Jul 06 2011
By: Tydmors First Son 4 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 does not start up, shuts down and beeps 3 times-displays a green light and then 3 red lights

14 replies 15894 views Edited Jul 6, 2011

Hi there,

My PS3 does not want to start up today, i played a game last night and then like normal, exited the game and switched off my console.

but today after work, when i tried to switch on my pc3 it did not want to go on.

it goes on for a split second and ten beeps 3 times with a red light per beep.

there is no visible yellow light.

I bought the thing in November and i play about 3 days a week about 4 hours per session.

it cannot be an overheating issue beause it was off for more than 18 hours since i switched it off last night.

Any Ideas?

Message 1 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: PS3 does not start up, shuts down and beeps 3 times-displays a green light and then 3 red lights

Jul 6, 2011

its been hacked yo!!!   psn was down all day yesterday from my part of the world...midwest usa...and now none of my bluetooth controllers are working....hackers got em real good now,but youll never hear it from playstation...theyll have to replace all hard ware to fix thiss issue,,,thats why i got insurance on all my shit i even got it onb all my controolers gona turn it all in tomorow!!!~ goood luck bro

Message 2 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
76 posts

Re: PS3 does not start up, shuts down and beeps 3 times-displays a green light and then 3 red lights

Jul 6, 2011

I am sorry you had bad luck. PSN is back up now. You have to change your password on your account. Just becareful and don't give out your info, because thats why hackers get you. Plus don't shaire your account with anyone because thats why hackers take your stuff. Only trust people you know well.

(465gb playstation 3 system) I got my ps3 between 2006-2008. Games I play online: Little Big Planet,LBP2,Sacred 2 Fallen Angel,Gran Turismo 5 Prologue,Gran Turismo 5,Tekken 6,Full Auto Battlelines 2,Sonic The Hedghog,Smackdown Vs Raw 2008,Untold Legends Dark Kingdom,Soul Calibur IV, GTA IV,Lego Rock Band,Rideg Racer 7,White Knight Chronicals,Need For Speed Prostreet,Need For Speed Shift,Nascar 08,Killzone 2,Lego Starwars the complete saga,chaotic shadow warriors,Modnation Racers,Marvel Ultimate alliance,Marvel super hero squad infinity gauntlet,Dungeon siege 3,Guitar Hero III,Skylanders spyros adventures.

downloads: Warhawk,Frogger Return,Fatproncess,Pixel racers,Pixel monsters,Trine,D-A-C,DC universe,D&DSmiley Very Happyaggerdale,Warhammer40,000:Kill Team.

"Treat others as you expect others to treat you...!!!"
Message 3 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 6, 2011

i do not play games online because here in South Africa, our internet is still a bit slow, i think i might have been logged into my psn account last night, about 20 hours ago.

i changed my pw with the last Sony hack.

Message 4 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 6, 2011

Do you have a PS3 fat or slim model?

The yellow light only shows for a split second and is easy to miss, so I suggest you look again.

Message 5 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 6, 2011

It is a slim model (cech2104b), it is a 250gb model that i bought late 2010.

i just checked again and there is definately no yellow light just a green one and then three red ones. and then it starts blinking(red).

Message 6 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7106 posts

Jul 6, 2011

whodeycincy wrote:

its been hacked yo!!!   psn was down all day yesterday from my part of the world...midwest usa...and now none of my bluetooth controllers are working....hackers got em real good now,but youll never hear it from playstation...theyll have to replace all hard ware to fix thiss issue,,,thats why i got insurance on all my **** i even got it onb all my controolers gona turn it all in tomorow!!!~ goood luck bro

I live in the Midwest as well and it was mostly fine for me.  A quick search shoes that Sony has been doing maintenance on the PSN.  Either way, this thread is about a hardware issue, not PSN.  If it was actually hacked, more people would be reporting the same problems.

Message 7 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 7, 2011

Tydmors wrote:

It is a slim model (cech2104b), it is a 250gb model that i bought late 2010.

i just checked again and there is definately no yellow light just a green one and then three red ones. and then it starts blinking(red).

In any case it looks like a problem where you need your system repaired. I don't know what Sony's prescence is in South Africa, but you should have Sony repair it if you can...

Message 8 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 7, 2011

I have just spoken to a repair center andIt seems like it is a motherboard issue.

I need to send it in and get it exchanged, luckily it is still under warranty.

thanks all.

Message 9 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
376 posts

Jul 8, 2011

RED LIGHT indicates a power problem, what your ps3 is doing is over heating or the power is not supplying the correct voltage(power failing), when mine did this i had a bad power supply, it turned red a few times and then soon the system was completely dead and wont turn on at all, get a power supply off ebay and replace it. if u turn the power off from the back alot this is definately your problem!

Message 10 of 15 (15,894 Views)
0 Likes