3.

It seems as though the heat is trapped because of faulty air circulation within the PS3 as I discovered through research.

Needless to say I have the PS3 in an open ventilated space and have kept the vents dust free with a light vacuum cleaner.

I have heard some PS3 models have a 15 bladed fan instead of the superior 19 bladed model, this is my only explanation.

This doesn't however explain why all of a sudden it became noisy but more important is to find a method to reduce the high fan activity.

Since the heat and high fan activity is worrisome to me, do any of you have advice on a solution for this problem?

Omen signs in shape of things to come

Message 1 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: PS3 fan suddenly noisier than before

Jul 10, 2010
Most 60GB PS3s have the 15 blade fan, so you might want to think about replacing it, if you need one.

Also your thermal grease has probably dried out, and needs to be replaced.

I detailed all of this and more in a guide I wrote:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/3-tips-for-a-Cooler-Running-and-Greener-PS3...
Message 2 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Jul 10, 2010

i suggest you back up every week or so sounds like the thermal paste is drying up and soon after it all dries up bad things will happen or you could try and applying some new thermal paste good youtube vids on how to take apart and put back together phat PS3s

Message 3 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1372 posts

Jul 10, 2010

You can give it a try, but swithching to a 19 blade fan will not solve your noise problems.  Cleaning and reapplying thermal paste will have a bigger effect.  I spent a couple years testing every possible unit i could get my hands on and documented everything I did.

Majority of the US 60GB PS3's have the 15 bladed fan, with the exception of US Launch (japan made) 60GB PS3's, and some china manufactured 60GB PS3's in the later serial #'s.  CE121-125 have roughly all 15 bladed fans, with the exception of a few that had the system manufactured in Japan, have the 19 blade.  CE126-CE136 also have a small number of 19 blade fans, with the majority being 15 bladed.  CE137-CE140 all have the 15 bladed fans.

The biggest difference between the 15 and 19 blade fan, is that the 19 blade pushes more air in 2nd fan level, which is near equivalent to a 15 blade in 3rd fan level.  This bit of difference, keeps the 19 blades a bit quieter for a little bit longer period of time (not apparent in all 19 bladed ps3 though), untill the 3rd fan level ramps up.  The difference between the 2 fans is the type of noise they produce.  The 15 bladed produce more of an annoying whine noise while the 19 bladed fans sound more like a rush of air..however the noise in terms of DB is about the same.

I have tested several 19 bladed PS3's that were just as loud as the 15 blade, and several that were louder.  Most of the 19 bladed PS3's i tested also had the problem of jumping into max fan level within minutes, and would only drop to 4th fan level at idle and stayed that way till ps3 shut off.  So in conclusion, there are 15 bladed PS3's that run quieter than some 19 bladed ones, and 19 bladed ones that run quieter than 15 bladed ones.  The problem with the fans ramping up does not necessarily have to do with how many blades the fans have, but has to do with thermal paste, faulty sensor, or heatsink issue.  The reason why every PS3 (whether new out of box) differs in fan noise.

PS3 60GB Launch Owner (HDD upgraded to 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue), PS3 Slim 160GB, Apple Iphone 4S (white)

Message 4 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
207 posts

Jul 10, 2010

Thanks for the very helpful feedback guys.

It is great to attain a clearer comprehension of methods to resolve thisissue and extend my PS3's lifespan.

I will start with replacing the thermal paste and consider replacing the fan.

Great guide Dolphin very educational material, never had thought power supply could be an issue.

Seems logic.

Scarface could you explain how one can detect wether a faulty sensor or heatsink is the cause of the issue at hand?

Thanks again fellas.

Omen signs in shape of things to come

Message 5 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1372 posts

Jul 10, 2010

Thats the thing, I cant explain how to tell if the heatsink or the sensors are bad.  Thats not my area of expertise.  I only narrowed it down to those options.  I dont think sony themselves could explain why the fan noise or ramp ups are different in each ps3.  The major issue seems to be the thermal paste, I dont know how the manufacturing process has changed over the years but what i do know is that the thermal paste is applied manually on the chips.  In some cases the thermal paste is overapplied, improperly applied, or just underapplied.  Just one of the things that could explain fans ramping up overtime or all the time. But it does not explain a ps3 running in overdrive within a few minutes and still barely warm to the touch.  Thats where i think it could be a faulty heatsink or sensors, or faulty fans.  If someone is willing to go through the trouble of figuring that out, good for them...but it should have been sony trying to figure out when alot of noise complaints were sent to them. 

Is a 19 blade fan better than a 15 blade?  Ofcourse it is, it just makes more sense for a fan to have more blades..i dont know why sony cheaped out and installed 15 blades..some may argue that 19 bladed ps3's have less chance of YLOD.  But thats kind of hard to make such a statement considering that plenty of 19 bladed fans always ran in over drive (the ones i tested). 

Only thing we can do is what has already been mentioned before.  Dust out the ps3, reapply thermal paste, install a 19 blade fan, and pray that doing this will help the system keep its normal operation. 

If your wondering what is my conclusion of the appropriate fan level on the B/C PS3, its 3rd fan level.  During gaming or movie playback, it is normal for a b/c ps3 to run at this fan level.  If it ramps up to 4th during extended play or during gameplay or games where the ps3 is working at its hardest, its completely normal.  IS the 3rd fan level noisy?  I would say its a bit annoying when the room is completely quiet, but not loud by any means. 

My US launch 60GB (manufactured in october 2006) serial #CE122, unfortunately has the 15 bladed fan just like most PS3.  However, it is quieter than most.  It will only run in 3rd fan level during gaming or movie playback, but at idle it comes back down to 2nd fan level. Something very rare for a 15 bladed ps3 to do, plenty of 19 bladed ones didnt even idle at fan level 2. After 4 years, it still retained its normal fan operation. Thanks to how i take care of it and a little bit of luck maybe.  I havnt thought about replacing it with a 19 blade yet, my 15 blade seems to be doing just fine at keeping the ps3 cool and quiet. 

PS3 60GB Launch Owner (HDD upgraded to 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue), PS3 Slim 160GB, Apple Iphone 4S (white)

Message 6 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1910 posts

Jul 11, 2010
My ps3 was fix but I still got noisy fan when kick on high gear after playing nhl 10 or while in main menu of nhl 10 fan kicks in high gear but so far she fine. I think it muss be new cooling way to cool ps3 off.My thermal paste was done back in March by warranty people After they fix from the dead my fan still kick on high gear they said that was normal. So I wouldn't be to worry. hehe I got portable AC where I can move around my room with heat go out to my window and I can blow on my ps3 if I wanted tooSmiley Happy If my consoles with in a year I might be done with consoles I got super fast computer now AMD X6 core 1055T system .
New PS3 Slim 160 Version upgrade to 500gig Smiley Very Happy. Dec 18, 2010.
Message 7 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1372 posts

Jul 11, 2010

robertmc8 wrote:
My ps3 was fix but I still got noisy fan when kick on high gear after playing nhl 10 or while in main menu of nhl 10 fan kicks in high gear but so far she fine. I think it muss be new cooling way to cool ps3 off.My thermal paste was done back in March by warranty people After they fix from the dead my fan still kick on high gear they said that was normal. So I wouldn't be to worry. hehe I got portable AC where I can move around my room with heat go out to my window and I can blow on my ps3 if I wanted tooSmiley Happy If my consoles with in a year I might be done with consoles I got super fast computer now AMD X6 core 1055T system .

Your 40GB ps3 should not be running in high gear whatsoever.  Back when these were released, i heard and seen a few cases where the 40GB would kick into high gear even if the console was cool to the touch.  The 40GB produces less heat than the b/c models, and is mostly whisper quiet.  Majority of the ones ive had hands on have been silent but a couple had the same problem as you.  While watching a movie or playing a game, or even at xmb, the fans would go in blow dryer mode..to the point where its unbearable and you want to throw the damn thing out the window.  The only time it should run in high gear is if your playing for extended periods of time or if your room temp is like 90+ degrees..and if you got it crammed in a tight space.  But then again, I dont know what your interpretation of "high gear" is compared to mine..it might not be as loud as your making it seem.   

But if it doesnt bother you, thats all that matters.

Message 8 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
306 posts

Jul 11, 2010

Yeah mine does that too some times, when I am playing a game that uses more of the PS3's processing power. MAG does it some times, Uncharted 2 has done it and GOW3. It doesn't happen often but when the fan kicks into overdrive, it is loud and lasts a long time before restoring back to it's normal speed. The only thing that I can do to stop it is to shut down the PS3 and start it back up. I don't even keep my console in a hot or cluttered place. I also use Dust Off to clean out the dust that collects inside of the console. I don't want to get a YLOD so when ever the fan does that it freaks me out. 

K3R0SENE Official Thread
Message 9 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 12, 2010
Although most people don't even think of this, but when the PS3 fan is running fast/loud the cooling effect is even better than at the lower speeds. You should only be concerned it your PS3 is still hot after it hits the high speeds for awhile...
Message 10 of 27 (8,478 Views)
0 Likes