First Son
14 posts

Re: PS3 fan suddenly noisier than before

Jul 23, 2010

Most people suggest replacing the thermal paste/ compound. Could room temperature be the real issue instead though? At 25Celsius (77F) room temp my PS3 hits 30C (86 F) when idling on the XMB screen, gets hotter when processing (normal), and then the fans kick into loud to cool it (it doesn't say it's over heating). I'm assuming it's normal for the fans to kick into loud when room temperature is hot to begin with and you're not using air conditioning. 

I mean everyone says thermal paste, change it, but maybe that's not the real issue...

Message 21 of 27 (341 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 23, 2010

Ann-XOR wrote:

Most people suggest replacing the thermal paste/ compound. Could room temperature be the real issue instead though? At 25Celsius (77F) room temp my PS3 hits 30C (86 F) when idling on the XMB screen, gets hotter when processing (normal), and then the fans kick into loud to cool it (it doesn't say it's over heating). I'm assuming it's normal for the fans to kick into loud when room temperature is hot to begin with and you're not using air conditioning. 

I mean everyone says thermal paste, change it, but maybe that's not the real issue...

The orginal thermal grease needs to be replaced in any case IMO, it has been found time and time again that it will eventually dry out and then the PS3 won't be able to cool itself effectively. The room temperature does effect the fan speed and how quickly it levels up, but the most important thing you can do it to replace the original thermal grease with a better performing and stable compound.

Message 22 of 27 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Jul 23, 2010

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Ann-XOR wrote:

The orginal thermal grease needs to be replaced in any case IMO, it has been found time and time again that it will eventually dry out and then the PS3 won't be able to cool itself effectively. The room temperature does effect the fan speed and how quickly it levels up, but the most important thing you can do it to replace the original thermal grease with a better performing and stable compound.

You got that right. Also once the paste has lost it's efficiency the room temperature or extra fans/coolers are not going to make any difference because the heat isn't being transfered away from the chips. 

Message 23 of 27 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Jul 23, 2010

mine did this to... and then it broke.. so id be careful

"If it bleeds, we can Kill it"

Good old arnold- Predator
Message 24 of 27 (341 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Aug 11, 2010

I sent my PS3 in for repair about this noise issue and this was what they replaced/ repaired, according to the slip they gave me:

(Note= this is my 2nd time sending my PS3 for repair, SONY changed the Blu-ray Drive cause it stop reading disks 1st time around)

Repaired> BGA CECHG01 (40GB model) MCB (I take it that's the Ball Grid Array and the Circuit Breaker?)

Replaced> NFF BD Drive (I take it that's the Blu-Ray Drive, this was originally the concern of my 1st repair)

Replaced> Hard Drive

Hope this helps someone.

P.S. They did all 2nd changes for free since it was within warranty of 1st repair they did.

Message 25 of 27 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Jan 6, 2012

I know this post is from 2007 and wanted to share what I learned. I purchased my PS3 in 2007 and has lasted 4 years with no problems. The fan started to get loud last year, I would turn it on and after 2 minutes the fan would kick into high gear. I did not play any games or watch movies, this is just letting it sit on the XMB screen. I took it apart and cleaned it out really good and applied new thermal paste on the GSX and CPU. No luck, the fan still would kick into high gear and my place is always a constant 68 degrees! It lasted another year like this and I just experienced YLOD two weeks ago. I tried taking it apart again to clean it out and reapplied new paste, no luck! I tried using the heat gun method to reflow the solder on the motherboard and still no dice! I was about to give up but I really need to get it back up and running so I could transfer all of my data to my new 120gb slim ps3. I was amazed that a simply hair dryer did the trick!!!! I removed the hard drive and turned the PS3 upside down and blew the hair dryer(on high heat, high fan) into the exhaust vents of the fan. I moved the hair back and forth across the vents for 15minutes then turn the hair dryer to the cold setting and repeat for another 15-20mins. I put the hard drive back in and plugged it in and had my fingers crossed. It powered up and I was able to transfer all of my data and I just sold it for $50. I know this is a quick fix and will not last, Sony said they could repair mine for $100.00 but I wanted the new slimmer PS3 anyway, runs so much cooler. I watched a blu-ray movie the other night and after the movie was over, the new slim was cool to the touch. If this was my old ps3, you would have been able to fry an egg on it, lol! I hope this helps. Happy gaming!

Message 26 of 27 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 7, 2012

You probably could have exchanged your PS3 into Sony for a Slim version for $99. Sony has been offering this option for some time now...

Message 27 of 27 (341 Views)
0 Likes