I Only Post Everything
942 posts

Re: PS3 disc read error, and freezing. HELP!!

Nov 26, 2009

delta_hunter wrote:
ya ive been trying to fix it all day. it seems that if i leave it alone for awhile, and get back on it will work for about an hour, then it goes into its regular freeze mode at the beginning or end of a MW2 match. it mostly freezes when you are about to launch into a game from the pre-game setup. and it freezes at the very end when it has all the scores up. it never freezes in mid game ever. so right now im playing in little gaps of time.

Ya, same thing with mine. It's only going to get worse. That 1 hour you have to play after leaving it off for a while, will turn into 5 minutes before it freezes again. You're going to need to get it fixed eventually. 

Spham23 Trophy Card
Message 11 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Nov 26, 2009

I've had that happen to me too (freezing) during multiplayer lobby. What I would do is just turn off the PS3 from the front.

My friend had it happen to him as well, although it occured after updating his Tekken 6. His PS3 (60gb fat) stopped reading any blue-ray discs. His solution was, traded it at gamestop for a ps3 slim, only paid $70 out of pocket. I guess the fat version is still worth something. 

Message 12 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 26, 2009

I have the same thing going on, bud.  I'm also really disappointed to see no official description of the problem from Sony.

Mine started right after I installed Borderlands.  Game froze, then my system could no longer read blu-rays.  CDs and DVDs are just peachy.  I've since tried every possible solution, inlcuding putting the original hard drive back in, repairing the file structure or whatever, and factory reset.  Nothing works.  Luckily I bought a warranty from Sony that's good until 9/19/2010.  I was just hoping I could get it working, since quite literally every game I was anticipating for the next year came out in the last month.

My notorious-for-failure launch PS2 marches on to this day; my 1 year old bulletproof PS3 dies in a year.  My luck has a sense of humor, apparently.  Looks like I'm out of luck for a few weeks... Dr. Nefarious will have to wait.

Message 13 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Nov 26, 2009
This has happened to me a lot, like in stranglehold and Assassins Creed 2, I think it has something to do with my 120gb ps3 slim but i just hope it is not getting messed up on the inside!
cruton13
Message 14 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Nov 26, 2009
ya i just got on again, and it played fine for 45 mins. then freeze again. at the end of my match. i went 48 and 6 to.
Mag Beta Valor Camo Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 15 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Jan 5, 2010
you can add me to the list. MW2 broke my ps3. Froze at end of the game as the scores showed, had to restart and when xmb loaded no disk showed. after several reboots it worked but only for an hour at most. I've tried repair file system/database nothing will work for more than a few minutes. This includes all games now.
--------------------------------------------
I just got YLOD, no joke.....
although the refurbished one is shiny?
Well the refurbished one no longer reads Blu-Rays... thanks to MW2. Smiley Sad
Goodbye 60gb Hello Slim :-/
Message 16 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 12, 2010

has anybody with this problem sent it to sony and got a succesfull fix?

this just started happening to my ps3, exactly like the rest of u.... mw2, disk read errors... now everythings buggered

Message 17 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 13, 2010
Mine was under warranty.  I called, they sent a box, off it went and back it came a week or so later.  I'm pretty sure it's not *my* unit, but that's how those places usually operate.  Add yours to the "fix" pile and take one off the "done" pile.  It's in good condition, so I'm all good.
Message 18 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 13, 2010

Erdie wrote:
Mine was under warranty.  I called, they sent a box, off it went and back it came a week or so later.  I'm pretty sure it's not *my* unit, but that's how those places usually operate.  Add yours to the "fix" pile and take one off the "done" pile.  It's in good condition, so I'm all good.

Oh, and mine was definitely a problem with the blu-ray diode or something else specific to reading blu-rays.  CD/PSone discs worked, DVDs worked, it was just blu-rays that failed.

Message 19 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

Jan 13, 2010
I was playing COD:MW2 as well and it froze, i tried to turn off normal and it wouldn't, it just kept beeping. Then after that it stopped reading any blu-ray and  it did read any discs it would freeze after minutes. This sounds like what you have, I had to send it to sony for $150 :[. I got it back and it works again. It was a pain in the A**
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - UareN00BZ
Message 20 of 22 (502 Views)
0 Likes