Mar 04 2011
By: PayneKiller1509 Fender Bender 3322 posts

PS3 fan is pretty much always running at highest setting

9 replies 8069 views Edited Mar 4, 2011

I need this to stop. I have a 80GB (Motorstorm) since DEC 2007 and I vacuum my PS3 and surrounding areas every 2 weeks or so but it still always goes to highest setting while playing games. It actually shut off due to overheating for the first time while playing Killzone 3 only for a few hours yesterday.

How can I get it to keep quieter? It's in a pretty open space so ventilation shouldn't have been a problem.

This is where it was

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk290/mad_sickhead/gaming%20setup/P1020314.jpghttp://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk290/mad_sickhead/gaming%20setup/P1020315.jpg

And to make things simpler I moved the DirecTV reciever on top of the DVD player, got rid of the useless VCR and moved the 24 DVDs to a cabinet so it's the only thing on the 2nd shelf now (TV being on the 1st) beside the HD antenna.

So what can be done? Or should I just throw this problem on a cousin who wants to buy it from me and get the new slim?

Message 1 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: PS3 fan is pretty much always running at highest setting

Mar 4, 2011

Your issue is probably the thermal paste on your CPU & GPU has dried up and needs to be replaced. I would advise you stop using your PS3 until you have this done or you risk getting the YLOD.

Please see my guide for details: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/781243?tstart=0

Message 2 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Mar 4, 2011

Mainly what Logical said.

Next time, do not use a vacuum on any electronic device. It generates a lot of            static electricity that can damage the internal components of your electronic device. If you need to use a vacuum to clean the inside of your device, use a portable battery powered vacuum designed to do this job            or try using compressed air.

Message 3 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 4, 2011

You should get a new Slim, transfer all your data, and sell the old PS3 to your cousin. Let him deal with it.

Whatever you do, you should have your important data backed up. If your PS3 croaks, then your data is gone until you revive it.

Message 4 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3322 posts

Mar 4, 2011

Hi I saw your thread shortly after posting this, but I sent my PS3 in to gophermods just last summer to change the thermal paste.

And @Jimnay If I don't use a vacuum to dust it then what? Compressed air is the worst idea. I think I'll just ignore your advice.

Message 5 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 4, 2011

PayneKiller1509 wrote:

And @Jimnay If I don't use a vacuum to dust it then what? Compressed air is the worst idea. I think I'll just ignore your advice.

Compressed air's just fine. A bit of dust accumulates in weird spots like screw holes and mounting tabs, but they don't affect the console. If you use a compressor, don't overrev the blower fan and you should be okay. If you use an aerosol can, don't invert the can and shoot freezing spray even if it's funny.

Message 6 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3322 posts

Mar 4, 2011

I can open it up and do that sure, but I don't bother myself with opening it up that often just for cleanups so if I don't that would just be blowing more dust deeper inside there.

Message 7 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 5, 2011

PayneKiller1509 wrote:

Hi I saw your thread shortly after posting this, but I sent my PS3 in to gophermods just last summer to change the thermal paste.

You better contant Gophermods again, because apparently they didn't do a good job. The problem you are having isn't caused by dust but by inproper cooling. My guess is that Gophermods didn't re-assemble your system back correctly and there isn't a firm contact between the GPU/CPU and the heatsink. Because of this the fan is going to a high speed quickly...

Message 8 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Mar 5, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

PayneKiller1509 wrote:

You better contant Gophermods again, because apparently they didn't do a good job. The problem you are having isn't caused by dust but by inproper cooling. My guess is that Gophermods didn't re-assemble your system back correctly and there isn't a firm contact between the GPU/CPU and the heatsink. Because of this the fan is going to a high speed quickly...

That's true. To the OP, if you can, try going back there and tell them to re-assemble the cooler to be fully attached to the CPU/GPU. Avoid playing the system until you get it fixed in a short time, otherwise, your PS3 will get a YLOD.

It so happens that I've done this before (not a PS3, but with a laptop) when I was putting back together the laptop and turned it on, the fan speed would be going really fast. I felt under the laptop and its hot. And the computer shuts off so I unplugged it and open up the laptop again and checked the heatsink. It was secured enough so i fixed it and booted it up again, the fan speed is normal like it should be.

Message 9 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
379 posts

Apr 19, 2012

A year late I know, but recently ran into this thread.

First off, I have been taking apart ps3's since launch and have thorough experience with cpu/gpu clean offs, with followed trouble after reassembly.

Second, it's not a bad thing your fan is running at max speed all the time. Unless the noise and the power consumption concerns you, it's the safest thing for you're ps3, tbh.

Third, the reason it most likely is running @ max speed after a recent cpu/gpu clean, is during reassembly they smashed one of the fan wires. Sever that, and an the fan no longer auto adjust, it runs at max. It;s pretty easy to do on accident during reassembly, if they plugged your fan wire in first, while connecting mother board and heat cooler tray together, instead of feeding the wire threw and connecting later. It's really easy to get  wires smashed up in there and torn.

Again, a year late, but I hope you didnt run out and buy a new ps3. I love my fat, and have had it forever. I invested in some good tools, thermal grease and a heat gun, and its saved me lots of money in the long run. About every 4 months I go through a YLOD, but it is enjoyable to break the sucker apart, and by now, it only takes me 5 minutes top to disassemble and reassemble with new thermal coating (not taking into account heating the motherboard and rest time).

Message 10 of 10 (8,069 Views)
0 Likes